What's Wrong with My New Rig?

Bonz

Spec's: i7-7820 on ZUES X299 Motherboard, GeForce 1080 Super-clocked 8GB Video Card, 32GB of RAM, Windows 10 operating system on C-Drive which is a 1TB M.2 SSD drive mounted directly on the Motherboard. DCS worked well on old rig but motherboard presumably got hit during storm (Harvey) and I lost all my USB ports... among other things... So decided to upgrade... however, now DCS is taking longer to load (Go figure?) and quits for no apparent reason... very soon afterwards. Any suggestions?

Bonz

I just got a new computer with a x299 motherboard also (but a i9). Cyberpower never updated the bios, still at June, when there have been many updates since then, and their overclocking was poor. After you update the bios, go into settings and boost the overclock to max per the pre-set overclocking settings. If you have the new samsung m.2 ssd, like I have, go to their website and download their driver update software, I'd guess that driver is old too.

If you can't find it with the Asus Auto Update tool ( happens quite often ) then download it manually and flash it with the same tool but choose local file as source.

If you use any special settings in Bios like Raid or special boot order, remember which what and how !

Good luck:book:

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I'm not ready to mess with my BIOS just yet. I've contacted ED through there support site and given them my LOG, .crash and other files. If necessary I will update my BIOS... actually I haven't even checked to see if it's out of date. My next step! I will post my LOG file here as well. Thanks for all the help.

Well, as you might not know, those boards for those new Intel CPUs had quite some bugs when they got released.

Update your Bios to the newest version first !

Update your drivers for CPU, Intel-ME, USB3 if needed, GPU, SSD/NVMe and THEN put the system under 1-2h heavy stress to validate it. If the system wont be able to pull through 1-2h of any torture test in non-overclocked conditions something is badly wrong.

Prime95 or IntelBurnTestv2 are 2 good examples to torture your system.

In IBTv2, choose "maximum" and let it run 3 loops minimum, better 5-10.

In prime95 let it run at least 1h, better = more

Also, how do other high end games perform ??

What board do you have exactly ?

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to update my BIOS... Haven't done this before. I have researched it and it seems straight forward on this new board. However, my dxdiag file indicates my current BIOS is 0218 (Prime X299 Deluxe from ASUS). The ASUS support website only lists three BIOS versions since the motherboard was released in June of 2017... 0402, 0503, and the current version 0802. My version isn't listed. So naturally I have questions. I know my motherboard is the Prime X299 Deluxe... I kept the box just so I would know. Am I reading my dxdiag file correctly? Halfway down the System page. Could this be a third party BIOS with a different name? even though this computer was built for me new by FRYs. I picked out the parts and they did the labor. Help...

The actual model name and version, regardless of what the box says, is printed on your motherboard, take that as the ultimate reference.

In addition, your motherboard software, if installed properly, should name everything you need to know. If it's an Asus, which we assume, the Software is Called Ai-Suite and should be in autostart and running as you read this.

Sometimes the Auto-Updater does not find the newest Bios despite their is one available. Once you know the model exactly (!) go to the vendor website and download the "newest" Bios they have, read the instructions and proceed as told. Usually you open the Update-Tool within the Suite and tell it to do a local update. You may have to unzip the Bios first and point the tool to the unzipped file. Once it flashes, do NOT interrupt it as it goes through one OR several reboots. Wait until it properly boots Windows again before you mess with the power button out of not knowing how it works, that could end in a non-booting board and headaches ( 2nd Bios rescue procedure etc. ). Some boards reboot 2-3x before it is finished, be patient.

Please read the manual before you flash, its a simple but also non-forgiving procedure if done utterly wrong.

Bonz, like I said before I have the same motherboard. There was a option under the bios to update the bios, no flash required. It went online to find the latest and did it all. Then go into the bios afterwards and do max overclocking. There should be several options for your chip, go with the max performance. It does all the voltage and other settings for you so you don't blow your chip out.

OK... looked at the motherboard and all I could fine on the board itself was Prime X299 series. The good news is that the Prime X299-A and the Prime X299 Deluxe motherboards both use the same BIOS 0802 as the current version. I downloaded CPU-Z and verified my board is the Deluxe version of the X299 series. It appears I will have to update the BIOS. I was planning to talk with ASUS support prior to the leap. But I have questions that maybe you folks can answer.

1. wrl11 - Since you have the same board and since you seem happy with the outcome of your BIOS update... does that mean you had problems running DCS World prior to the update and did the update fix your problem?

