Loading DCS with different settings for VR and 2D

Is there anyway for me to determine whether I'm loading DCS in VR or normal? I can run DCS with all the graphics way up high in normal mode but I want to tone down some stuff in VR.

So can I have two "graphics settings" config files and perhaps loaded with a shortcut - with each shortcut determining whether to load VR or normal.

Something like

VR Shortcut

"C:\Games\DCS World OpenBeta\bin\DCS_updater.exe" -VR -VRGraphics.ini

Normal shortcut

"C:\Games\DCS World OpenBeta\bin\DCS_updater.exe" -2DGraphics.ini

I know - why would I go back to 2D when VR is working? Well my VR setup isn't easy to get together and sometimes I just want to fire up DCS - but I don't really want to reset all the settings.

Also - currently I'm going through setting up the controls on DCS so I keep keyboard usage to a minimum...and I like to do this without VR because f having to lift the headset all the time.

If anyone has any HOTAS setup where keyboard usage is to a minimum (for example radio requires keyboard), then I'd appreciate some pointers.

Thank you

I guess - is it possible to have two installs on the same drive? Would they have different settings files? I'd put up with the additional 160GB in order to have a VR version and a 2D version.

Thanks

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

or simply have a batch file like this,

it is my shortcut for OB on screen, i have another shortcut for VR

@echo off

REM Config ECRAN (NOVR)

rem icone = %SystemDrive%\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\FUI\DCS-1.ico
rem c:\Users\Kerv\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Config\

copy /Z "c:\Users\Kerv\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Config\options.lua.novr.bak1" "c:\Users\Kerv\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Config\options.lua.novr.bak2"
copy /Z "c:\Users\Kerv\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Config\options.lua.novr.bak" "c:\Users\Kerv\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Config\options.lua.novr.bak1"
copy /Z "c:\Users\Kerv\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Config\options.lua" "c:\Users\Kerv\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Config\options.lua.novr.bak"
copy /Z "c:\Users\Kerv\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Config\options.lua.novr" "c:\Users\Kerv\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Config\options.lua"

REM "C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\bin\DCS_updater.exe" 
START "" /HIGH "C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\bin\DCS.exe" 

copy /Z "c:\Users\Kerv\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Config\options.lua" "c:\Users\Kerv\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Config\options.lua.novr"

System specs: Win10 x64 | i7-9700KF / i9-12900KF | 48/64 GB | GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB / RTX 3090TI 24GB | *NvME PRO 2To | HOTAS Warthog/Virpil | MFG Crosswind Pedals | Button Box

Latest versions have the option to save 3 different profiles. That you need to switch between VR and non VR happens in other games also.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Latest versions have the option to save 3 different profiles. That you need to switch between VR and non VR happens in other games also.

It would be great to have an optional DCS launcher that allows to select one of those 3 presets right at the start, so there would be no need to restart.

• 1 year later...
On 6/22/2020 at 6:43 AM, Lange_666 said:

I'm 2 years late, but could you share a bit more on this? I'm also looking to run VR and non-VR at different times.

DCS has (for the moment) 3 setups available under the settings tab which means your game setup can have 3 different setups for you to choose from, like for example, one for offline play, one for online play (which is in general a bit more demanding so you could turn down a few graphical options to gain the same performance as in offline mode) and perhaps one setup for VR (i have them set up this way).
Biggest drawback on these setups is that if one setup has VSync set to on and another doesn't and you switch between the setups, DCS has to restart for the change to make, this is because DCS will the latest one used.
To bypass this problem, you can use SkateZilla's Updater/Launcher

which can launch the setup you prefer through the use of profiles (your setups) that are loaded by selection before the game launches.

And that's just one of the many things SkateZilla's Launcher can do for you...

Edited by Lange_666
  • Thanks 1