Tanker Lights

TheBigTatanka

I can tell ya from experience...the lights aren't much better in real life. Use visual references and fly position on the tanker...

• Like 3

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

TBT,

Searched high and low for a LUA file that controls the Director Lights. No joy. Does anyone know which LUA file(s) control boom operation? The DDS file for the Director Lights, (which I found), does not appear to include the individual red/green/yellow bulbs that illuminate as far as I could see. I would not be surprised if many lighting effects like the meatball, VASI, nav lights, etc use the same colored effects object. That would potentially mean change it and it affects all light effects for all those systems as well. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Cheers,

I don't need no stinkin' GPS! (except for PGMs :D) :pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sierra,

It's a 6K hour fighter guy asking me to figure out a way to turn up the lights. I was a tanker driver, and I remember them being brighter too.

Anyway, some advice on how to mod the effect would be appreciated.

Ha Ha Yes ! Thank you those with real world experience chiming in. I wish there was more input with the Harrier like this.

Sierra,

It's a 6K hour fighter guy asking me to figure out a way to turn up the lights. I was a tanker driver, and I remember them being brighter too.

Anyway, some advice on how to mod the effect would be appreciated.

And as the BOOM OPERATOR "I'm telling ya the lights are all they way up Sir"!

( I KNOW he's heard a boom say that before...:music_whistling:)

I did not mean for my previous post to sound dismissive...I've sat through quite a few Receiver ARs myself. MY recollection of the PDI lights was "They could always be a little brighter during the day" but ya lived with what ya got. But to be honest, the PDI lights are just one of a host of issues with Tanker AR that make it a challenge at best.

First, The Boom Operator is a new guy on his first solo sortie after getting Mission Qual'd and hes terrified...he WILL NOT reach out and get you to make a contact...You HAVE to find that perfect spot before he'll make a contact.

Second, there are important Visual references on the Tanker that are missing or wrong. The White Line on the Bottom of the nose you line up with an Antenna is not there...

The Boom is trailed at 30 degrees as you approach Pre-Contact...And then Suddenly pops up to about 25 or so as you get close...

A big one is the PDI Lights should not be ON until AFTER Contact. It's confusing to be closing to contact position and as the boom moves up or down to line up with the receptacle you get a "Fly Up/Down " light.

So that's why I said the easiest thing to do right now is fly good position, let the AI Boom flail around till he find the spot and you'll get gas...

NKAW10G....Nobody.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/18/2022 at 9:59 PM, Shrike88 said:

evidently they are modeled as textures not as actual LIGHTS in DCS. So we need to find someone with some Photoshop magic to either edit the masks, or edit the texture mats so they are resilient to shadows. 

You referencing this?

null

image.jpeg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

They are made lights in 3ds max. Editing them in (add photo software of choice here) will not do anything....

Maybe if there is a JSON file.

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

7 minutes ago, joey45 said:

They are made lights in 3ds max. Editing them in (add photo software of choice here) will not do anything....

Maybe if there is a JSON file.

There is a JSON file Joey. I'll play around with these values and see what impact they have.

null

image.png

• Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

yes - it is a low polygon model at the interesting place. Flat poly. It is not a real light.

wow, - old lockon code model?

Maybe more contrast will help. here is an attempt, but not tried yet.

or a nomal  dds will help: simulate LEDs 😉

test.jpg

Edited by Mapi

18 hours ago, Mapi said:

yes - it is a low polygon model at the interesting place. Flat poly. It is not a real light.

wow, - old lockon code model?

Maybe more contrast will help. here is an attempt, but not tried yet.

or a nomal  dds will help: simulate LEDs 😉

test.jpg

Great idea Mapi!  The 21st Century LED Director Lights by Cree ... 😉

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

+1, they are poor visible in VR too.

On 1/20/2023 at 5:35 PM, Backy 51 said:

There is a JSON file Joey. I'll play around with these values and see what impact they have.

null

image.png

And?

• Like 1

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

3 hours ago, Backy 51 said:

No luck on the edit ... 

Yes, I tested it yesterday and there is no difference, especially since this entry refers to this texture and may cause it to display incorrectly:

{"kc_135_elements_illum",    DIFFUSE            ,    "kc_135_elements", false};
    {"kc_135_elements_illum",    SELF_ILLUMINATION    ,    "kc_135_elements", false};

But I think I've partially solved the problem. It's not lights, it's texture. I'll test it again and let you know if it's ok.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Done: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3332394/ .

K8Gpixmm.jpg

However, what I said can only be combined with textures. The mod consists in more expressive colors and a darker background (also with lights), which makes the position better visible (especially recommended for VR users).

gpLsQ2N.jpg

EFLbEZG.jpg

• Thanks 7

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

On 8/1/2023 at 11:05 AM, YoYo said:

Done: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3332394/ .

K8Gpixmm.jpg

However, what I said can only be combined with textures. The mod consists in more expressive colors and a darker background (also with lights), which makes the position better visible (especially recommended for VR users).

gpLsQ2N.jpg

EFLbEZG.jpg

Great job YoYo!

• Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]