2. When I update... should I disconnect other equipment not needed for the operation such as Flight Controllers, Printers, extra monitors, TrackIR, Camera's, etc.?

3. Any last words of wisdom?

Bonz...

Can you list all your hardware of relevance ? Just for reference.

Maybe you should blank the drive(s) and do it all over again in the correct order.

Once your OS has installed, install the proper drivers for your crucial hardware 1st, with reboots, and then check performance with benchmarking apps before you install any other stuff & gimmicks.

0: Install newest Win10-64 version 1703 Build 15063.632

reboot

1: Intel-Chipset driver

reboot

2: Intel Management Inferface Engine

reboot

3: SSD/NVMe driver

reboot

4: USB 3.0 drivers

reboot

5: GPU driver

reboot

6: Sound driver

reboot

7: LAN/WLAN driver

reboot

Then check your overall performance with PASSMARK benchmarking app. Compare your speed with similar PC 's and post the result. In addition, if you own Aida64, run those benchmarks too and compare with others.

Man I really don't want to go that route. Everything else seems to be working fine. It seems that the terrain is not loading properly... Something is preventing the terrain modules for loading correctly. I see navaids and airports but no terrain for several minutes. I get the blue background and no terrain... I can still start a previously constructed mission... which I copied to this installation from my old computer.

• 3 weeks later...

OK folks this is getting complicated... I think my rig is fine and maybe DCS World and a setting I've made is the problem. I'm looking for someone who has a similar machine to mine and has DCS World working and loading properly. I think it must be some setting that isn't correct, rather than a hardware/driver issue. I believe all my drivers are up to date.

My Rig has the following equipment:

Motherboard: ASUS Prime X299-Deluxe

Bios version: American Megatrends Inc. Version 0802 Sep 6 2017

Chipset: Intel Skylake-X

CPU: i7-7820X CPU @ 3.6GHz

Clocks Core Speed: 1197 MHz (8 cores / 16 Threads)

Multiplier: x 12

Bus Speed: 99.78

Memory: DDR4 Dual 32 GBytes

Dram Frequency: 1197 MHz

Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 by EVGA Corp.

Clocks Core;1708 MHz Memory - 8192 MBytes

What's happening on my computer with DCS World:

The basic DCS World program starts normally most of the time, occasionally I get a "not responsive" notice in the upper left but the program still loads.

I'm able to load all the modules I've purchased, including terrain, Aircraft, and Campaigns. I have them all.

I have missions that I created on my old rig (my old rig worked fine and still does). I had a problem with my old motherboard (all my USB 3 ports quit working) so I decided to take the opportunity to upgrade.

I transferred the folder, from my old computer, which contained my saved missions to the same folder on my new computer.

What's actually happening:

From the Main DCS World Menu, I select Mission Editor. When it loads all I see for the first 30 seconds are symbols... for Airports, Navaids and such. Then it slowly starts to load the Nevada Terrain Module. If left to itself it would take over 10 minutes, sometimes longer, to load all the layers of terrain. By comparison, my old computer loads everything in about 3 seconds. If during the load process I click on the top bar of the window containing DCS World and move it abruptly the terrain loads faster... Go Figure??

Next I select a saved mission to load and it immediately loads all the stuff I added to the map to make the mission unique... and then the terrain begins to load again with the same slow process... only slightly faster. By comparison, my old computer does all this within 1 or 2 seconds.

When I try to play to mission, the saved mission... It works, but is jittery. Every 3-4 seconds there is a regular very brief pause or stutter.

I've run stress test programs to see how my computer does. I get over 100 fps. I downloaded a First Person Shooter game (Titanfall 2) to see how that works. It worked smooth with no loading or play issues.

Does anyone have a similar system that works better than this? I'm hoping someone can tell me what's wrong or at least give me hope. Thanks in advance.

Bonz...

Edited by Bonz

Hi Bonz, your CPU Multiplier is 12, sure? You got this from your BIOS? If yes, set to Auto.

Best is to load default setting, than select your M.2 as boot drive, if it is NVME, activate the NVME Protokoll in the BIOS

How is Windows? And other application , same issue ?

Did you assemble your computer by yourself ? If yes, please check the CPU Cooler has good contact, maybe you can use some Programm to check CPU temperature.under load

Hope it helps to find the issue

Chipset: Intel Skylake-X

CPU: i7-7820X CPU @ 3.6GHz

Clocks Core Speed: 1197 MHz (8 cores / 16 Threads)

Multiplier: x 12

Bus Speed: 99.78

Memory: DDR4 Dual 32 GBytes

Dram Frequency: 1197 MHz

Bonz,

no offense, pure tech talk...but you do not seem to understand some technical terms and how they correlate with each other.

