AV8-B Trimming

Kentvilla

Does anybody else have an issue with Trimming the Harrier. I don't have a trimming wheel on my Joystick or Throttle so have to use two buttons on the throttle for up and down and two buttons on the keyboard for left and right. But I seem to be constantly trimming. I have watched you tube videos of mission people are flying in their harrier and the seem to fly very smoothly and straight even when banking or turning. mine goes all over the place.

Like when I run into a target after banking I spend most of time trimming then once trimmed im right on top of the target so have to go round again. Same when trying to land.

Is there a secret to trimming or is it just practice? I have the thrustmaster t-flight hotas x. Or does anybody have any ideas how to assign the buttons better on it??

You need to trim when your speed changes, or your weight (e.g. when refueling, or dropping ordnance).

Other than that it should not be necessary.

You can also use autopilot ON, then OFF for a quick auto-trim

Zip - VEAF :pilotfly:

If you want to learn, talk and fly with french-speaking friends, the Virtual European Air Force is here for you ! Meet us on our Discord and our forum

If you're a mission creator, you may want to check the VEAF Mission Creation Tools (and its GitHub repository) a set of open-source scripts and tools that make creating a dynamic mission a breeze !

Does anybody else have an issue with Trimming the Harrier. I don't have a trimming wheel on my Joystick or Throttle so have to use two buttons on the throttle for up and down and two buttons on the keyboard for left and right. But I seem to be constantly trimming. I have watched you tube videos of mission people are flying in their harrier and the seem to fly very smoothly and straight even when banking or turning. mine goes all over the place.

Like when I run into a target after banking I spend most of time trimming then once trimmed im right on top of the target so have to go round again. Same when trying to land.

Is there a secret to trimming or is it just practice? I have the thrustmaster t-flight hotas x. Or does anybody have any ideas how to assign the buttons better on it??

I constantly have to trim as well. I am not sure if it is suppose to be, but in some a video of the Spanish version, it seems to be trimming constantly

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3713210&postcount=27

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

It's very rare for a (modern) military aircraft to have a trim wheel as means of trimming the aircraft. So mapping it to buttons is the correct way in that sense.

Having it on an easily accessible place, like a HAT switch makes life easier.

My pointers would be:

Don't trim the roll, unless you've got an assymetric load, or if the weather/wind/turbulence is messing with that part of the stability of the aircraft. Generally I don't have to trim the roll of the Harrier.

Also, don't trim -while- maneuvering. If you're in the combat area, flying nice and stable, looking for your target(s) and you initiate an attack run, initiate, roll onto the target, and thén trim your pitch. In that way only a very small amount of trim will be required, as you were stable beforehand, and there won't be a massive difference to your speed after initiating.

Off course this all goes in conjunction with your throttle/speed.

What it sounds like to me is you're overtrimming.

Try this: take-off in a clean Harrier, and trim (only up-down) to a stable flight. And then, make some light turns, without touching the trim at all during the turns. Try tighter turns, try doing attack runs, while only using minimal pitch trim.

I find the Harrier one of the easiest aircraft to fly in this respect, practice makes perfect :)

• 5 months later...

How To Trim The AV-8B:

Double tap the "A" (auto pilot mode) button. Preferably while flying straight and level. The "A" button seems to reset the attitude to neutral according to present aircraft attitude (and speed). Although, the latter method works at other attitudes as well if the aircraft is balanced with ordnance and fuel.This is the method I use if I have mapped my POV hat to cockpit (pan) views. Otherwise map the POV to trim as others have stated if using Track IR, etc.

Edited by Emra