DCS and Pimax

Wags

Minor question about the 5k+ (or any other hmd for that matter) do you get the annoying disappearing clouds with it or is it just in the Rift? Thanks

Certainly get it at times on the Vive Pro.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Minor question about the 5k+ (or any other hmd for that matter) do you get the annoying disappearing clouds with it or is it just in the Rift? Thanks

I think that is a render/distance issue not a headset issue. The cloud is at the max render range and you turn your head it goes outside the range and disappears. Just my theory.

Thermaltake Core P90 Tempered Glass//Thermaltake iRGB Plus 1200W//GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS MASTER LGA 1151//i9-9900K//Thermaltake CL420 Copper Radiator//Thermaltake W4 Plus//Thermaltake 140mm Radiator Fan Triple Pack//Samsung 1TB 970 EVO NVMe M2//SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 500GB //CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 64GB 3200//GIGABYTE AORUS GeForce RTX 2080 TI//Logitech G940//Virpil MT50 Throttle//MFG Crosswind rudder pedals//Geko GSeat//Gametrix Jetseat//Htc Vive//Pimax 5k+//Viril VFX//Razer Nari Ultimate

Ok guys,

here's my experience with the Pimax 5K so far.

I'm a long time Rift user and was anxious about the 5K when I received it by the end of last year. Disappointment was huge after I somehow failed to get my (Oculus) programs to run with the 5K. After a lot of experiments, studying different forums I finally was able to get the 5K to run pretty stable with both DCS and DCS OB.

It took quite some time to find the best adjustments in both PiTool, SteamVR and DCS but meanwhile I have found a pretty satisfying arrangement.

Altough not as smooth (smooth enough to be playable even on high frequented MP servers) as the Rift, the level of immersion the fantastic sharpness of the cockpit and that huge FoV makes it so much better and therefor my absolute favorite!!! And I haven't even pulled all triggers to the right ;-)

I'm confident that for the future program and graphic codes will improve and provide even better results for resource eating VR goggles as the 5K.

But whenever there's light there's also some shadow. In this case what really bothers me is the comfort of the Pimax. After some 2-3 hours of flying you feel the weight of the casing and some pressure on the nose. Feeling on this was much better with the Rift.

Another issue is the use of controllers. I found out that with other games the Oculus controllers functioned much more comfortable and better than the Vive ones that I'm using until the Pimax controllers have arrived.

But since I'm using a full scale Huey SimPit without having to use the controllers in game, it's not that much of an issue for me but it certainly will be for users that need to use the controllers in game.

That's it from my side so far.

Cheers!

My System: Full Scale Huey SimPit

-Pit Computer: i7-12700K | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS Pro | 64GB DDR5 RAM | Nvidia RTX3090FE | Kingston KC3000 NVme

- All day use: i7-4790K | 32GB DDR4 RAM | ASRock Z97 Killer | GeForce RTX 2080 Ti AMP! | Oculus Rift | Pimax8KX | Sensoryx VRFree Gloves | X-TAL VR

Do you need to run steamvr for the Pimax headset to work properly?

I've been just loading up Pitool and running DCS, which then launches oculus program in the background but no steamvr. However, I can't for the life of me get a clear image - everything seems a little cross-eyed and distorted no matter where i place the headset on my head. Yes - i have parallel projections enabled.

Check out my 'real world'

video series

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I've been just loading up Pitool and running DCS, which then launches oculus program in the background but no steamvr. However, I can't for the life of me get a clear image - everything seems a little cross-eyed and distorted no matter where i place the headset on my head. Yes - i have parallel projections enabled.

Yes, SteamVR is required. And make sure you adjusted the IPD with the physical dial on Pimax. I can't remember where, but there is a screen where you can dial in your traditional IPD (not DCS in game setting IPD)

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Well, I had also encountered the same issue. When trying to start DCS through PiTool DCS started in Oculus mode. It took a while to figure out that it necessary to stop all Oculus services in the task manager.

In regards of your "cross-eyed" vision, I just have no clue what could cause this. Does changing the PID manually with the thumbwheel affect your vision in any way?

Cheers

-Pit Computer: i7-12700K | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS Pro | 64GB DDR5 RAM | Nvidia RTX3090FE | Kingston KC3000 NVme

- All day use: i7-4790K | 32GB DDR4 RAM | ASRock Z97 Killer | GeForce RTX 2080 Ti AMP! | Oculus Rift | Pimax8KX | Sensoryx VRFree Gloves | X-TAL VR

IPD adjustment helps but I can't get a clear image like I can in the rift. I'm going to compare my unit with a friends to see if it is a problem with the headset of my setup

Check out my 'real world'

video series

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

IPD adjustment helps but I can't get a clear image like I can in the rift. I'm going to compare my unit with a friends to see if it is a problem with the headset of my setup

curious to see how your comparison goes, keep us posted.

[sIGPIC] "GOONIE" [/sIGPIC]

"GOONIE"

CSG-1 VFA-25

DCS does not use parallel projection. Turn it off.

Here's a link to the ongoing spreadsheet.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11ljKyF0eMgY3qqZWjVVBvI0brfv9IxocXjroYtJyTlY/edit#gid=0

I5 6600K @4.5, Gigabyte GA-Z170XP mobo, GMMAXX GTE Cooler, MSI GTX 1080 ti Gaming X gpu (factory OC), SoundBlaster X-F1 sound card, 16 gig Corsair Vengeance ddr4 ram @ 3200 , 3 ssd hds, EVGA 650 Gold Power supply, Saitek X52 Hotas and rudders, 2 AuraSound AST-2B-4 Pro Bass Shakers, Pimax 5K+

Agreed....I hated the feel with the pimax headband (sportsbra)....sore nose, sore cheek bones, pain in the arse etc...the vive audio strap was well worth the money and solved a lot of comfort problems. I can wear it for hours now with no problems...now if I could only get a vive audio strap for my lower back....