Your multiplier can only be "12" when your OS is set to another Power Mode but "High Performance", those usually are "Balanced(recommended by OS)" or "Energy Saver".

Your multiplier's default value is "36" in conjunction with a FrontSideBus of 100MHz, resulting in 36x100MHz = 3600MHz Base Clock. Your 12x100MHz was a powersaver mode with 1.2G. It should go as low as 800MHz iirc, mine does this.

Make sure, tho it actually shouldnt cause your problem with 7thgen+ dies, that you run HIGH PERFORMANCE mode when you game. Ups & downs with the clock caused jitter/stutter with earlier generations of Core-i dies. This actually got solved with 7thgen and later, mine really doesnt care which mode, it's ramp-up speed is so fast I cant tell the difference on this CPU.

Your RAM is 2400MHz, not 1197MHz, that is the base clock that you see and refer to, you defo have 2400er DDR4's.

Have you made sure you are running the latest NVMe driver for your NVMe-SSD ?

Having such a new and immature Chipset with little knowledge how to troubleshoot computing problems doesnt make this any easier. You would have been better off with a 7700k/Z270 mature platform for half the money, unless you need those extra cores for work/hobby and know what you are doing / sacrificing them for, 5G and no or only little trouble.

My advice as a guy who used to earn his living fixing stuff like this, PATCH your system everywhere for the next few months to get it to a stable state, X299 is far from that from what I know. Update to the new 10 that came out on the 17th, I run it and it's great, update drivers and hope for the best.

I would still consider my older post and do it all again, no kiddin' !

Not sure I understand all that has been said... But I'm looking at CPU-Z and this is what I'm seeing under the CPU Tab:

Processor:

Name: Intel Core i7 7820x, Code Name: Skylake-X, Max TDP: 140.0W, Package: Socket 2066 LGA, Technology 14nm Core VID: .73 V (Varies a bit), Specification Intel Core i7-7820x CPU @ 3.60 GHz, Family 6, Model 5, Stepping 4, Ext Family 6, Ext Model 55, Revision H0

Instructions: MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, EM64T, VT-x, AES, AVX, AVX2, AVX512F, FMA3, TSX

Clock (Core #0):

Core Speed: 1197.0 MHz, Multiplier x 12 (12-43), Bus Speed 99.78 MHz

Cache:

L1 Data 8 x 32 KBytes 8-way, L1 Inst. 8 x 32 KBytes 8-way, Level 2 8x1 MBytes 16-way, Level 3 11 MBytes 11-way.

Selection Socket #1, Cores 8, Threads 16

It sounds like I have my motherboard set for something other than Max Performance. I had my mother board BIOS updated recently... maybe three weeks ago to the BIOS version that came out in mid-September.

Looking at the Memory Tab on CPU-Z:

Type DDR4, Channel # Dual, Size 32 KBytes, NB Frequency 798.0 MHz

Timings:

Dram Frequency 1197 MHz, FSB:DRAM 1:18, CAS# Latency (CL) 17.0 clocks, RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD) 17 clocks, RAS# Precharge (tRP) 17 clocks, Cycle Time (tRAS) 39 clocks, Row Refresh Cycle Time (tREC) 421 clocks, Command Rate (CR) 1T

As for my NVMe driver... I did check to see if I had the latest driver... Yes.

I did not assemble the machine myself, but I did select the parts ... attempting to get as far down the "latest and Greatest" path as I could... which is to say as far as my money would allow. Same approach I've used with good success for years.

I will check my Windows 10 version... I'm sure I'm set to Auto update.

I routinely check driver updates... using device manager. Is there a better way?

My motherboard reports temps ... they all seem reasonable. The rig runs silent fast... other than for DCS World.

Thanks for the help.

Bonz.

OK... My clock Core speed is now up around 4000 MHz with a multiplier around 42. My Memory NB Frequency is 2300MHz. I set my power option to High Performance. However, my problems with DCS World are only slightly better , still not as fast as they were on my old computer. What other settings should I try?

I'm continuing to update drivers via the Device Manager. If there is a better way, I'd like to hear it.

I'm surprised that selecting High Performance didn't produce the "fix" I was hoping for. It sounded like selecting HP would fix the issue, but it didn't. What else could be causing my load and performance issues with DCS World? Any other ideas?

Bonz...

Edited by Bonz