Dedicated server hardware

Whats the best *cheap / used* hardware path for setting up a dedicated server currently?

Running complex multiplayer missions (lots of units / AI, scripts) over LAN kills FPS on my gaming PC when its also used as the server.

If I go on craigslist and grab a cheap used server some business would otherwise throwaway (for example, Xeon 2.50GHz (x2) 48GB RAM) for $50 (maybe throw server 2016 on it?) will that perform admirably with the dedicated server executable and --norender?

Or would any "affordable" old server CPU be a huge bottleneck, just like running an standard DCS server/client where the extra cores and ram dont matter at all? In that case maybe I'd be better off waiting until my gaming PC gets an upgrade so I can use the current i7 @ 5.0 Ghz and 16 GB of ram as the dedicated server.

I want to ensure my client PC's connecting experience butter smooth performance so the only thing holding them back would be their own hardware.

Edited by Vullcan

I am using a SAMs club Dell with an i5-4440 and 16gb of ram and have zero issues running dedicated server. Normal RAM usage is about 5 GB and 13-15% processor.

Running all four maps with literally hundreds of statics and numerous scripts.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

Nice Sierra! I too would love to hear more feedback on this topic. I started my little project just to kills some free time but I am now going to be in this for the LONG run. At the moment I am renting a server so that I may have dedicated hardware strictly for dedicated server use.

My current server that im renting is an i7 6700K with 32GB ram. And im almost certain that this may be a bit of overkill. only using the server for the DCS Dedicated server tool. I figured if I rented a server for 6 months - hell that cost is more then enough for a decent box of my own here at home.

So what are you other admins running on your server? Just wanted to get some ideas on a server setup.

Edited by ElementLT
Coming Soon...
The Fraternity Returns : https://thefraternitysim.com/

Nice Sierra! I too would love to hear more feedback on this topic. I started my little project just to kills some free time but I am now going to be in this for the LONG run. At the moment I am renting a server so that I may have dedicated hardware strictly for dedicated server use.

My current server that im renting is an i7 6700K with 32GB ram. And im almost certain that this may be a bit of overkill. only using the server for the DCS Dedicated server tool. I figured if I rented a server for 6 months - hell that cost is more then enough for a decent box of my own here at home.

So what are you other admins running on your server? Just wanted to get some ideas on a server setup.

It's really depending on what you want to do with that, if you want run multiple server ( some other games ) I suggest some virtualization like XenServer, Proxmox or any other VM software that your provider can offer ( for free ) to you.

If you're going to host only DCS ( also multiple instances ), you can just pickup simple Server System, and you'll be fine ;)

FlighRIG => CPU: RyZen 5900x | RAM: 64GB Corsair 3000Mhz | GPU: nVIDIA RTX 4090 FE | OS Storage: SSD NVMe Samsung 850 Pro 512GB, DCS Storage: SSD NVMe Sabrent 1TB | Device: Multipurpose-UFC, VirPil T-50, TM WARTHOG Throttle, TrackHat, MFD Cougar with screen.

Our Servers => [ITA] Banshee | Krasnodar - PvE | PersianConquest PvE Live Map&Stats | Syria Liberation PvE Conquest

Support us on twitch subscribing with amazon prime account linked, it's free!

Currently setting up an old Dell T5600. If I didn't already have it lying around I'd say it's a colossal waste of time. The thing is a beast running Linux but Windows is a PIA. Finding drivers that still work is really hard, but if you can get it to boot up off an SSD, you can connect to the dell website, update the bios and download a driver package and odds are you can get the rest of the thing working.

If you go that route, you're better off with a single CPU, get the highest single core speed you can get even if it only has 4 cores (which is plenty). Get as much RAM as it'll hold. Worth getting a cheap video card, makes setup easier.

Might be worth it I guess if you can get a giant pile o' ram for cheap but dang, it's so easy to get on ebay and hack together a normal PC, I dunno man.

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

Some thoughts.

The dedicated server really doesn't seem to use that much in the way of resources. I've not yet seen it use more than 5GB of RAM and with 400+ units have been using no more than 60% of a single core (that was running @4.6Ghz).

If you want to run it 24*7, then a fairly low spec (i.e. doesn't really need more than 2 actual cores) and 16GB of RAM should walk all over it.

I'm currently running it as a "background task" on the same PC that I'm playing on. The dedicated server seems to have affinity for a single core, whilst the "game" is bouncing around between to cores, seemingly spreading the load. Typically I'm using under 32GB when running both the game AND the server on my current PC (specs in my sig), though I have once seen a total of 38GB of RAM in use.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

I'm debating doing this actually. I've got my older I4720hq laptop doing not much, so I thought about setting up with a dedicated server. The only real worry I have is if its too slow processor wise (otherwise 32gb ram, SSD etc).

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

our vps is running on 3 cores at 2.5GHz, 6GB of RAM and so far so good. SSD drives make a difference I think but with rendering off it doesn't seem to take much CPU-wise

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder