DCS : F4U-1 Corsair

Hueyman

2 hours ago, Ala13_ManOWar said:

I'm sure they are all just awaiting you to speak so they come wherever you're just to give you a heads up because you're special. It's not like they should keep working on their pending modules, or perhaps they don't want to sell their work, eating daily is overrated, yeah 🤣 .

no but, 2 months? were coming up on 2 months of hearing nothing. now for a dev that idk wants to make money on something and keep us interested, most places keep us updated on things. im not asking for like full blown dates and prices and such, just like hey this is why weve been quiet, and this is what weve been working on, and heres some pretty photos. maybe like a video or so. 

• Like 1

I suspect that the gorgeous looking screenshots, of the Corsair and Intrepid, made everyone assume that release was fairly close…

M3 comments on FB “time to fill her up” against an image of a Corsair on finals also give the impression that the module is close to release. The website update page also gives a similar impression, but does outline areas of ongoing coding (bat bomb / radar)

Let’s hope the Corsair is close, it’s highly anticipated and will be a day 1 purchase for me.

… would love to see some in-game video 😉

• Like 6

Guys, for the release going on green they need:
1) Finish the module (obvious)
2) Finish the A6M5 Zeke AI they are working on
3) Finish the Carrier
4) Finish their part of Pacific assett pack (screen shot about ground units)
5) Have ED finish Mariana Map WWII with their part of Pacific assett pack (probably some ships)
After all this points fulfilled they will send ED the module for testing and if it will be satisfactory they will go on release.
My two cents are for a September release.

Inviato dal mio BLA-L09 utilizzando Tapatalk

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Hunter Joker said:

Guys, for the release going on green they need:
1) Finish the module (obvious)
2) Finish the A6M5 Zeke AI they are working on
3) Finish the Carrier
4) Finish their part of Pacific assett pack (screen shot about ground units)
5) Have ED finish Mariana Map WWII with their part of Pacific assett pack (probably some ships)
After all this points fulfilled they will send ED the module for testing and if it will be satisfactory they will go on release.
My two cents are for a September release.

Eh, honestly, for release they need the item nr 1, and that alone. My bet is that one is taking time.

• Like 4

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

1 hour ago, Hunter Joker said:

This might be the most insightful comment here…

ED (and M3) may well be looking to coordinate the release of both

• Like 3

Eh, honestly, for release they need the item nr 1, and that alone. My bet is that one is taking time.
Do You release an aircraft that could not fit in any scenario You already have, with no enemy planes to fight, without some ground units coherently with the aircraftvandca carruer based warbirds without a carrier? I don't think so, if You wanna sell it.

18 minutes ago, Hunter Joker said:

Do You release an aircraft that could not fit in any scenario You already have, with no enemy planes to fight, without some ground units coherently with the aircraftvandca carruer based warbirds without a carrier? I don't think so, if You wanna sell it.

Look at (upon release of that module):

- P-51D First prop in DCS, on Caucasus map with no assets, no opponent

- Bf-109 Also Caucasus only and no assets. Only P-51 as opponent

- Fw-190D, same as above.

- I-16, no assets, no map, nothing

- F-86, Caucasus only, no assets, no opponent

- MiG-15 Caucasus only, no assets, only F-86 as opponent

So yeah, no, they do not have to wait for a proper environment.

Waiting for a proper environment is optional, people will buy the module regardless, especially when they know that the proper environment is being worked on and will eventually be released.

Edited by razo+r
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Captain Gaming said:

no but, 2 months? were coming up on 2 months of hearing nothing. now for a dev that idk wants to make money on something and keep us interested, most places keep us updated on things. im not asking for like full blown dates and prices and such, just like hey this is why weve been quiet, and this is what weve been working on, and heres some pretty photos. maybe like a video or so. 

No, most places doesn't, otherwise why would people complain all the time about updates in this or that module from this or that third party? 😅  I recall people's memory is usually quite short and two months of work in this kind of software job isn't that much, at all. I'm awaiting this module as much as anyone, but I'm sure they want to finish and release it probably even more than I want to fly it, not only this one but the others they are bogged with. If they don't say a thing, just keep working, we'll see it sooner than later. On the other hand if they only post screenshots and write on social media maybe they have less time to finish the job, but maybe I'm being gullible and they don't work at all, they don't want to finish and release their modules, and they just sit over piles of money laughing at our wait which apparently is what some people think of third parties, who knows 🙄 .

• Like 1

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Not to mention, from what you people say about completeness of sceneries, planesets and everything. I believe lately devs in general are trying a different policy with regard to that and they try to give players a bit more than just the module hoping people would find what to do with it. Of course, even though British versions fought in Europe and everything, a Corsair without carrier (not a simple one as we have seen in the screenshots, hence a hell of a lot of work), without either ground and airborne assets, and without a map is less appealing, so it may well be they try to coordinate a bit that so we get a more or less "full" environment for the Corsair and not just the module, if not simultaneously in a short period of time, specially bearing in mind all the things we know being worked on. A Marianas WWII release close or simultaneous to Corsair release plus ground, naval and air assets to crowd it would definitely be awesome!! But M3 keeps being a small team, that's a lot to ask them and if they manage to do that they deserve the highest of the recognitions, which usually isn't seen around here instead of complains. Anyhow, just let them work, they have shown they are doing their best, just let them keep working mates.

P.S.: a different thought, if you all remember usually modules aren't released very close one to another (or in sales periods), and we have already some recent releases and if everything goes well a lot more coming this very year. My guess is they (ED here) have to find the right spot to release Corsair without much interference to other modules/third parties and that may well mean we don't see it right away other things are released, who knows…

Edited by Ala13_ManOWar
  • Like 3

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

4 hours ago, Hunter Joker said:

We think pretty the same so...
Dev and things changed from past releases and the sweet spot is to have maximum appeal at the release so I will stick with my arguments for the Corsair release.

I agree and think you are probably pretty close to explaining the reasons behind the wait.

An awful lot of people would buy the Corsair on day one without a map, assets, or a carrier for sure.

But a lot of things have changed since the Mustang first released, and I think ED and its third parties are going to coordinate the timing of this with all the fanfare of opening a brand new WWII theater.

I expect this to be an even bigger event than the recent Apache release.

I am sure most here are no stranger to the quality of work this Dev does, but in case anyone is wondering, have a look at the other modules already released. Both are beautifully modeled with an extreme attention given to detail. You can for example watch a spring in action as you work the tail wheel if your so inclined.

Personally I think the whole WWII Pacific theater thing is going to be great, and am really looking forward to the Corsair. 

CE-II.jpeg

Edited by Callsign112
  • Like 5

This inane marketing game is played over and over in this industry so that by the time the add-on is released people rush to buy it without first checking for objective reviews.  In my experience the quality of the product is often inversely proportional to the length of time spent on hype. In this case that is about seven years  since the first "announcement."

Edited by billythebassman

I think you're confusing certain space game which won't probably be ever seen with a flight simulation like DCS is. The hype train you mention happens usually only close to release when you really see people excited because there is something to be excited about, screenshots, videos, manuals, whatever. Yes, that happens. We haven't seen a thing here aside from a few screenshots and that's mostly to calm the waters from those claiming the module won't happen because they don't see a thing. We aren't now in either of those situations, so nobody knows what seven years hype you're talking about 🤣🤣🤣 .

Edited by Ala13_ManOWar
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, billythebassman said:

This inane marketing game is played over and over in this industry so that by the time the add-on is released people rush to buy it without first checking for objective reviews.  In my experience the quality of the product is often inversely proportional to the length of time spent on hype. In this case that is about seven years  since the first "announcement."

Well if your interested in the WWII theme, and you've already developed an interest for DCS then that's where/how it all starts. But I'm not sure I would call it hype in the context you seem to be using. Yeah sure things can, and do get hyped from time to time. I guess its just part of the consumer culture we live in. But don't confuse that with real interest in something.

Here's what we know:

It's a navy fighter/bomber from WWII. It saw a lot of action in the Pacific, and the expectation is that it will be modeled to fly in DCS World like all the other WWII prop planes. I'm am really hyped about the Corsair's arrival, and I don't need a marketing add to sell me on it.

The other side of this is that while the Dev's have released bits of information here and there to feed the so called hype, most of the hype being generated is coming from the community itself, which is why I said don't confuse consumer interest with marketing hype.

Will the Corsair live up to the Dev's previous two releases, only time will tell. But one thing I will say, I wasn't here for all the complaints about the CEII, but TBO I don't really understand all the negative hype that was created because the Christen Eagle is so much fun to fly.  

• Like 2

im all for things being worked out properly, do i believe they need proper scenery and opponents? no. will it be nice when it does, yes, the corsair was used all the way up to Vietnam if i remember correctly. and being able to edit the mission and design it how we want is great. so i don't need the WWII Marianas, i don't need a zero (yet) i don't need an asset pack (yet), the CV looks done (speaking out my ass tho) and even if just take off and landing works on the CV ill take it. 

i see and understand all the points being made (esp the ones about them laughing at us on top of money) but what 3 minutes of them every week or 2 too throw a screen grab and a blurb about progress and such. maybe i stand alone in this. but they rely on us, and we rely on them, keep us around and informed. and yes i get they didnt want to release near Apache, that i totally understand. 

Plane+guns+dumb bombs= happy community. anything more and added on is amazing, but we just want the plane or updates. i dont think, as a consumer, thats too much to ask for.

• Like 1

"yes, the corsair was used all the way up to Vietnam if i remember correctly."

Sorry Captain, but you remember incorrectly. The Corsair did not see combat over Viet Nam. The last time it saw combat with U.S. forcers was over Korea.

• Like 1

It still saw combat however, at the time of the Vietnam war. During the Soccer War in July 1969 between El Salvador and Honduras. Both sides used F4Us, El Salvador the F4U-1D and Honduras F4U-5s.

France still used their F4U-7 in Algeria in the early 1960s.

10 hours ago, Cunctator said:

It still saw combat however, at the time of the Vietnam war. During the Soccer War in July 1969 between El Salvador and Honduras. Both sides used F4Us, El Salvador the F4U-1D and Honduras F4U-5s.

France still used their F4U-7 in Algeria in the early 1960s.

El Salvador also had P51s also I think.

um... ok, this has gotten very muddy.

the plane was not actually used in Vietnam. So maybe don't bring it up in Vietnam context even if only for time, especially since the Vietnam conflict was actually a really long time, longer if one might include the Indochina war.  Then again, Captain did say "up to", I think he's implying "but not during". meaning used used used stop, Gulf of Tonkin incident, Corsair retired? 

I  prefer Cun's post, which mentions the operators, the conflicts themselves and the years active. 

• Like 1

I believe it wasn't used in Vietnam, but IIRC I've seen some pictures of the latter models (-5 -7) still in use and they were pretty late, like even firsts sixties maybe, though in very minor jobs obviously, ANG and such. Anyhow, even if that was the case, which I'm still not sure, why would we want the -1D to be used in such a context even before having used it in it's rightful Pacific context is beyond my comprehension 🤣.

AU-1 AES-12 @ MCAS El Toro, CA 1956 web.jpg
picture circa 1956

• Like 2