Reminder to Clear Down Multiplayer Track Files

MeerCaT

UPDATE: As an alternative (or in addition) to the following, we can simply disable the recording of multiplayer tracks (the files still get created but are mostly negligible in size, due to not containing any 'history' of what actually happened). See post 5 below.

First off, for anyone who doesn't already know, while playing in DCS Multiplayer online it records a 'track' of every session. These files are save somewhere within your Windows user profile directory (E.g. "C:\Users\<username>\Saved Games\DCS<.openbeta>\Tracks\Multiplayer")

Even over a short time these files can easily mount up to gigabytes of storage.

I'm not actually sure if they ever 'expire' and get cleared down automatically by DCS at any time but in my limited experience it seems not.

Therefore it's probably a good idea to a bit of manual tidy up in this folder once in a while.

I'm never going to remember to bother doing that, so what I recently did was set myself a 'reminder' using Windows "Task Scheduler".

May seem like slight overkill to some, but for anyone interested in doing the same and not already familiar with Task Scheduler here's an example of what I've done.

You're all clever people and can figure it out but in simple steps (applicable to Windows 7, can't vouch for any other versions):

• Open "Task Scheduler" (Windows search for "Task" or "Sched")
  • Task Scheduler
    • Actions -> "Create Basic Task..."

[*]Create a Basic Task

• Name: Reminder-DCS-MPTracks-ClearDown
    • Desc: A reminder to clear down the DCS Multiplayer Tracks folder.
    • Click [Next]

[*]Task Trigger

• [select desired interval (daily, weekly etc.)]
    • Click [Next]

[*]Daily / Weekly ...

• [Configure the recurrence as desired]
    • Click [Next]

[*]Action

• Select "Start a program"
    • Click [Next]

[*]Start a program

• Program/script: %windir%\explorer.exe
    • Add arguments: "C:\Users\<username>\Saved Games\DCS<.openbeta>\Tracks\Multiplayer"
    • Click [Next]

[*]Click [Finish]

You can test it out straight away by right-clicking your new scheduled task and "Run".

It should simply open a new Windows Explorer window in the folder configured above (i.e. your DCS multiplayer tracks folder).

I provide no guarantee that it wont cause the world around you to implode, but it seems to be working ok for me.

Edited by MeerCaT

Thanks, that's an excellent option!

So to disable the MP track recording:

• Edit file (create if necessary):
    • C:\Users\<username>\Saved Games\DCS\Config\autoexec.cfg

[*]Add to end of file:

• disable_write_track = true

Or just do it manually once in a while? Works like a charm for me :smilewink:

Good post though for those who look for other ways...

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

Or just do it manually once in a while? Works like a charm for me :smilewink:

Good post though for those who look for other ways...

"..as it stops some stutters in game and also will allow the game to close instead of waiting."

Intel i9-9900K 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080tiftw3, Windows 10, 1tb 970 M2, TM Warthog, 4k 144hz HDR g-sync.