Help please

Kentvilla

Hi I have finally got to know how to fire Mavericks from my AV-8 but I know once you have fired 1 the side of the plane you fired from lifts because of the weight. However when mine kicks up the plane becomes uncontrollable and I struggle to keep it straight, level and upright and nine times out of ten crash into the ground. How do I control this?

Layman's terms please as I am a newbie so treat me like im 5 years of old.

Trim, trim, trim ; and then trim again.

:D

More seriously, when anticipating an asymetrical loadout on the harrier (which does not like it at all), trim first, drop your weapon, then trim more.

Here's what I do, considering I'll drop a heavy bomb from the left side :

- start level and on autopilot (ensures a perfect trim)

- trim a bit to the left, up to the point I need stick input to the right to maintain level flight

- drop my bomb

- immediately trim more to the left, up to the point I'm more or less trimmed

- turn autopilot on again

Zip - VEAF :pilotfly:

If you want to learn, talk and fly with french-speaking friends, the Virtual European Air Force is here for you ! Meet us on our Discord and our forum

If you're a mission creator, you may want to check the VEAF Mission Creation Tools (and its GitHub repository) a set of open-source scripts and tools that make creating a dynamic mission a breeze !

Trim, trim, trim ; and then trim again.

:D

More seriously, when anticipating an asymetrical loadout on the harrier (which does not like it at all), trim first, drop your weapon, then trim more.

Here's what I do, considering I'll drop a heavy bomb from the left side :

- start level and on autopilot (ensures a perfect trim)

- trim a bit to the left, up to the point I need stick input to the right to maintain level flight

- drop my bomb

- immediately trim more to the left, up to the point I'm more or less trimmed

- turn autopilot on again

Brilliant thanks ill try that. Why on the subject of trimming do you constantly trim I have only ever used the trim for up and down. is there a left and right trim?

Brilliant thanks ill try that. Why on the subject of trimming do you constantly trim I have only ever used the trim for up and down. is there a left and right trim?

There is a left and right trim ; in fact for most planes it's a good idea to map a hat button on the stick (the Warthog has a grey one dedicated to trim on the A10) for the 4 trim directions.

I do not constantly trim, except :

- when droping ordnance

- when changing pitch / roll while under autopilot (trim will make the autopilot climb/descend or go left/right without turning it off)

- on VSTOL with cross wind

Zip - VEAF :pilotfly:

If you want to learn, talk and fly with french-speaking friends, the Virtual European Air Force is here for you ! Meet us on our Discord and our forum

If you're a mission creator, you may want to check the VEAF Mission Creation Tools (and its GitHub repository) a set of open-source scripts and tools that make creating a dynamic mission a breeze !

Hi I have finally got to know how to fire Mavericks from my AV-8 but I know once you have fired 1 the side of the plane you fired from lifts because of the weight. However when mine kicks up the plane becomes uncontrollable and I struggle to keep it straight, level and upright and nine times out of ten crash into the ground. How do I control this?

Layman's terms please as I am a newbie so treat me like im 5 years of old.

Ok, so this is not the same AV8B we have, this is the Spanish versions, and this is just one pilots ways of flying. With that said, if you watch this video:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3713210&postcount=27

You will see the pilots thumb is almost always on the trim switch. He turn and trims, he goes wings level and trim, etc. So it seems on this example to be something you continuously do.

To add to this, I tend to have a problems when engage by missiles or fighter, I always tent to over react on my controls. This almost always departs flight. I sat down and started to read the A1-AV8BB-NFM-000, Part IV, chapter 11 ( you should look for this online) What I started to learn and something I need to practice a lot is how many things this aircraft does not like. Examples:

- All variants of the AV−8B can experience a sudden uncommanded roll−off, also called wing drop, caused by the abrupt asymmetric stall of the wings. Wing drop occurs suddenly, with little or no warning to the pilot, and may occur at AOAs below the maneuvering tone.

- As airspeed decreases, AOA increases. It is important to recognize the aircraft’s sensitivity to AOA. At slow airspeeds, small amounts of back−stick pressure and in some cases the release of small amounts of forward−stick pressure may create a high AOA excursion. This may in turn lead to wing rock, directional instability, which the pilot will recognize as a wandering sideslip vane, and a possible departure from controlled flight. The target AOA during any slow speed flight should be 10 to 15 units AOA, although 15 to 20 units may be acceptable under certain circumstances. AOA will always increase with roll when any sideslip is present and can rapidly increase as a function of sink rate without significant pilot aggravation. During slow speed flight when the flight controls provide reduced effectiveness, AOA management becomes critical.

- Avoid use of the rudder above 250 KCAS.

- Near “Maneuvering” Mcrit, reduce the throttle prior to aggressively

maneuvering to ensure the airspeed remains less than Maneuvering Mcrit.

- Do not roll the aircraft with high roll rates under moderate (or greater) G/AOA.

- Do not roll the aircraft at higher G/AOAs. (Reduce G/AOA prior to rolling).

- Do not use high G/AOA onset rates. (Do not “snatch” on the G/AOA).

- Do not roll the aircraft with high roll rates at high mach numbers (Slow

below Mcrit prior to rolling/turning).

- Do not try to pull to “normal” maneuvering AOAs at greater than 0.78 IMN.

(Buffet onset can occur as low as 7 to 8 degrees AOA)

This are just some of the example. I need to practice a lot but this is one of the reasons the aircraft is fun to fly. To much rudder, not enough, to much AOA or not enough, etc. can make you depart.

Anyway, it is an interesting read and lots to learn from it.

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..