DCS and Pimax

Wags

Would be cool if ED created an auto pilot benchmark mission where you just sat in the cockpit and let a 5 minute intensive mission auto pilot itself, then you could do the above in a more controlled environment.

You can simply save a track file an replay it. The replay function is not the best as we all know but it works quite well for this.

Best method I found to get a reproducible FPS picture.

I record the FPS with FRAPS which writes a CSV file. So you can compare changes of FPS for the same track after version updates (driver, DCS etc.)

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

Seems as if the 5k plus is a better option for DCS ...

Edited by Shack

Intel i9 7980XE @4.4Hz

64GB DDR4 RAM at 2666MHz

GTX 1080Ti with 11GB GDDR5X

Reverb Pro HMD

HOTAS: TM Warthog throttle / TM F18 Grip

Dual H640P Huion tablets used with VRK (Virtual Kneeboard ) software

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

DOF Reality P6, 6 axis Motion Platform

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Has anyone from The DCS Community who pre-ordered received theirs yet?

If I'm not mistaken, the pre-orders ship in Q1 2019.

Intel i9 7980XE @4.4Hz

64GB DDR4 RAM at 2666MHz

GTX 1080Ti with 11GB GDDR5X

Reverb Pro HMD

HOTAS: TM Warthog throttle / TM F18 Grip

Dual H640P Huion tablets used with VRK (Virtual Kneeboard ) software

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

DOF Reality P6, 6 axis Motion Platform

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You are right. I ordered Pimax a week ago, in support they said that expect to ship an item in 90 days. For the person from kickstarter they expect to finalise shipping mid-end of January

Backers should have them before then ....No?

i7-9700K @ 5.0 l MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus MB l 32GB DDR4 2400 Ram l Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 l EVGA 3080 FTW l Win10 Pro l WarBRD/Warthog Hotas l VKB MkIV rudder Pedals l Reverb G2

Pimax has sent device selection emails to backers up through 3,000 I believe, so they are finally starting to chug along with production.

Not a whole heck of a lot of tracking emails sent out yet, though.

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Got my notification today that mine will be shipped.

They provided a survey with it to tell them which version you want and a $100 dollar credit for addon items if you went from the 8K to the 5K product line.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

I got my survey today and am in the last group, I'm sure. The current shipping plan has all KS backers shipped by end of 3rd week of Jan but it's missing orders 2000 to 2500 so end of Jan. They have no room for error before Chinese holidays which could add 3 weeks to the time and they begin 1st week of Feb. Here's hoping though.

I5 6600K @4.5, Gigabyte GA-Z170XP mobo, GMMAXX GTE Cooler, MSI GTX 1080 ti Gaming X gpu (factory OC), SoundBlaster X-F1 sound card, 16 gig Corsair Vengeance ddr4 ram @ 3200 , 3 ssd hds, EVGA 650 Gold Power supply, Saitek X52 Hotas and rudders, 2 AuraSound AST-2B-4 Pro Bass Shakers, Pimax 5K+

I got my notice that it's shipping soon. I'm around the 3,000 backer mark. Hope to write up a review before the end of the year.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I´m backer #1943, but still sceptical receiving my 5K+ this year.

I7 6700K, Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, EVGA GTX1080Ti SC, 32GB DDR4 @ 3000, Win10 64, BenQ EW3270ZL 2560x1440, VPC WarBRD Base + TM Warthog Grip, TM Warthog Throttle, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals, Oculus Rift S

With the different FOV settings in the Pimax, does the number of pixels displayed change, i.e. get reduced for smaller angles, or do the same number of pixels get squashed in and the aspect change to suit?

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

With the different FOV settings in the Pimax, does the number of pixels displayed change, i.e. get reduced for smaller angles, or do the same number of pixels get squashed in and the aspect change to suit?

The first, from what I can tell it changes the HMD's default resolution directly to cut off FOV.

So the performance benefits of running a limited fov become substantial.

But even the lowest FOV is far more than what is found in current HMD's.

Can't say much more than that though since I'm in the mid 4k range of backers and not likely to get my unit any time soon.

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

The first, from what I can tell it changes the HMD's default resolution directly to cut off FOV.

