AI Pairs takeoff and landing - new?

Whiskeybravo

I've just noticed the AI performing a pairs takeoff and subsequently watched a four ship AI land as 2 pairs.

Is this a new thing or am I just too old and have't noticed it before.

Either way, well done ED, it makes waiting for a pair to depart a more pleasant experience. :)

Cheers,

WB.

AI pair takeoff and landing has been in for long while now. Cannot remember since when but having been seeing AI do that.

I have equally seen AI following me in a real close formation flight. The AI was really close I was so impressed.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Yes. It's been in for quite a while. Don't know if it happens still that the AI sometimes lands in pairs on the carrier too :lol: , or if that has been corrected.

GPU: PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3080 10GB | CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 4,9GHz | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000MHz
VR: HP Reverb G2 | HOTAS: TM Warthog Throttle and Stick

AI will depart in pairs when “Takeoff From Runway” is used at spawn. Really wish they’d all enter the runway and align properly before takeoff regardless of how they start in game. Pretty sure the element landing is skill level dependent. “Excellent” will always do it but “Good” Or “ Average” generally won’t.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

As others have said, it's been in for quite a while, but that said, they have been tweaking T/O and landing behaviours a fair bit the last couple of months. They sneaked in the ability to tell AI planes to land to rearm and refuel a while back, and it… ehrm… had issues at first, but is now working very nicely (handbrake J-turns aside). Some of that seems to have affected how AI behave around airports in general, and I wouldn't be surprised if there are some under-the-hood ATC mechanics being fiddled with as well, as part of the larger carrier ATC overhaul, that might subtly alter these behaviours.

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

Well it was good to see. I hadn't realised that a pair would takeoff together as long as they were set to 'takeoff from runway'. I usually set my AI to start from the ramp so as to give the airfield a little more life while I'm going through my start ups.

Good to see that the ATC systems seems to be getting a bit of an overhaul. The carrier stuff looks interesting. I wonder how much of it will translate to land based ops. It would be great to have a crew chief and ground-crew to interact with whilst checking flaps and air-brakes etc!!

WB.

Yes. It's been in for quite a while. Don't know if it happens still that the AI sometimes lands in pairs on the carrier too :lol: , or if that has been corrected.

Oh yes, my wing man followed me right in when I snagged a pretty respectful 4 wire. Caught the wire, just started to roll back and ...... BOOM! Didn't realize what it actually was the caused the explosion until going back thru the track. Needless to say, I was disappointed and :megalol: all at the same time....

Cheers,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

AI Pairs takeoff and landing - new?

It would be great if AI would takeoff/land in pair with player from ramp start. Don’t know why they won’t yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

It would be great if AI would takeoff/land in pair with player from ramp start. Don’t know why they won’t yet.

Because players are completely unpredictable and 75% of them can't takeoff/land in formation to save their ass.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Because players are completely unpredictable and 75% of them can't takeoff/land in formation to save their ass.

I understand that, but the player can also dictate if AI will or not follow them, yes? You can either tell them to RTB or stay with the player. Hell, they could even make it for only excellent AI. I think it should be there. Just more icing on the cake, the abilities to give the player options already exist.

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone managed to get a AI wingman to land with them lately?

Yes. A few days ago. Surprised the hell out of me. :)

Very unsatisfying to watch it from the F11 view, though. The difference in flight models, etc makes it look very very odd.

Edited by Ironhand

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Very unsatisfying to watch it from the F11 view, though. The difference in flight models, etc makes it look very very odd.

I'm wondering if you can only get them to land with you in "0" wind. In a few flights this afternoon, that was the only difference I could see. Any wind at all and they followed me down to an "almost" landing and, then, aborted and went around. In any case, their behavior is odd, when you watch it actually happen:

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Well, I would say that looks like they still cant land. Its sad that they dont fix this, its been like that for five years atleast. I would really like to be able to land with my wingman instead of having to send him of on his own just before I start the approach.

Skickat från min D5503 via Tapatalk

Edited by Fisherman82

I agree. It makes single player almost useless in terms of immersion because you can't create missions with the notion that the AI will do the most basic stuff. You always at this point have to find work-arounds which is ridiculous. For example, AI Harriers (wingmen) cannot take off with you from the Tarawa because they immediately start up and crash into you. They also do not land on Tarawa, just fall into the sea right beside the carrier. It is maddening from a mission makers perspective.