Mig-21 Speculars workaround+Ext. fuel tanks material

Ala12Rv-watermanpc

This "fix" is ONLY for 2.1 version...there is nothing wrong with the 1.5 openbeta.

Hi guys!! just wanted to share with you a little workaround to fix the ugly look of any mig-21 skin except the "bare metal" one...simply, go to the bare metal skin folder and copy the files "MiG21Bis_01_RoMet" and "MiG21Bis_02_RoMet" (the ones looking pink) and rename them to "MiG21Bis_01_Spec" and "MiG21Bis_02_Spec" respectively...we are going to use them in any skin to make them look correctly.

Now, make a backup of the "MIG21Bis" zip file located in your CoreMods\aircraft\MiG-21BIS\Textures folder.

Once you have the backup (just in case) drag the files "MiG21Bis_01_Spec" and "MiG21Bis_02_Spec" to that zip file...now any skin using the default specs will look nice and metalic, just like it should :)

But we have not finish here...in case one particular skin uses its own spec files, you will have to override them with exactly the ones we have used before ("MiG21Bis_01_Spec" and "MiG21Bis_02_Spec") BUT dragging them in that skin folder and renaming them to whatever the name they have for that particular skin (if necessary, because most of the time they are named as "MiG21Bis_01_Spec" and "MiG21Bis_02_Spec"). Its very easy and takes 10 sec or less per skin. You should go skin by skin and look for those speculars.

Finally, to make the 21 look better, I customized the look of the external fuel tanks to look like real metal (slightly less polished than the plane) which adds the final touch. Also, fixed a couple of bugs that were present in the specular map for the external tanks.

The file is attached below...just drop the file "mig_21_droptanks_SPEC.bmp" it the "MiG-21Bis_Weapons" zip file located again in your CoreMods\aircraft\MiG-21BIS\Textures folder (make a backup first).

Once again, if the skin uses a custom ext tanks specular you must override the spec file for the tanks in the folder of the skin and name the file with the same name of the specular file for the tank that is used in that particular skin BUT, remember to delete the ".bmp" at the end.

Just that, hope you enjoy the nice look of the 21 in the meantime its totally fixed by M3LLC as there are several bugs in the specs yet.

final look:

1499683998-dcs-2017-07-08-01-54-55-99.jpg

EDIT: Sorry, I posted this into the M3LLC main forum instead of the mig-21 forum...please moderators, can you move it to the right place...sorry and thanks!!

mig_21_droptanks.rar

Edited by watermanpc

Take a look at my MODS here

Because 1.5.7 is already using the old engine version.

This fix is for 2.1.

Also this speculars are perfect for bare metal skins. The effect is superb. But for painted skins is not good at all. The metallic reflection is WAY to much, and the overall sensation is that the Mig-21 is painted with bright metal paint.

Edited by Esac_mirmidon

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

Thanks Esac_mirmidon, you are right, I forgot to mention that this workaround is for 2.1 only...already edited the first post to indicate that...

about the metalic look...well, I think it depends TOTALLY of the kind of paint used...there are paints that look more "plastic" and mutted, others can look more metalic...I see no problems with the metalic look, and there are mig-21 paints looking metalic...

what I see is that in 2.1 the mig-21 looks SUPERB with this "fix" in ALL skins I have tried (pretty much all that are available right now) and I like this metalic look much more that the "plastic" one tbh.

1499683977-dcs-2017-07-08-00-56-13-50.jpg

Cheers!!

Edited by watermanpc

Dont you think this is just too much?

zgl9bVD.jpg

rzJ67gB.jpg

oBQM728.jpg

b6Z1A12.jpg

Compare with a real Afghan pic.

1350420431_mig-21.jpg

On the other hand, the bare metal part is just perfect IMHO.

Ywo4emt.jpg

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

Well, as I said, this is a workaround...many Mig-21 skins have their own speculars, modded by the skinners to make the skin look as close to the real one as possible...

This is not the purpose of this "fix" which is just meant to make a fast adaptation to improve the ugly look that all 21 skins have now in 2.1.

Of course, every skin should be reworked for 2.1 (I think only the specular maps as the diffuse looks perfect in every skin I tried tbh) to make the fine tuning for each one but I think that with this tip, they ALL look MUCH better that before and dont think they are "too much", they are simply "metalic".

Anyway, is not very hard to make it less metalic, the problem is that its not possible to make a "global" less shiny specular working for all the skins that shouldnt look that metalic...you need to make an specific specular map for each skin and I dont recomend any 21 skinner to do so yet as there are important problems to solve first by M3LLC (like the wheels in the landing gear which I tried to solve but for some reason didnt work, sorry :()

I think we should enjoy this workaround while we wait M3LLC to totally adapt the speculars to the PBR system and once done skinners can edit them to fine tune their particular skin.

bye!!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...