How to use the FLIR in conjunction with Mavericks?

LeCuvier

I have not seen this in Wag's mini-updates nor Chuck's guide: How do I use the Maverick with the TGP? In the A-10C I designate the target with the TGP and then slave the Maverick to the TGP. I'm looking for an equivalent process in the F/A-18C. Also: which version of the Maverick would I use for that? Would I use the MAV-E and laser-designate from my TGP?

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

With the Mav 'F' (IR) the basic sequence I use is-

Select A/G

Click twice on top left button on the left MFD to bring up the IR screen

Fly the plane to place the HUD triangle roughly on the target

Look at the IR screen and fly the plane to put the crosshairs on the target and hit 'lock'.

Fire.

Like I said that's just the simplest easiest basic way, there are other ways too with or without pod or slewing etc.

Edited by PoorOldSpike

I have not seen this in Wag's mini-updates nor Chuck's guide: How do I use the Maverick with the TGP? In the A-10C I designate the target with the TGP and then slave the Maverick to the TGP. I'm looking for an equivalent process in the F/A-18C. Also: which version of the Maverick would I use for that? Would I use the MAV-E and laser-designate from my TGP?

You decide first if you want to use realistic "depress-and hol - slave - release = lock", or you want to uncheck your "Realistic TDC slew" on your Options / Special / F-18 page, then you can just slave and then depress TDC.

IR MAV: you find your target and designate with FLIR. SCS over to MAV and uncage it, it will slave to the designated target, in some seconds it should lock too, if not give him a TDC depress, or try to nudge it a bit and depress TDC again.

For laser MAV: yes you designate your TGT with FLIR, then uncage MAV.

• 3 weeks later...

I get the FLIR to lock the target. When I SCS to the left DDI and uncage the MAV,the crosshair is really close to the target, maybe within 20 or 30 m, but I cannot get the MAV to lock the target. It is impossible to nudge the crosshair to point to the target. The left DDI displays "Uncaged" and "In Range", but it's impossible to make the MAV lock the target so I can fire it. I tried with and without the "Realistic" option. What am I missing?

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

as I said, I tried both with and without "realistic", and I had FOV set to narrow.

LeCuvier

I just asked this yesterday: F/A-18C - TPOD - AGM-65F.

The short answer is that it's broken badly. Sometimes it works like a charm, and sometimes it wanders off in to the woods and starts picking mushrooms, never to be seen again.

Following what I wrote in my thread in post#6 I've gotten off 3 good missiles in a mission, and then today, following the exact same method, I couldn't get a single missile off, an I have no idea why.

One major issue is that the TGP loses it's targeting carrot. It also doesn't work the same as in the Harrier. Two major differences are, in the Harrier when you undesignate a target, the TPOD returns to bore-sight and the target carrot is erased from HUD and Map.

In the Hornet undesignating a target removes the target from HUD and Map, but the TGP stays facing the same direction, which allow you to slew to a new, nearby target. Only Cage/Uncage returns the camera to bore-sight.

I've had major issues with this, in that it seems after returning to bore-sight the logical carrot (whose position is defined by some internal values) becomes unsynchronized with the real carrot to the point the real carron disappears from the HUD and Map never to return. Even after pressing Undesignate and Cage/Uncage, and then aiming the VV (Velocity Vector) at a ground target and pressing TDC-Depress, the carrot no longer appears on the HUD, and if I then slave to an IRMV, the IRMV is looking somewhere else completely, and it is not possible to manually adjust the IRMV as long as the TGP is turne on. You have to shut it completely down to then us the IRMV's IR-Seeker to acquire a target.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

...and there's still nothing in the Early Access Guide on the subject. This is too frustrating for my father's son. I will un-mothball the good old Warthog for A/G action.

LeCuvier

• 1 month later...

Could someone please help?

With the FLIR swithed on, I do not get a FLIR option on the DDI, of my F18C!

I've looked and researched, but no go.

I am running the latest version of DCS. I'm very new to this and I'm just starting to get adventurous.

BTW I have GBU 16 sleected.

I Hope someone can assist.

Thanks in advance.

Could someone please help?

With the FLIR swithed on, I do not get a FLIR option on the DDI, of my F18C!

I've looked and researched, but no go.

I am running the latest version of DCS. I'm very new to this and I'm just starting to get adventurous.

BTW I have GBU 16 sleected.

I Hope someone can assist.

Thanks in advance.

If you don't see the FLIR page on DDI, you either do not have the TPOD equipped or the FLIR switch is in OFF position.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Pining for the good ole days..

I wish I had my ole TGP back... slew, lock, rifle.. enemy toast

sigh :(

:: 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900K :: Asus ROG Strix Z790-A mobo :: Asus Tuff Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 Ti :: NZXT Kraken Elite 280 RGB AIO white cooler :: G Skill Trident Z Royals DDR4 4x16GB = 64GB :: WD Black SN 850X NVMe SSD 2TB M.2 (C Drive) :: Samsung 860 Pro 2TB SATA (D Drive) :: Corsair Crystal 680X White Case :: Asus XG349C 34" Curve G-Sync 180Hz 3440x1440 Mon :: Corsair 850W PSU :: Virpil Constellation Alpha-R Stick with VPC WarBRD Base :: Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle :: 3 x CubeSim ext mini screens with TM Cougar MFD Bezels :: Asus ROG Pugio 503 Gaming Mouse & Razer BlackWidow mech kb :: TrackIR 5 Pro & Cap Clip :: Win 11 64 Bit 😉

I think something is not quite right here..

as I said, I tried both with and without "realistic", and I had FOV set to narrow.

