Space bar does not roll F16 training tutorial forward

Prior Post?

Yes for other modules (most recent in May 2019) but with no fix. None specific to F16 that I could find, but IAH I cant search all 26 pages either - nothing in the first few though and nothing on a search for 'F16 Space/F16 spacebar'.

Version:

Open Beta 2.5.6.45915.

Issue:

Space bar does not move lesson forward (as per directions) on F16 missions (note this has always been an issue for me and may not be limited to the F16).

Have tested the error on all 8 currently available training missions. Same issue.

Work around's tried:

- Wait for Wags to stop talking without pressing anything (failed)

- Check space bar not conflicting with other call backs (no issue, default key map being used, space only mapped to 2nd trigger detent).

- Try pressing gun instead of space (fail).

- Try having space mapped to no call back/inputs (fail).

- Try mapping space to first gun stage (fail).

- Try exiting and clicking 'fly again' (fail).

- Try full exit of to main menu (fail).

- Try full exit to desktop (fail).

- Try system restart (fail).

- Try full reinstall (not applicable, this is a new re-install as of two days ago, and the issue has been consistent with other aircraft for the last few years, despite multiple re-installs along the way).

Edited by Sharpe_95

Currently my version does allow space bar to proceed.

Historically DCS has had two different methods of waiting for advancement. The older method looked for a specific simulation command such as gun trigger while the mission generally tells you to press that simulation command. This had the issue where sometimes the mission told you to press the default keyboard key (e.g. space) for the expected simulation command even if that key no longer is assigned to that command.

The newer method (and the one most newer missions use) looks for specific keyboard key inputs that are not tied to any cockpit command or parameter and are independent of simulation command keyboard or button assignments.

I have made a simple testing mission to check if your keyboard space bar and backspace keys are being detected correctly. There might be a keyboard format or input language issue causing your inputs to not be recognized as the standard ones. Alternatively there could be some kind of internal binding issue where the continue and back inputs are corrupted although I don't know if that code is user-accessible or where it would be.

SpacebarBackspaceTester.zip

How is Windows set up (locale, keyboard language/layout etc) and what type of keyboard?

How long are you pressing the space bar for? I have had issues in the past if I don't press and hold for a reasonable length of time

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

Do you have anything else bound to the same function as space bar – a trigger or button or anything similar on a different device? What happens if you press that instead? Because, as mentioned above, it's been a common solution when this behaviour has appeared in other modules that the scripting trigger isn't listening to space bar, as such, but rather to whatever underlying function space bar is bound to by default. As such, fiddling with the space bar itself does nothing, whereas pressing, say, the second trigger detent on the joystick does.

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

• 3 years later...

Was an answer ever found for this?

I am relatively new to DCS, and I'm trying to go through the training, but nothing happens when I press the space bar so the training will not move on.

Worryingly, from Googling for a solution it appears I will run into the same issue when I start to try to do missions, as I see there is a lot of press space bar to advance required in missions too.

AFAIK I have not mapped space to anything else in DCS. Whilst I can fire guns, pressing the gun trigger does not advance the training either.

29 minutes ago, Calum WE said:

Was an answer ever found for this?

I am relatively new to DCS, and I'm trying to go through the training, but nothing happens when I press the space bar so the training will not move on.

Worryingly, from Googling for a solution it appears I will run into the same issue when I start to try to do missions, as I see there is a lot of press space bar to advance required in missions too.

AFAIK I have not mapped space to anything else in DCS. Whilst I can fire guns, pressing the gun trigger does not advance the training either.

I just tested training mission 1 and 6 and they all progressed using spacebar. My space bar is mapped to "Camera/Gun Trigger - Second default"  This is the default.  Have you changed it?

DCS has a couple of spots a space bar may be miss-bound. Under your controls section in the upper left you have a drop down box that allows you to swap between aircraft and DCS specific controls.  So the space bar issue may be in your aircraft or something like the "General" tab.  In my controls (These are years of fine tuning, so they could be messed up) I dont have space mapped to any general or UI layer of DCS.

I assume if that doesn't work, you should save a track file of your attempt.  

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/faq/support_ticket/#3319437

This link has the instructions in how to create a track file.  It will be the "DCS Track File" hyperlink at the top. 

I am not super knowledgeable in bug testing, but those that are, will want a track file at the very least.  Also, DCS version (beta, Stand-alone, or Steam) and any other specifics you can think of can be useful.

Edit:  Im on the multi-threading version 2.8.4.39731 currently for reference 

Edited by CageyLobster

1 hour ago, CageyLobster said:

I just tested training mission 1 and 6 and they all progressed using spacebar. My space bar is mapped to "Camera/Gun Trigger - Second default"  This is the default.  Have you changed it?

DCS has a couple of spots a space bar may be miss-bound. Under your controls section in the upper left you have a drop down box that allows you to swap between aircraft and DCS specific controls.  So the space bar issue may be in your aircraft or something like the "General" tab.  In my controls (These are years of fine tuning, so they could be messed up) I dont have space mapped to any general or UI layer of DCS.

I assume if that doesn't work, you should save a track file of your attempt.  

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/faq/support_ticket/#3319437

This link has the instructions in how to create a track file.  It will be the "DCS Track File" hyperlink at the top. 

I am not super knowledgeable in bug testing, but those that are, will want a track file at the very least.  Also, DCS version (beta, Stand-alone, or Steam) and any other specifics you can think of can be useful.

Edit:  Im on the multi-threading version 2.8.4.39731 currently for reference 

Thanks for your response.

I will go back into control settings and try to see anything non aircraft specific space bar is bound to. I did try a VR headset before returning it, and I noticed when I was attempting to resolve this issue that space was bound to re-centre VR view. I think that is default. I don't think I set that, but I will try removing it.

I just removed the binding in UI for the space bar to re centre VR view, and space bar is working to move on the tutorials now.

I guess I must have added that myself when I was trying out the VR headset.

Thanks

• Like 1