So the performance benefits of running a limited fov become substantial.

But even the lowest FOV is far more than what is found in current HMD's.

Can't say much more than that though since I'm in the mid 4k range of backers and not likely to get my unit any time soon.

So, what are the FOV angles of the Large, Normal and Small settings?

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Start at timemark 57:47

He lists a timemark index under the video

I5 6600K @4.5, Gigabyte GA-Z170XP mobo, GMMAXX GTE Cooler, MSI GTX 1080 ti Gaming X gpu (factory OC), SoundBlaster X-F1 sound card, 16 gig Corsair Vengeance ddr4 ram @ 3200 , 3 ssd hds, EVGA 650 Gold Power supply, Saitek X52 Hotas and rudders, 2 AuraSound AST-2B-4 Pro Bass Shakers, Pimax 5K+

OK, I found it. It's 170 degrees for large, 150 for normal and 120 for small.

So, by my calcs, the Small setting will have 5.2m pixels for 120 degrees. This compares to the Vive Pro's 4.6m for 110 degrees. Pretty much the same on a pro-rata basis.

I guess therefore, the only benefit of the Pimax 5K+ is the additional FOV at higher settings, but the actual image quality will be no better than the Vive Pro.

So, by my calcs, the Small setting will have 5.2m pixels for 120 degrees. This compares to the Vive Pro's 4.6m for 110 degrees. Pretty much the same on a pro-rata basis.

I guess therefore, the only benefit of the Pimax 5K+ is the additional FOV at higher settings, but the actual image quality will be no better than the Vive Pro.

Pixels will be sharper/have more clarity due to the pattern, making reading in cockpit text easier as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Having tried both, the SDE is much smaller than the Vive Pro. Thus perceived better image quality

Twitch2DCS - Bring twitch chat into DCS.

SplashOneGaming.com - Splash One is a community built on combat flight simulation. S1G Discord

twitch / youtube / facebook / twitter / discord

Having tried both, the SDE is much smaller than the Vive Pro. Thus perceived better image quality

True. One of the main reasons for that, and people actually don't think about it at all, is the lens magnification factor. Because of relations of the FOV and display size, Pimax lens magnification is smaller than on Vive, Rift or some WMR.

I will put it in numbers to be more precise, even those numbers will not be exact values but relations and ratio will be to get the picture what I'm talking about.

If Rift, Vive and some WMR have a lens which magnifies 3 times and Pimax lens is magnified 2.5 times. This means higher magnification is larger SDE and that what Jabbers describing the difference in SDE and we make some calculation lead us 16 to 17% smaller SDE.

Also about clarity one of the major factors is PPD or Pixel Per Degree. For that, we just need a different formula for calculation. Horizontal resolution per eye / horizontal FOV per eye. this calculation gives us for Rift Vive approximate 12PPD, for Vive PRO or WMR approximate 14PPD and for Pimax 5K or 8K approximate 18PPD.

Another major factor for clarity is display reproduction. 5K+ and Lenovo Explorer got LCD display which supports full RGB 4:4:4 colors in other casePimax8K or Vive PRO don't. That is why 5K+ and 8K even with the same PPD don't have the same level of clarity.

Or for example, 5K+ and Explorer both have full RGB 4:4:4 support but Explorer have lower PPD and higher magnification and thesis why have more pronounced SDE and less clarity.

I believe Jabbers and others who have experience with all of this VR HMD could agree with how my calculations explain and confirming this differences.

So you can get a picture of what to expect.

Also about clarity one of the major factors is PPD or Pixel Per Degree. For that, we just need a different formula for calculation. Horizontal resolution per eye / horizontal FOV per eye. this calculation gives us for Rift Vive approximate 12PPD, for Vive PRO or WMR approximate 14PPD and for Pimax 5K or 8K approximate 18PPD.

Surely Rift/Vive are approx 10 PPD (1080/110), Vive Pro 13 PPD (1440/110) and Pimax 5K+ 15 PPD (2560/170).

Surely Rift/Vive are approx 10 PPD (1080/110), Vive Pro 13 PPD (1440/110) and Pimax 5K+ 15 PPD (2560/170).

Thinking about this, surely it should be double these values as those were for single eyes.