F-18 A/A stores speed test (with F-16 too)

pchRage

Should be obvious

If it's even, why are you running. Why are you hiding in the hills.

Well tactics my friend.

Why take it out into the open where it's a even fight, when I can take it into the hills and have the advantage? As for running, sometimes you'll get caught out of position, however if I can bait you to follow while I run where I still am safe but then put you into a situation where I can turn the tables and have the advantage then running is valuable tactic, F-14s and F-16s run from Hornets all the time, because sometimes pressing the fight is not to your advantage.

Done a whole bunch of head on jousts with a viper against the hornet and with a hornet against the viper it's a pretty even fight, and I've won and died with both. Lot's of the time it's a combination of luck, terrain, and hair splitting timing that makes the difference, and lots of the time we will both either get nothing, or both of us will frag the other. If the hornet is head on at me at angels 30-40 at mach 0.9 or above and I'm at angels 15-20 you bet I'm turning cold in the viper and hiding in some hills, same as if the positions where reversed. With Growling sidewinder server you'll often have a few F-14s with 6 aim-54A mk60s, so staying high at angels 30-40 is not wise for anyone on the opposite team, as that is the space where the Tomcat loves to work with. however if it's just F-16s and hornets in the area though, you'll find people at all alts and the fight pretty even, possible very slightly in the hornets side favor

Edited by CrazyGman

If the hornet is head on at me at angels 30-40

That's a F14, 9 out of 10, and a Red, otherwise it is a BVR pot shot, or an easy dead idiot, and you go cold, with an 120C inferior to Red missiles now. This used to be even. You saw F18 show up in SATAL for a while and then disappear, because a toy F15 and Ruski missiles are superior in ACM .

Edited by majapahit

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

Mover also said this though

"Where the Hornet shines is in the radar itself. The Navy did what the Air Force should have done by realizing that the F-35 was years away and investing in upgraded Hornets (E/F) with AESA radars. Even some of the Marine early A models were upgraded to the A++ variant with the new APG-73 radar and upgraded avionics. The F-16’s APG-68 is not a terrible radar by any means, but it is technology that desperately needs upgrading"

He said if the viper had an AESA radar it would beat the hornet. It doesn't though

Well that is a different game, compare to kinematics of the airframes the OP is discussing right?

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk

That's a F14, 9 out of 10, and a Red, otherwise it is a BVR pot shot, or an easy dead idiot, and you go cold, with an 120C inferior to Red missiles now. This used to be even. You saw F18 show up in SATAL for a while and then disappear, because a toy F15 and Ruski missiles are superior in ACM .
Now you lost me, the 120c is inferior to what?

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk

oh boy....

the radar on the hornet AND the viper is wip.

the drag is wip

the flight envelope is wip

the GAME is wip

we are lucky to have them. there is no competion and untill there is the pace of development and priority will be mostly the same as for the last 10 years.

so yes there are things that one aircraft does better then the other.....thats how the US warmachine works.

so thanks fof the drag test......anything from that onwards is comparing apples and oranges.

and this thing.....balnced and equal....war isnt..... simulation of a war isnt..... life isnt......

there is no throphy for attendance....

Edited by SFAL

Inferior to PL-12 (or SD-10 if you will)

Funny thing, we have other threads suggesting the opposite. From my experience, since the very last update to the 120c, they are on par.

The sd10 flies faster in shorter ranges, but the the 120C is actually better at high altitudes and long ranges thanks to the new lofting/autopilot logic. And the CM resistance is higher for the 120C.