Engine stops for no apparent reason

jfri

I frequently encounter a problem that the engine stops. When I look around the cockpit all controls and gauges seem correctly set. It happened during the tutorial take off and other tutorials also like ground attack. It happens again and again. Restarting DCS does not help. It happened during a instant action take off for which a track is attached

tempMission.miz.trk

Try turn on Fuel booster, i can see that is in off position,

You haven't check fuel pressure gauge apparently (fuel pressure check is basic thing in petrol engines driven planes).No fuel pressure from begging.\

I haven't look but you should check fuel shut valve too.

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Try turn on Fuel booster, i can see that is in off position,

You haven't check fuel pressure gauge apparently (fuel pressure check is basic thing in petrol engines driven planes).No fuel pressure from begging.\

I haven't look but you should check fuel shut valve too.

Yes that seem to help. But in a way I had fuel booster on. It is assigned to a button on my TM Hotas and that switch was set to on and if things works correctly this should have been detected and set the fuel booster to on at start of flight

Yes that seem to help. But in a way I had fuel booster on. It is assigned to a button on my TM Hotas and that switch was set to on and if things works correctly this should have been detected and set the fuel booster to on at start of flight

In options there is feature to sync controls which will act like you said, but be prepared for insta gear rising up if you have gear handle assigned to hotas switch too(left in wrong position :)).

As default, this will set all switches in default manner, so you have to re switch all switches to start working same, with throttle or any other axis.

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

In options there is feature to sync controls which will act like you said, but be prepared for insta gear rising up if you have gear handle assigned to hotas switch too(left in wrong position :)).

As default, this will set all switches in default manner, so you have to re switch all switches to start working same, with throttle or any other axis.

And I do have that feature enabled. My gear up is not assigned to a two way switch but to lever+a button on the throttle

And I do have that feature enabled. My gear up is not assigned to a two way switch but to lever+a button on the throttle

So, in that case i smell small bug here :)

For me looks like hot start issue, because p-51 can run with fuel booster off but, fuel system must be pressurized with fuel booster before start up. So there is an issue with hot start here i think.

I bet once you hit booster for a couple seconds and turn it off engine runs ok as long as you dont do any neutral or negative g maneuvers.

Edited by grafspee

So, in that case i smell small bug here :)

For me looks like hot start issue, because p-51 can run with fuel booster off but, fuel system must be pressurized with fuel booster before start up. So there is an issue with hot start here i think.

I bet once you hit booster for a couple seconds and turn it off engine runs ok as long as you dont do any neutral or negative g maneuvers.

I changed the fuel booster assignment from only fuel booster to fuel booster on and now if that set to on it will be on in flight. But why can't DCS handle two way switches ? I can't assign fuel booster off to the off position of the switch. Setting it from on to off is not even registered as a button pressed

Probably because the "two-way" switches on Warthog throttle (I presume you tried to use one of these?) are not two-way at all. Flipping them up turns the signal on, but flipping them down is not recognized as separate command but only turns signal off. You need a switch which sends separate signal to assign it to "booster pump off". For example one of the "three-way" switches on that throttle unit, which are two-way in reality for the same reason.

I suppose you could write a script in TARGET software, which would emulate the function you need even on these "two-way" switches, but I've never used it, so I can't offer advice.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

I changed the fuel booster assignment from only fuel booster to fuel booster on and now if that set to on it will be on in flight. But why can't DCS handle two way switches ? I can't assign fuel booster off to the off position of the switch. Setting it from on to off is not even registered as a button pressed

That's one of about a dozen 2-position switches ED does not provide. I created the fuel booster switch by adding this line to "default.lua":

{down = device_commands.Button_12, up = device_commands.Button_12, cockpit_device_id = devices.ENGINE_CONTROL_PANEL, value_down = 1.0, value_up = 0.0, name = _('Fuel Booster 2-Pos ON/OFF'), category = _('Engine Control Panel')},

If you are interested I can post the other 2-position switch commands too.

You could, for example, bind this command to the switch "ENG FUEL FLOW R" on the throttle module.

Edited by LeCuvier

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

Probably because the "two-way" switches on Warthog throttle (I presume you tried to use one of these?) are not two-way at all. Flipping them up turns the signal on, but flipping them down is not recognized as separate command but only turns signal off. You need a switch which sends separate signal to assign it to "booster pump off". For example one of the "three-way" switches on that throttle unit, which are two-way in reality for the same reason.

I suppose you could write a script in TARGET software, which would emulate the function you need even on these "two-way" switches, but I've never used it, so I can't offer advice.

@Art-J: What you state here could be misleading for some people. In fact, the 2-position switches on the TM WH throttle do provide 2 signals. When you switch them to ON their contact closes, and when you switch them to OFF the contact opens. These are two distinct signals which DCS can recognize. Unfortunately, ED has in many cases omitted to provide commands that evaluate both the ON and the OFF signal. In the "default.lua", the "ON" signal is evaluated as "down" event and the "OFF" command as "up" event. In the newer modules, ED tends to provide the commands for 2-position switches under the category "Special for Joystick". In the older modules they tend to be missing. I have added the missing commands in many cases and they work perfectly.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

^ You're right, I should've worded it better.

I whish command functionality was standardized better between modules. I understand there might be different philosophies between 3rd parties and ED in this regard, but the differences between ED-developed modules themselves are sometimes quite annoying.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.