Oculus Rift S With DCS World Discussion

Wags

Dropped the hammer. Now, best question of the day: can the CV1 lenses inserts fit on the Rift S? Being blind as a bat here and I have prescription lenses for mine...think they will fit?
I don't know, but my glasses that i can't use in the cv1, now enter inside the rift s. Maybe you can use directly your glasses.

Inviato dal mio Mi MIX 2 utilizzando Tapatalk

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SO is it worth upgrading from the Rift to S?

After my first day with the Rift-S I wasn't so sure. But now, with a few more days under my belt and that I have found a set of good headphones that fit over the halo (my Bose Quiet Comforts just fit and sound great) and I have seen how well this really works on my second gaming rig, I have to say that YES, it is a worthwhile upgrade.

If I can make a few bucks selling off my old CV1 setup, so much the better.

I will say also, that this Rift-S has really got me excited about the Index in a few months although I think that will require me to upgrade to a 2080Ti to maximize performance.

Madmatt

A-10C, AV-8B, F-16C, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, UH-1H, FC3, CA, WWII, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf

Gaming Rig: I7 7700k @5GHz, Corsair H115i Water Cooling, 32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600MHz DDR4 SDRAM, Aorus GeForce GTX 1080Ti, 2 x Samsung 960 Pro M.2 1TB NVMe SSD's, Warthog HOTAS w/ Slew mod, MFG Crosswind Pedals, 2 x TM Cougar MFD's, Oculus Rift-S, TrackIR 5, Asus ROG PG3480 34" GSync Monitor @3440x1440-100Hz, Asus 27" Monitor @1920x1080-144Hz, Windows 10 x64

Dropped the hammer. Now, best question of the day: can the CV1 lenses inserts fit on the Rift S? Being blind as a bat here and I have prescription lenses for mine...think they will fit?

Nope, not compatible AFAIK, though as others have said, it's easier to fit regular glasses inside Rift S.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Nope, not compatible AFAIK, though as others have said, it's easier to fit regular glasses inside Rift S.

Why I ordered the VR Lens goggles. It's on my face so I can move from one HMD to another. Not as convenient, but I figured it was worth it.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I got my Rift S Friday, and played DCS and other sims/cockpit games until about an hour ago, with about 5 hours sleep total. Fell into the Rift S hole...

Other than the Xtal, I've run many of the VR HMDs out there. Several Rifts, Vives, Odyssey, Odyssey+s, a Vive Pro, and a Pimax 5k. I was very surprised to find that the Rift S was superior IMO to the Odyssey+. It's just a better experience and the graphics/screen is more clear, period. I tried every combination of PD/settings I've used over the years, and the Rift S in every case IMO was better than the Odyssey+. I find the experience a lot less of a PITA than the Pimax5k has been, and other than FOV, the Rift S is IMO in the running (or better in some cases) than my Pimax experience.

Sniper175 was correct - the Rift S is better than the Odyssey+, something I absolutely did NOT expect.

Odyssey+ both go up for sale on Monday, I'll either pick up another Rift S to fill that gap, or hopefully get a Reverb if they come out in the next week or two.

Rift S is easily worth the $, and for new adopters, right now it isn't even in question IMO that the Rift S is the HMD to buy for DCS/sims.

The sound is a negative, so I'm told - after years of gunfire and explosive entries/etc, my hearing is at best 50% of what it should be, so I'm a poor judge of this.

Edited by Gman109

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1

I got my Rift S Friday, and played DCS and other sims/cockpit games until about an hour ago, with about 5 hours sleep total. Fell into the Rift S hole...

Other than the Xtal, I've run many of the VR HMDs out there. Several Rifts, Vives, Odyssey, Odyssey+s, a Vive Pro, and a Pimax 5k. I was very surprised to find that the Rift S was superior IMO to the Odyssey+. It's just a better experience and the graphics/screen is more clear, period. I tried every combination of PD/settings I've used over the years, and the Rift S in every case IMO was better than the Odyssey+. I find the experience a lot less of a PITA than the Pimax5k has been, and other than FOV, the Rift S is IMO in the running (or better in some cases) than my Pimax experience.

Sniper175 was correct - the Rift S is better than the Odyssey+, something I absolutely did NOT expect.

Odyssey+ both go up for sale on Monday, I'll either pick up another Rift S to fill that gap, or hopefully get a Reverb if they come out in the next week or two.

Rift S is easily worth the $, and for new adopters, right now it isn't even in question IMO that the Rift S is the HMD to buy for DCS/sims.

I'm really interested in how it compares to the 5K. How's the cockpit clarity? Outside view clarity and colours/contrast?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

64th "Scorpions" Aggressor Squadron

Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron

TS: 195.201.110.22

Sounds good actually as I have an odyssey now which I have very much got used to the higher resolution. But this sounds like the lenses must be better. I really like the colors in the odyssey compared to my CV1. They seemed much more vibrant.

Are the rift S colors similar?

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Sounds good actually as I have an odyssey now which I have very much got used to the higher resolution. But this sounds like the lenses must be better. I really like the colors in the odyssey compared to my CV1. They seemed much more vibrant.

Are the rift S colors similar?

rift s is much more vibrant compared to cv1. I’d say almost as vibrant as odyssey +

I7-8700 @5GHZ, 32GB 3000MHZ RAM, 1080TI, Rift S, ODYSSEY +. SSD DRIVES, WIN10

Yes, you can use them, but there is no easy way to hold them in place. The lens dimensions are identical, but the points where my lenses were held into the CV1 are no longer close in enough to hold them in the S. You can find ways around that though with a little ingenuity.