Fargo

I9-9900, GTX1080Ti,32GRam,Pimax 5k+, HP Reverb, TM WartHog, MTG Pedals

DCS does not use parallel projection. Turn it off.

Here's a link to the ongoing spreadsheet.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11ljKyF0eMgY3qqZWjVVBvI0brfv9IxocXjroYtJyTlY/edit#gid=0

Incorrect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Incorrect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let me re-phrase. DCS does not need PP for general play. Admit that it will run with PP and the zoom works when doing so, but the trade off is performance so I just close one eye on the rare occasion that I use zoom.

I5 6600K @4.5, Gigabyte GA-Z170XP mobo, GMMAXX GTE Cooler, MSI GTX 1080 ti Gaming X gpu (factory OC), SoundBlaster X-F1 sound card, 16 gig Corsair Vengeance ddr4 ram @ 3200 , 3 ssd hds, EVGA 650 Gold Power supply, Saitek X52 Hotas and rudders, 2 AuraSound AST-2B-4 Pro Bass Shakers, Pimax 5K+

Let me re-phrase. DCS does not need PP for general play. Admit that it will run with PP and the zoom works when doing so, but the trade off is performance so I just close one eye on the rare occasion that I use zoom.

Yeah, that's better :thumbup:

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

Hey lads,

I had the feeling that after updating the latest DCS OB, my system somehow tended to step on the brakes. Flying online with the F-14 was like a picture frame show and absolutely not playable.

THEN: I discovered the latest Nvidia driver 419.35. Installed it and with some tweaking done :TA-DAA!!! Even on a high frequented server the 'Cat runs smooth and comfortable.

I highly recommend everybody to update the driver. It worked for me!

Cheers

Same situation with the slow down since the F-14, but 419.35 doesn't help.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

Same situation with the slow down since the F-14, but 419.35 doesn't help.

Hummel Hummel Boris ;)

Did you clean the shader cache before starting DCS? And what are your settings in Pitool? Somehow it runs pretty smooth on my machine but I had the strange experience that when kicking in the AB on the Tomcat, the picture almost got stuck... After turning the afterburner off again, everything went fluent again.

A restart of my computer solved the problem.

Cheers

Hummel Hummel Boris ;)

Did you clean the shader cache before starting DCS? And what are your settings in Pitool? Somehow it runs pretty smooth on my machine but I had the strange experience that when kicking in the AB on the Tomcat, the picture almost got stuck... After turning the afterburner off again, everything went fluent again.

A restart of my computer solved the problem.

Cheers

Mors Mors!

Yes, I clear the shaders regularly

Really stange behaviour on the afterburner you have there...

I get the impression that DCS seems to have a bit of a mind of its own. I get fairly dramatic performance differences with every DCS update and in combination with different drivers.

Yesterday night I installed the latest Pitool release (non-beta) and tweaked the steamVR settings.

I gave fixed foveated rendering another shot and now I must say my impression is very good. I even set it to "aggressive" and I find the result very good. The only small drawback is is some shimmering (due to aliasing) in the foveated area.

I'm pretty sure I got a nice performance gain.

Also, I went even lower on the supersampling in SteamVR. For some reason it seems to think 128% is a good setting for me by default. I had it running on 100%, but now I've set it to around 90%. This results in a horizontal resolution of just over 3000 pixels per eye, which is still much higher than the native 2560.

There is a small sacrifice in clarity though.

Settings in Pitool:

Hidden mask area on

Parallel projection off

Resolution scaling 1 (off)

FFR aggressive

72 Hz

It's a good deal smoother now. This makes me much more confident, that the Pimax 5k+ will be improving even more in performance in the coming months. I'm sure advancements in Pitool will help further, and Wags has already announced that DCS will be optimized further towards VR.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

In DCS I need to turn on parallel project to get the zoom feature to function, otherwise when zooming it is all cross eyed looking...otherwise DCS seems to run fine with parallel projection turned of.

Fargo

I9-9900, GTX1080Ti,32GRam,Pimax 5k+, HP Reverb, TM WartHog, MTG Pedals

In DCS I need to turn on parallel project to get the zoom feature to function, otherwise when zooming it is all cross eyed looking...otherwise DCS seems to run fine with parallel projection turned of.

Correct, and hopefully we will see a fix for this soon. DCS is one of the few games that still requires Parallel Projection to be ran. Given Wags' post in the OP here, from quite a while ago, stating that ED and Pimax were working together, one could have reasonably assumed things would have been more buttoned up from the start.

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

I don’t own that space sim...but the ww2 sim you refer to is smooth is vr...almost 90fps in every situation....with dcs often i cannot get 45...i hope vulkan and the vr optimizations will do something

Certainly not constant 90 in heavy combat situations with the other sim. It has great performance, but unlike DCS the devs have done nothing to address the propeller artifacts caused by ASW/motion smoothing. As a result of this ASW has to be turned off, and therefore I actually find DCS to be smoother (once DCS gets the damage model stutters out of its system). Overall though I don't think theres that much in it, think people focus too much on what the FPS counters say.

I actually get more frustrated with the other sims developers tbh, as whereas the DCS devs are aware there is work to be done, and improvements to be made, the others seem to take the position that their VR implementation is perfect and finished, and therefore we can expect no more development. Both sims could do alot better with VR, but that said I am grateful for what we already have with both.

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,