TAC 25: Wingmen not responding due to Line of Sight issues

Eviscerador

Hello,

I'm finally trying to finish the campaign and I'm finding trouble with the last mission.

I destroy the Target 1 no problem, but when I try to destroy the second target (convoy) I find that the convoy is moving along a road which is totally surrounded by trees, making it really difficult to spot, and once you spot it, your wingmen cannot attack it, because they lose sight of the objectives.

Even if you make them break the road (usually after killing one or two vehicles) both wingmen just refuse to acknowledge any attack order on the convoy.

The problem is that if I use all my ordenance to kill the convoy, then I don't have enough to reply to the other threats, while my wingmen usually die in the first attack run so I can't complete the mission.

Oh, and the bandit spawn makes them going defensive and I think they drop ordenance, because ANY attack order I give them to use bombs is either bugged or they don't comply.

I will keep trying to do the mission, maybe one day the wingmen will acknowledge the orders, don't die, and I can complete the mission, but I'm under the impression that my skill and knowledge is irrelevant, since I just need to use wingmen to destroy all targets, and they usually DERP a lot.

This is a main feeling in this campaign. Both the basic and the Advanced ones were based on your skills. The tactical campaign is based on JTAC and AI behaviour, which is very inconsistent, and it is very frustrating.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well, I managed to finally finish the mission and the campaign.

Since my wingmen were uncooperative and just didn't acknowledge any directed attack order, (they did in other missions, maybe has something to do with the LoS as I said in my previous post) I proceeded to anchor them at the IP, destroy Target 1 and Target 2 as fragged expending most of my ordenance (except 210 cannon rounds and 2 mavs)

Then I managed the CAS with the support flights and the gunship and finally when all the support flights were killing stuff left and right, I ordered my wingmen to attack weapons free (since any other order was just a "join up" "RTB" cycle)

To my surprise their priority order was nice and I managed to pass the mission with Q qualification. Loved the "final surprise" by the way.

All in all, it was a SUPERB campaign as all the others, good job with the documentation, the voice lines, the triggers and the whole immersion.

It is a bit frustrating sometimes when the JTAC or the AI don't work as planned, but that is mostly due to the inconsistency with JTAC in DCS world.

Edited by Eviscerador

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Congrats!

This last mission can be very trying but you made a good decision in anchoring your wingmen and then unleashing them later.

Another alternative strategy that we have seen work is to have the wingmen target the air defense assets first (AI has an uncanny ability to spot them usually). However you do need to be aware of the in-air threats so best to keep them back until the CAP flight takes care of it.

Also you can take out the Air Defense assets yourself clearing the way for your AI wingmen. Or if you are bold enough go after the in-air threats too!

In testing we didn't notice the AI's inability to locate targets but we only sent them targets when they were flying formation with us and ensured we saw their diamond reference on our TAD to know they had the target area locked.

Well done on completing the final mission and earning your CMR badge!

F-15C-User-Bar-ACM.v2.jpg

MapleFlagMissions - Read Our Blog for Updates

Thanks! I know I've been bitching with the inconsistency of the JTAC and the AI but don't get me wrong, the campaign is superb, I enjoyed every mission.

Looking forward to your training campaign for the Hornet. Because there will be right? «Wink, wink, nudge nudge»

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 9 months later...

How do you get the AC-130 to attack in TAC25 properly?

Also can you use the supporting flight to hit a specific targets ? Or they will attack what they want ?

General Nerd :pirate:

Intel I5 4ghz, 16Gb Ram, GTX1070, Saitek X55 HOTAS