I just spent a couple of hours in a few different scenarios I knocked up with MAV F. Left DDI MAV F Uncaged ok. Then I lock up my moving Target with Flir , that's all good then I then hit TDC depress & I see the MAV cross hair go to the Target but NOT directly onto the Target as you say. So the only way to move my MAV cross hair to collapse over that Target as one normally would is to hit UNDESIGNATE button to allow you to slew.. but then this action instantly loses the image on my FLIR no matter if Diamond is in corner of the FLIR screen or not. This is where the system is failing I think. I don't know, maybe I'm doing it wrong but I tired many different ways & followed WAGS vids to the letter & still I can't it get the FLIR image to stay on my Enemy column after I track one & then go through what I explained. Kinda user unfriendly atm this one I think

:noexpression:

P.S I must say tho the FLIR with JSOW in TOO mode is incredible, the coordinates change in millisecs as you slew, only button you need to press is Fire! It's awesome :)

Edited by GazAce
Extra comment

:: 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900K :: Asus ROG Strix Z790-A mobo :: Asus Tuff Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 Ti :: NZXT Kraken Elite 280 RGB AIO white cooler :: G Skill Trident Z Royals DDR4 4x16GB = 64GB :: WD Black SN 850X NVMe SSD 2TB M.2 (C Drive) :: Samsung 860 Pro 2TB SATA (D Drive) :: Corsair Crystal 680X White Case :: Asus XG349C 34" Curve G-Sync 180Hz 3440x1440 Mon :: Corsair 850W PSU :: Virpil Constellation Alpha-R Stick with VPC WarBRD Base :: Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle :: 3 x CubeSim ext mini screens with TM Cougar MFD Bezels :: Asus ROG Pugio 503 Gaming Mouse & Razer BlackWidow mech kb :: TrackIR 5 Pro & Cap Clip :: Win 11 64 Bit 😉

i love the JSOW in TOO also. my squadron has a mission i play SP in to practice. i load up with 8 154Cs and shack all 8 targets. then i go back to base and reload with MAVFs. all i do is get the target designated with the TPOD, switch to SOI the MAV page and rifle when the X is off the MAV in the HUD. it always hits. at this point the targets are scurrying around like roaches after turning on the light. so the MAV is needed as the JSOW does not have the IR terminal guidance.

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

I love using the Tpod with Mav F's....

8g6mkNqPcpM

That's all well & good but I want to nail 4 Units out of a column of 8 travelling East at 11 kns.. in one pass.. like I used to :noexpression:

It does take a good grip of TGP and HOTAS, I am consistently getting multiple targets engaged and destroyed when attacking moving column.

Once you get a target in point track, and MAVF is uncaged, TDC Depress on FLIR will put a little cross on that target and MAVF will slew and lock onto it. Rifle.

Then, slew TGP to another target, repeat and rifle.

With my test setup (speed, altitude, target aspect, terrain) I get 2-3 kills in a single pass.

I guess with better tactics and quicker HOTAS skills I would get all four in a single pass.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

EUREKA!!!

It does take a good grip of TGP and HOTAS, I am consistently getting multiple targets engaged and destroyed when attacking moving column.

Once you get a target in point track, and MAVF is uncaged, TDC Depress on FLIR will put a little cross on that target and MAVF will slew and lock onto it. Rifle.

Then, slew TGP to another target, repeat and rifle.

With my test setup (speed, altitude, target aspect, terrain) I get 2-3 kills in a single pass.

I guess with better tactics and quicker HOTAS skills I would get all four in a single pass.

Hey it worked man! You have to press TDC Depress TWICE! to get the MAV cross hairs lock directly over the TGT , after TDC depress locking on the first time it kinda gets close but then when I hit TDC depress AGAIN the MAV seeker locks the moving Target. I managed nailing two MBT T-55s in one pass but I can see with practice you could get more.

Thanks Gieras brother :thumbup:

...Once you get a target in point track, and MAVF is uncaged, TDC Depress on FLIR will put a little cross on that target and MAVF will slew and lock onto it. Rifle.

Does that mean:

1. With SOI on FLIR get the target in point track

2. SOI to MAVF and uncage the MAVF

3. SOI to FLIR and push TDC Depress

4. Push Weapon Release without changing SOI

?

LeCuvier

I just

1) SCS to FLIR

2) put cross hair over target

3) press TDC (only required first time to get designate diamond instead of cross)

4) SCS to MAV and it automatically slews to target

5) press weapon release.

BOOM!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I just

1) SCS to FLIR

2) put cross hair over target

3) press TDC (only required first time to get designate diamond instead of cross)

4) SCS to MAV and it automatically slews to target

5) press weapon release.

BOOM!

Sounds like your talking about stationary Target there correct?