Learning new a/c

Lace

Prompted by this thread: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=239978

What is your process for selecting and learning new modules? Do you just buy them all and dip in and out as you feel like it, or do you dedicate many hours to selecting the right a/c for your mission profile, pour through youtube tutorials and walk-throughs, and run through the supplied training missions after digesting the many-hundred page manuals and declassified material available?

There just aren't enough hours in the day to become completely proficient on them all shirley? Isn't it true that most modern air forces only allow currency on one a/c type at a time?

FWIW, I'm happy on the Mirage now after about 30 sim hours, going to give the Viggen a go next as I feel it is a nice contrast.

Laptop Pilot. Alienware X17, i9 11980HK 5.0GHz, 16GB RTX 3080, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVMe SSD. 2x TM Warthog, Hornet grip, Virpil CM2 & TPR pedals, FSSB-R3, Cougar throttle, Viper pit WIP (XBox360 when traveling). Rift S.

NTTR, SoH, Syria, Sinai, Channel, South Atlantic, CA, Supercarrier, FC3, A-10CII, F-5, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Harrier, M2000, F1, Viggen, MiG-21, Yak-52, L-39, MB-339, CE2, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mi-8, Mi-24, Huey, Apache, Spitfire, Mossie.  Wishlist: Tornado, Jaguar, Buccaneer, F-117 and F-111.

How I decide what to buy? Well, I already own all modules I'm interested in and whenever a new module gets released I decide wheter I should buy it depending on my interest in the aircraft and the quality of the module.

How I learn new a/c? First I read the manual After that, I get into the cockpit with the aircraft sitting cold and dark on the ramp. I take a look at every switch, knob, instrument and make sure I understand it's purpose (with the help of the manual). Then I go ahead and go through the startup checklist to start it up and when I'm airborne I go through all the systems and weapon procedures (again with the help of the manual). At the end I go through the landing checklist to land and then through the shutoff checklist to shut down the aircraft. Depending on the complexity of the a/c (and fuel endurance as well as the number of different weapons I can take with me on a signle flight) I need to conduct multiple flights to go through all the systems and weapons.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I go one by one, not try to learn multiples modules together.

I start by reading the manual, at least the basics. Then I concentrate on different systems.

- Ramp start, taxi and takeoff

- Landings

- Navigation

- Radar, countermeasures

- Weapons

On each one I try to use the manual, training missions and youtube tuorials. I try not to go to the next thing until I feel comfortable with previous one, It's easier for me to assume every concept isolated from the others and joining them slowly, than try to learn multiple things at once.

In my opinion, the interactive Training Missions are one of the greatest DCS assets.

In conjunction with YT videos and the manuals, they are an indispensable tool in learning any aircraft.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

First thing I do with a new module is map my Hotas in flight, so I get a feeling how the module feels like, sometimes the flight does not last long, if I really like it I will continue flying it,if not I may never touch it again

Marc..

So, you would throw away $80 on the basis of one short flight? Interesting!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Picking modules: Whatever interests me. Which happens to be almost everything, once I take a ride on the hype-train. :D

First thing: Axis mapping in free flight.

Then interactive start-up tutorial, in most modules 2 or 3 times until I feel I can get it done on my own.

Then cold start, take-off, basic flight, landing, just to get a feel.

What comes next depends on the module. In many cases, I watch YouTube videos and try to follow them. With the F/A-18, I try to keep up with new systems as they get integrated.

Basically, I try to get proficient in the complicated stuff like carrier landings and AAR first (still struggling with traps, my muscle memory just won't cope with the Hornet and Tomcat handling on carrier approaches yet) so that I'm not a complete embarrassment if I fly them online.

For the time being, the A-10C is still my aircraft of choice, trying to stay proficient in it, and I fly Tomcat and Hornet for fun. All the other modules tend to collect virtual dust, because as you said, there just aren't enough hours in the day to fly them all. ;)

But I never regretted getting all the other birds, they're all fun to fly and I can always take a ride if I feel like it or if an opportunity comes up to fly them with buddies. Plus, the helos are insanely fun to fly, particularly the Huey has such a brilliant flight model... damn, now I wanna hitch a ride, and I'm still stuck at work for a couple hours... :D

So, you would throw away $80 on the basis of one short flight? Interesting!

Maybe if I paid that much it would be different but always buy them on sale

Marc..

If only it was $80. My F86, MiG21, FC3, CA, Spitfire and Harrier have barely been touched. Even at sale prices that's a fair chunk of money. It's not because of any dislike for the modules or aircraft (I wouldn't have bought them in the first place if that was the case), just because time is a finite resource and other than quick VFR bimbles I haven't had time to 'learn' them, at least enough to operate them effectively on the simulated battlefield. Maybe one day, but ED et al are adding modules faster than I can learn.

The Yak I didn't need to learn, and the helicopters are more for fun than serious warfighting.