As an alternative, it is much easier to wear your glasses inside the S version than the CV1.

I'm really interested in how it compares to the 5K. How's the cockpit clarity? Outside view clarity and colours/contrast?

Better, at worst on par with some.

But it's got none of the weird latency, and lens barrel distortion that is permeating the pimax sets.

This is two things so annoying with the 5k I find it honestly disgusting.

Even for basic games like beat saber I can't really stomach the pimax for more than a few minutes.

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

I own both headsets and I would say that image quality (sharpness, colours, black-level, contrast) of both is about the same. Big advantage of the Rift S is, that performance in DCS is much better, so that I was able to increase following settings in game in comparison to the 5K+:

- visibility from medium to high

- landscape shadows from off to flat

- MSAA from off to 2x

- PD from 1.0 to 1.5

with those improved settings overall picture quality in DCS is much better with the Rift S. Sharpness is bit better and much less flickering of textures. And I`m still able to maintain 40 fps stable in most cases.

SDE is a little less visible in the Rift S compared to the 5K+ and much better than compared to the old Rift.

I am very satisfied with the Rift S and will use it for the moment. 5K+ get`s another try when the promised performance improvements of DCS are implemented.

Edited by ram0506

I7 6700K, Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, EVGA GTX1080Ti SC, 32GB DDR4 @ 3000, Win10 64, BenQ EW3270ZL 2560x1440, VPC WarBRD Base + TM Warthog Grip, TM Warthog Throttle, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals, Oculus Rift S

This is the latency issue I'm referring too.

Took me a while to put my finger it but this is what ruins the immersion in the 5k.

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

Hi guys, need help.

After the first days of joyful rift s use, now i have heavy fogging problems, both on my glasses lenses and rift lenses. How can i solve that? I dislike use anti-fog liquid on rift lenses....

It may sound weird, but when you put the headset on from the front (since you wearing glasses), do you by any chance exhale through the nose into the headset? That may cause fogging.

Hi guys, need help.

After the first days of joyful rift s use, now i have heavy fogging problems, both on my glasses lenses and rift lenses. How can i solve that? I dislike use anti-fog liquid on rift lenses....

I removed the nose pad of the headset to be able to look at the keyboard while wearing the headset. I think that helps also to bring some fresh air under the headset and to avoid fogging.

I7 6700K, Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, EVGA GTX1080Ti SC, 32GB DDR4 @ 3000, Win10 64, BenQ EW3270ZL 2560x1440, VPC WarBRD Base + TM Warthog Grip, TM Warthog Throttle, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals, Oculus Rift S

It may sound weird, but when you put the headset on from the front (since you wearing glasses), do you by any chance exhale through the nose into the headset? That may cause fogging.

Maybe, I honestly didn't notice... but at the start it's clear, fog build up after 5/10 minutes of use.... I will try

I removed the nose part of the headset to be able to look at the keyboard while wearing the headset. I think that helps also to bring some fresh air under the headset and to avoid fogging.

Ok, i will also try this, thanks!

I got the Rift S a couple of days ago and mine has been exhibiting the blackouts quite often. You put the headset on and nothing displays at all. Have been through many fixes and, repairing software and turning off USB power management. When my Rift S decides to stop working....and this happens every time I turn my PC on.....I fix it by doing this.

Unplug Rift S USB 3.0 cable and graphics card connector.

Wait 20 seconds.

Plug Rift S USB 3.0 back into the same USB port.

Wait 20 seconds.

Plug Rift S graphics connector into graphics card.

Rift then works.

Frankly, I am very frustrated that I need to do this every time I want to use my Rift S. When it works, yep, it is a pleasant upgrade, but this situation is unsatisfactory and I hope they fix it.

Other points are that, thanks to the halo design it does feel a bit warmer to wear for long periods..I have steel series headphones on over the top...it ends up covering a lot of your head which, for me has made it hotter to wear than CV1.

Also, the sweet spot of clarity totally eliminates the nose gap. I never realised how much I used the nose gap in CV1 Rift to use my keyboard. Trouble is to see the keyboard I now need to unscrew the halo headband, lift headset and use keyboard. It’s a bit of a faff. Other than that you can, for some simple key presses obviously use your keyboard by ‘feel’.

I got the Rift S a couple of days ago and mine has been exhibiting the blackouts quite often. You put the headset on and nothing displays at all. Have been through many fixes and, repairing software and turning off USB power management. When my Rift S decides to stop working....and this happens every time I turn my PC on.....I fix it by doing this.

Unplug Rift S USB 3.0 cable and graphics card connector.

Wait 20 seconds.

Plug Rift S USB 3.0 back into the same USB port.

Wait 20 seconds.

Plug Rift S graphics connector into graphics card.

Rift then works.

Frankly, I am very frustrated that I need to do this every time I want to use my Rift S. When it works, yep, it is a pleasant upgrade, but this situation is unsatisfactory and I hope they fix it.

Other points are that, thanks to the halo design it does feel a bit warmer to wear for long periods..I have steel series headphones on over the top...it ends up covering a lot of your head which, for me has made it hotter to wear than CV1.

Also, the sweet spot of clarity totally eliminates the nose gap. I never realised how much I used the nose gap in CV1 Rift to use my keyboard. Trouble is to see the keyboard I now need to unscrew the halo headband, lift headset and use keyboard. It’s a bit of a faff. Other than that you can, for some simple key presses obviously use your keyboard by ‘feel’.

You can remove the noseinsert on the S. Then You have the same gape is on the CV1.

Hi guys, need help.

a fan blowing on your face is an essential add-on for VR

It works, just like with DCS.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro