What's Wrong with My New Rig?

Bonz

Make sure your SSD not only has the newest driver but also the newest FIRMWARE flashed onto it.

Go to the manufacturer's website of your SSD and check there.

I dont use Device Manager to update my stuff. I do them all by hand aka visit the website from manufacturer or chipmaker and download and install the newest driver(s) and firmware(s).

Things that I have seen with new Computers build by people I dont know are :

- missing drivers

- wrong drivers

- wrongly installed drivers

Have you installed Win10 yourself or did somebody else do it for you ?

If you didnt do it yourself you might wanna try doing exactly that, followed by a fresh install of all your drivers.

The order to install does matter as you need to get the Chipset working prior to anything else:

- Install 10

- Install Intel Chipset driver from Intel.com ( take the newest one ! ) <--- THIS ONE FIRST !!!

- Install Intel Management Interface ( called IME or Intel ME )

- Install NVMe driver

- Install USB3 drivers for Intel

- Install USB3.1 drivers for 3rd party USB chip

- Install GPU driver

- Install Sound

- Install any other drivers/software ( TiR, Thrustmaster, Corsair Link, etc...etc... )

I would also highly recommend to get familiar with 10's telemetry settings ( turn them OFF ), PVR settings in Xbox app ( turn off too !! )

Check if there is another, even newer, Bios available for your platform. Prepare to flash the Bios a few more times until the board reaches a stable state. You "bought/badly wanted" the newest stuff, this is how you deal with it until it's stable! :)

Check your Motherboards website as well for NEW drivers for USB, Sound, LAN etc...

New chipsets and motherboards get new drivers every ~2-4 weeks. If you havent installed a new driver in a month you have likely not looked close enough.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm doing a fresh install tomorrow with MS support... They tried loading the new 1709 feature update and it wouldn't take... nor would a reload of windows over my current copy... so we've decided to do the fresh install and start over. Stay tuned.

my fix

There are far better people giving advice than I, but sometimes it's worth trying the simple thing first, in my case I spent day's trying everything I could think of and then I went right back to gpu driver 382.33 and bingo fixed sometimes the latest isn't always the best,if you do use an old driver don't forget to stop win win 10 from automatic updating it.

Win 10,MB GA-X79S-UP5 cpu i7-3820 water cooled,GPU 1080ti ,psu corsair HX1200i,,ram Dominator 32GB trackir 5,VKB Gunfighter stick , throttle ,saitek x65f & CH pedals

I'm doing a fresh install tomorrow with MS support... They tried loading the new 1709 feature update and it wouldn't take... nor would a reload of windows over my current copy... so we've decided to do the fresh install and start over. Stay tuned.

Good move !

Sometimes they just fail, been there too. A fresh try is a good thing !

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Did you try repairing DCS before you started with your PC? Just from what I read I understand you just dragged your DCS instal to a fresh machine. The registry will not know what modules and terrain you have and the saved games file will have to rebuild itself ? Just trying to help :)

Good move !

Sometimes they just fail, been there too. A fresh try is a good thing !

Lars what we discussed. Z370 has 10 bios updates incl some betas :)

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Did you try repairing DCS before you started with your PC? Just from what I read I understand you just dragged your DCS instal to a fresh machine. The registry will not know what modules and terrain you have and the saved games file will have to rebuild itself ? Just trying to help :)

Lars what we discussed. Z370 has 10 bios updates incl some betas :)

+1 to repair

10 Bios updates = good sign

• 2 weeks later...

I reloaded Window 10 Fresh. Then downloaded DCS World 2.0 and installed it fresh. Then I downloaded my Modules. I also updated all my drivers and contacted Microsoft One-Support and had them verify my drivers. I ran the game and DCS World loaded normally... which it was doing before the Windows 10 reload. The basic program was not the issue. I then clicked on Mission Editor and waited for Nevada to load... it was a long wait. No change from prior to the reload. Once the terrain loaded, I started a mission I had created earlier. The mission loaded immediately... same as always. I played the game. It was not smooth... it was jittery and stuttered about every 4-5 seconds. Also my TrackIR was less than smooth as well. I then loaded DCS 1.5 in a different directory. I then downloaded my modules, and selected Mission Editor. The terrain loaded instantly... or at least close to it. I Created a new mission and hit play. Play was the same as in the Nevada map... jittery with stutters every few seconds. My hardware seems good for everything else I do... which includes a game I added to operationally test performance. The added game plays fine. I believe the issue is with DCS World and my hardware. I don't know if its my motherboard, my chip, or something else.

I'm asking if anyone else has a RIG similar to mine? If so, how is it working with DCS World... Any terrain module will do, but if you use Nevada, I'd be interested to know how long it takes from the time Mission Editor is selected until the terrain loads.

Here is my equipment:

ZUES X299 Motherboard with 0802 BIOs.

EVO GeForce 1080 Super-clocked 8GB Video Card

i7-7820 chipset

32gb of RAM in two modules

My C drive is a 1TB M.2 SSD drive mounted on the motherboard

If you're running a similar machine, please tell me what's different about your machine and how fast your RIG loads terrain modules after starting Mission Editor. Also, how smooth does your RIG play the game... how smooth are the graphics?

One last thing... How do I set my BIOS to boost the overclock to MAX?

Thanks in advance for any help provided...

NTTR - Click mission editor in main window

9 seconds later get a blue background with airports on it, 3 seconds later ground texture loads and we are ready to go

Spec

Windows 7 64 bit

8700k @ 4.9Ghz

NZXT Kraken x62 AIO cooler

Z370 Gigabyte Aouris Gaming ultra

32G Corsair 3866Mhz RAM

1080TI Zotac AMP

1TB M.2 samsung polaris

1TB Samsung Evo 850

2TB WB black stoarge

1TB Samsung storage

850W Corsair PSU

Corsair 750D Airflow case

METAR weather for DCS World missions

Guide to help out new DCS MOOSE Users -> HERE

Havoc Company Dedicated server info Connect IP: 94.23.215.203

SRS enabled - freqs - Main = 243, A2A = 244, A2G = 245

Please contact me HERE if you have any server feedback or METAR issues/requests

One last thing... How do I set my BIOS to boost the overclock to MAX?

Thanks in advance for any help provided...

May I suggest a free app that was suggested to myself when I had some issues of a similar nature to yours.

https://www.iobit.com/en/driver-booster.php

It is great for making sure all your drivers are installed and up to date. It contains no bloatware just an occasional prompt to update or go Pro

Also check your preload radius ingame is maxxed out

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I tend to avoid those free "driver updater" programs as most are the equivalent of snake oil and a lot tend to install malware

I tend to avoid those free "driver updater" programs as most are the equivalent of snake oil and a lot tend to install malware

ehhhhh...YES..exactly my finding as well.

The only good tool for SW is ninite.com imho

For drivers I dont know any and I wouldnt want one either, tho I love ninite, so easy to maintain 3rd party common SW up-2-date across many unique machines

Process Lasso, maybe? Fakum recently reported good success for him.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

ehhhhh...YES..exactly my finding as well.

The only good tool for SW is ninite.com imho

For drivers I dont know any and I wouldnt want one either, tho I love ninite, so easy to maintain 3rd party common SW up-2-date across many unique machines

I am with you on freeware in general but really I have had zero issues with anything like that with this tool, for my old i7 920 it was invaluable for hunting out upto date mobo drivers etc.

I would never recommend anything bad :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I am with you on freeware in general but really I have had zero issues with anything like that with this tool, for my old i7 920 it was invaluable for hunting out upto date mobo drivers etc.

I will give it a shot...in a Virtual Machine :book:

Reason why I warn people away from programs like this , is people bring me

machines riddles with aids and when you look through the programs and features the crapware was installed at the same time as the "free awesome driver updater program" so I dont have much faith in them

mobo drivers , generally I just go to the manufacturers site to get them

Edited by Johnny_Rico

Hi Bonz - i had a similar stuttering problem and it was nothing to do with how good the hardware is (it was a very new build). I used a program called Process Lasso which allows you to prioritize programs/games for CPU resources. Its free and very easy to use.

The most important being setting the DCS.exe as the high performance application. I also made DCS.exe a high priority for CPU, memory etc, and turning on bitsum highest performance power plan. There are lots of other options but try this initially.

This will take you all of 15 minutes to test and could solve your problems. Process Lasso is safe to install and can be uninstalled at any time.

Let us know how it goes.

Paddy

• Like 1

Reason why I warn people away from programs like this , is people bring me

machines riddles with aids and when you look through the programs and features the crapware was installed at the same time as the "free awesome driver updater program" so I dont have much faith in them

mobo drivers , generally I just go to the manufacturers site to get them

---> thats why virtual !

I have the exact same experience, DOZENS of times, ahh ...hundreds I guess.

Hi Bonz - i had a similar stuttering problem and it was nothing to do with how good the hardware is (it was a very new build). I used a program called Process Lasso which allows you to prioritize programs/games for CPU resources. Its free and very easy to use.

The most important being setting the DCS.exe as the high performance application. I also made DCS.exe a high priority for CPU, memory etc, and turning on bitsum highest performance power plan. There are lots of other options but try this initially.

This will take you all of 15 minutes to test and could solve your problems. Process Lasso is safe to install and can be uninstalled at any time.

Let us know how it goes.

Paddy

Thanks for the hint about Process Lasso. Going to check it out here shortly; I like that you can also remove the virtual processors (hyperthreading) for DCS.exe only - while leaving it on for the rest.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

I just tried it with Processor Lasso and it didn't make any difference for me. However, I was flying exclusively in VR and I don't think I'm CPU/Memory limited. I flew the same A10/Normandy/CAS mission and flew the same path. And I was at 45 for the most part, dipping down to 37 and going up to 50'ish. Both spikes (up or down) were quick. My guess is that if you're on the verge of being CPU bound, Processor Lasso will help. Other wise, it won't help. Which makes sense to me.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all for your help so far. The good news is that I'm flying the game and the stutters are not all that noticeable :(. I'm continuing to update drivers and firmware whenever I can and will update this post with any progress. My computer seems extremely fast otherwise so this issue is just flat frustrating. I will use NINITE and Process Lasso in future attempts. Thanks again.

Bonz...

Ninite is to install and update/upgrade supported software only. It will not mess with your rig or change any settings whatsoever.

Still, I use it with every new PC and at every site I service...saves dozens of hours and thousands of clicks.

ninite.com = :thumbsup:

*keep the downloaded installer script and run it again every other day ( with those supported Apps CLOSED ) to update them. That is the easiest way to keep them ALL up-2-date with 1 single click.