Laptop Pilot. Alienware X17, i9 11980HK 5.0GHz, 16GB RTX 3080, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVMe SSD. 2x TM Warthog, Hornet grip, Virpil CM2 & TPR pedals, FSSB-R3, Cougar throttle, Viper pit WIP (XBox360 when traveling). Rift S.

NTTR, SoH, Syria, Sinai, Channel, South Atlantic, CA, Supercarrier, FC3, A-10CII, F-5, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Harrier, M2000, F1, Viggen, MiG-21, Yak-52, L-39, MB-339, CE2, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mi-8, Mi-24, Huey, Apache, Spitfire, Mossie.  Wishlist: Tornado, Jaguar, Buccaneer, F-117 and F-111.

... CA...

That's kind of a special case IMO.

I picked it up in a sale cause it sounded kinda interesting.

It wasn't until a JTAC training that I realized just how amazing CA actually is. In the MP environment, this can be sooo cool!

Plus, a buddy is working on a mission generator environment where the players have to carry out fights using CA, which also makes very good use of it (look for Digital Conflict Zones if you're interested).

A casual hop into a Humvee or Striker or so may not look like much, but in the proper environment CA is really, really awesome. :thumbup:

You picked 2 of the hardest to start with, at least for me. I don't know the languages or ergonomic design philosophy.

Starting with the A-10 when it first came out, there were not a lot other aircraft to distract me. I learned it in depth, and that has translated over to other US designs. So much is the same it gives you a leg up. Complex systems still require cracking the books though.

I would say the same about Russian birds. If you go MiG-15, MiG-19, MiG-21, the similarities in the basic systems and layout is there.

I've found once you learn an aircraft well, and have a good grasp of its systems, a short refresher is usually all that's needed to get back into it after being away for a while. This is especially true if you're jumping to something that's similar in design. The more difficult part for me is muscle memory when switching.

It's a lot harder when jumping to dissimilar designs. I flew the Viggen for several weeks when it first launched, but I'm afraid I'd be lost in it today. I'm not sure a quick refresher would be enough. I might have to start back a square one.

You picked 2 of the hardest to start with, at least for me. I don't know the languages or ergonomic design philosophy.

Starting with the A-10 when it first came out, there were not a lot other aircraft to distract me. I learned it in depth, and that has translated over to other US designs. So much is the same it gives you a leg up. Complex systems still require cracking the books though.

Sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear in my OP, to which two are you referring? The Mirage and the Viggen, or the first two in my list of hanger queens? I actually found the Mirage quite a simple module to crack, and it helped me brush up a little on my French language skills (or lack thereof).

Incidentally, I did actually start with the A10C as like you said for a long time it was the only full-fidelity option, so I'm fairly comfortable in that a/c even though I haven't flown it for a while.

Yeah, I was talking about the M2KC, and the Viggen. Like you said, if you don't know the language the pit is in, you have to brush up on that along with everything else.

The M2KC wasn't too hard. I found the Viggen more challenging.

If only it was $80. My F86, MiG21, FC3, CA, Spitfire and Harrier have barely been touched. Even at sale prices that's a fair chunk of money. It's not because of any dislike for the modules or aircraft (I wouldn't have bought them in the first place if that was the case), just because time is a finite resource and other than quick VFR bimbles I haven't had time to 'learn' them, at least enough to operate them effectively on the simulated battlefield. Maybe one day, but ED et al are adding modules faster than I can learn.

Hear, hear!

So many modules, so little time...

www.mikphotography.com

I pretty much do the following:

1. jump in and autostart, take the bird for a spin then land

2. learn how to start the jet (usually following a youtube tutorial and/or printed stuff). Doing it over and over until i know it. Oh and i don't fly anything else in the meantime.

3. learn to employ A2G weapons first starting with dumb bombs, then rockets, etc then moving to A2A

4. learning the radar

then trying to put them all together and flying on training servers until I'm confident, then over to the TTI servers

AMD AM4 Ryzen7 3700X 3.6ghz/MSI AM4 ATX MAG X570 Tomahawk DDR4/32GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600mhz/1TB 970 Evo SSD/ASUS RTX2070 8gb Super

Manual, Chuck’s guide, cold start to familiarize with the cockpit then tutorials. I often watch YouTube videos as tutorials as well. At current though the FC3 modules, Harrier and Mirage are all gathering dust as it is all about the Hornet and the Tomcat currently. Given the number of systems the Hornet introduces the drip feed of early access is actually suiting me.

First thing I do with a new module is map my Hotas in flight, so I get a feeling how the module feels like, sometimes the flight does not last long, if I really like it I will continue flying it,if not I may never touch it again

Marc..

Haha that's pretty much it. Gotta map the hotas carefully, it's really hard to change the mapping once you get used to it.

I usually start off in free flight to get that situated. Then I do a lot of takeoff/landing practice. Then get distracted by the next module. I pretty much buy em all. So little time... so many "whoa how cool is that" moments

That said the fifteen bucks I spent on the F15 is by a wide margin the best $ I spent on here. Keep coming back to that.

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder