Most complete full fidelity modern fighter?

bilbosmeggins

F-18 still has a long way to go, but it's getting quite interesting lately with all the new candy

Not too much of a fan of the F-18 if I’m honest. I prefer something a bit less refined. I like to “feel” a flight model, rather than any fly-by-wire. A bit like the P-51 I guess. I think I’m more of a fan of the actual flight side of things than I am a weapon-head. Although I do like the odd explosion :megalol:

I'm going to go with your initial intention and suggest the F-5E-3. It's complex, but not too complex compared to the Ka-50 or A-10C (or any of the modern fighter jets).

I disagree in calling the F5 "Incomplete." It has some minor bugs which can be annoying (and long standing), but you get a very complete experience of the aircraft. It does what it's designed to do. Perhaps you are seeing users complain about it's combat effectiveness and are thinking that is "incompleteness?" It has all it's designed weapons, systems, and features.

It doesn't have as good of missiles or radar as your FC3 aircraft. It's navigation system is harder to use, and less capable. But you will get the basics of how to interact with clickable cockpits, and it will do an excellent job of teaching you how to fly fast jets. And it's not terribly complicated.

I had flown the A-10C for a long time before the F-5E-3 released, but if I had the opportunity I would have probably flown the F-5 first. It really is a special aircraft.

Here's another idea:

Scrub the desire for a "complete module" and get the F-16C in Early Access. The F-16C is a great jet, and currently "more accessible" in it's Early Access state. You get a clickable cockpit aircraft, it teaches you how to interact with this fidelity, but it's limited systems mean you spend more time flying it than trying to learn computer screens and button presses. It's got a better radar and navigation like you're used to in FC3, and there will be quite a wait for new systems to be introduced.

Hopefully when they become available you will be ready for them, and you can expand your skills with it's features.

Well, the F-5E is still kinda calling out to me, as that was my initial attraction. It’s only a matter of time before I own it, and the JF. So it’s just a matter of which order I purchase them in. With my general ineptitude, the F-5E is the logical first step. Just wish I’d have tried them both during the “free period”, instead of fannying about with the Harrier. Oh well, too late now.

The F-16 isn’t really on my radar irrespective of it’s build state. Maybe it’s something that may appeal further on down the line. Just wish we could have a spate of modern Russian planes to redress things a little. I would deffo get the wallet out then.

I wouldn't recommend the f-18,f-16,jf-17 or m-2000 if you look for a plane to fly which lets you feel it.

Since you say you wanna play sp only i wouldn't recommend the f-5 either because you don't even get a campaign for that bird and the only thing available to buy are 2 campaigns in nevada.

I would recommend the F14 even if you don't trust the ai in your back since its really an outstanding module on its own and you get a lot of content for it. The l39 is also a good choice when you wanna focus on the flying itself, the kursant campaign is great for it.

Or you go with the viggen which isn't a fighter like some other birds but still a gread module with quite some content.

Specs:WIN10, I7-4790K, ASUS RANGER VII, 16GB G.Skill DDR3, GEFORCE 1080, NVME SSD, SSD, VIRPIL T-50 THROTTLE, K-51 COLLECTIVE, MS FFB2 (CH COMBATSTICK MOD), MFG CROSSWINDS, JETPAD, RIFT S

Modules:A10C, AH-64D, AJS-37, AV8B, BF109K4, CA, F/A18C, F14, F5EII, F86F, FC3, FW190A8, FW190D9, KA50, L39, M2000C, MI8TV2, MI24P, MIG15BIS, MIG19P, MIG21BIS, MIRAGE F1, P51D, SA342, SPITFIRE, UH1H, NORMANDY, PERSIAN GULF, CHANNEL, SYRIA

Thrustmaster TWCS Afterburner Detent
https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=223776

My Frankenwinder ffb2 stick

I wouldn't recommend the f-18,f-16,jf-17 or m-2000 if you look for a plane to fly which lets you feel it.

Since you say you wanna play sp only i wouldn't recommend the f-5 either because you don't even get a campaign for that bird and the only thing available to buy are 2 campaigns in nevada.

I would recommend the F14 even if you don't trust the ai in your back since its really an outstanding module on its own and you get a lot of content for it. The l39 is also a good choice when you wanna focus on the flying itself, the kursant campaign is great for it.

Or you go with the viggen which isn't a fighter like some other birds but still a gread module with quite some content.

Blimey! I hadn’t even considered if there was a campaign for it. That’s a bit of a poor do then, especially as I don’t own the Nevada map, nor did I have any intention of buying it. Always thought it seemed a bit pointless. Guess I better have a bit of a think.

I think with the A/G Radar and the new T-POD functions, the F/A-18C is my favorit aircraft in DCS now and the most flexible. It can't carry so many wepons like the A-10C, it's not so fast like the F-16C, F-15 or the SU-27, but it can do CAP missions, it can do CAS missions, it can do pinpoint missions and SEAD missions! It has TWS capability (Multi shoot capability) and it can fly supersonic and - It can land on an aircraft carrier :-). No other aircraft in DCS (except the F-14 is close to it, but it cannot carry Mavericks and it cannot use it's own laser for GBU's or carry AMRAMS, and it can't do SEAD missions as far as I know) can do all of these things! That's the reason why the F/A-18 is always a good choise ;-), but ok, it's not completed, but with the last update I have a new hope :-)

Edited by Topper81

The JF-17 can do everything, except navy stuff, like the Hornet too. It was able to do some stuff even befor the Hornet (a2g Radar, CM-802AKG). Its feature complete and even if the eurofighter comes out, i would still be more modern. Only weakness are its short legs and that in cant carry that many weapons at once. But hey, it can carry 32 laser guided missles BRM1-90 at once and there is a chance that deka will let us carry more of them to a total ammount of 64 missles. In my eyes, the JF-17 is the most completted most modern fighter that we have and it will be that for a long time.

Edited by Mike_Romeo

My skins

Personally I have no interest at all in it but as others have mentioned, the F/A-18 is probably your best bet. It seems to be ED's priority as far as development goes and gets everything well before the Viper.

No Campaign thou but there are a lot of single missions and 'ongoing' missions that will re-spawn targets for you over and over with radio commands etc. in the DCS User Files section, such as https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3306210/

A lot of systems on a lot of modules are borked at the moment, so don't really expect anything to work properly, but that's EA for ya. Stick to the Huey if you want the aircraft to work lol.

Also have you considered the Harrier? Very capable A-G aircraft and 'relatively' simple to use in comparison to the A-10, plus much faster and VTOL is interesting.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks for the suggestions. As much as the F/A-18 is probably a great module, and incredibly capable, it would have been far too much of a learning curve for me. I don’t have that much experience with all of the various systems, so need a manageable first step into the high fidelity planes.

Anyway, I ended up going full circle, and went with the F-5. I had my eye on it from the start. Naturally, I would have liked a campaign and more missions with it, but there are some decent training lessons with it. Had a quick go earlier and absolutely love it. It handles a lot differently to what I have been flying so far. The roll rate is incredible. It also seems that a lot of the mapping has been already been done for the Warthog, closely mirroring, where possible, the layout of the F-5. Obviously I still need to tailor it to what I am used to.

Overall, I am very, very pleased with It so far. I think it is going to be a very useful tool, and a fantastic springboard. It also appears to lend itself really well for vr, with all, but a couple of tiny pneumatic gauges, being easily read. And, being a simpler aircraft, the controls don’t disappear behind me, so I don’t need to be a contortionist to reach all the controls

So, once again, thanks to all who chipped in. I shall certainly refer back to all the advice given when I purchase my next plane.

Edited by bilbosmeggins
Typo

Good choice. F-5 is a great little aircraft and I still jump in it now and then for some basic flight. Nice simple systems and as you say will be a good springboard for the more advanced modules in the future.

I will say thou, don't think you have to jump straight in and know everything about operating all systems in the more 'advanced' aircraft like the Hornet or Viper straight up, and let that prevent you from purchasing it.

You can do exactly everything in the Hornet or Viper that you can do in the F-5...i.e precision flying, basic circuits and landings, gunnery and dumb bombs with no HUD guidance - heck just turn the HUD off if it is too much information. Don't turn the radar on, forget about the MFD pages etc. You can easily just work your way up through the absolute basics with the more advanced aircraft too.

But once you have mastered the F-5, the jump will be more manageable to the advanced jets with minimal 'learning' time. :thumbup:

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Even if the F-5 is not so capable like other aircrafts, it's a good choise and a funny aircraft wihtout any high-tec-features! I also like the MIG-21 because you can feel that these aircrafts are living mashines ;-) Congratiolation ;-)

Specs:WIN10, I7-4790K, ASUS RANGER VII, 16GB G.Skill DDR3, GEFORCE 1080, NVME SSD, SSD, VIRPIL T-50 THROTTLE, K-51 COLLECTIVE, MS FFB2 (CH COMBATSTICK MOD), MFG CROSSWINDS, JETPAD, RIFT S

Modules:A10C, AH-64D, AJS-37, AV8B, BF109K4, CA, F/A18C, F14, F5EII, F86F, FC3, FW190A8, FW190D9, KA50, L39, M2000C, MI8TV2, MI24P, MIG15BIS, MIG19P, MIG21BIS, MIRAGE F1, P51D, SA342, SPITFIRE, UH1H, NORMANDY, PERSIAN GULF, CHANNEL, SYRIA

Thrustmaster TWCS Afterburner Detent
https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=223776

My Frankenwinder ffb2 stick