Hornet radar help - losing lock in BVR fight?

po2

Been having a frustrating experience with the hornet lately... here's a video of my last encounter:

https://streamable.com/1baij

It looks like right before the missile goes active my radar lost lock and then switched to a target 50 miles away. I never went brought the gimbal further than 65 degrees off... Needless to say I lost that fight. Am I doing something wrong here or is this just the hornet being buggy?

What I see is MEM flashing on your radar display, before the switch occurs (I think, I'm on my phone and the video only opens in low res).

That means that the radar briefly lost the target and tried to reacquire it by scanning a volume around the target's extrapolated position.

What happened here seems to be that the radar locked onto another target that happened to be on a similar azimuth at the time, but at a completely different distance. And if I understand the memory function correctly, that's odd indeed. I could be missing something though. Save a track and submit a bug report if it happens again.

Also, your radar always scans to its max range, the range option is only relevant to the display of information.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

What I see is MEM flashing on your radar display, before the switch occurs (I think, I'm on my phone and the video only opens in low res).

That means that the radar briefly lost the target and tried to reacquire it by scanning a volume around the target's extrapolated position.

What happened here seems to be that the radar locked onto another target that happened to be on a similar azimuth at the time, but at a completely different distance. And if I understand the memory function correctly, that's odd indeed. I could be missing something though. Save a track and submit a bug report if it happens again.

Also, your radar always scans to its max range, the range option is only relevant to the display of information.

I figured that’s what happened. I guess I’m just overly perplexed at the odds of this. I can’t see why the radar lost lock in the first place considering the bandit was above me and coming in very hot. Could I have been throwing the plane around too hard?

As for it picking up someone else — It was a busy day on the server, so probably not crazy there happened to be a guy behind him. But 40 miles behind? The MEM function should be able to look for the target at the correct distance too, right? Obviously the guy 50 miles away is not the guy I just fox3’d on...

I’ve been finding the Hornet radar very awkward when it comes to acquiring a lock, but this is the first time it failed me in a life-or-death scenario. I know ED is trying to simulate a realistic, non-perfect radar compared to the FC3 planes but I can’t really tell if stuff like this is a bug for a feature for that reason.

It could very well be that the radar missed the target for a couple of updates and entered MEM mode for a second and then locked the other one.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

I love the way ED is going in term of realism, and I don't know if this is a bug (seems so) or a feature. But I would like to point out that at some point ED will need to move all the radar logic from the hornet to FC3 fighters, keeping of course the simplicity.

But sometimes I have the impression that FC3 planes have AESA radars that instantly see targets when compared to the hornet radar (Not in the sense of detection/lock range because the hornet is very good in this regards, but in the sense of doing 180 degress and back, in this scenarios FC3 almost instantly detect all targets when compared to the Hornet, which give them an upper hand in SA and killing potential.

Sorry for the Off topic thought, but i wanted to share it.

But I would like to point out that at some point ED will need to move all the radar logic from the hornet to FC3 fighters, keeping of course the simplicity.

I can see why players would want that (especially for MP balance), but I'm not sure there's much of a reason for ED to do that. They can't ask everyone to pay again / extra for FC3 in order to pay for engineers to do it, and there's nothing broken about the modules, they're just lower fidelity simulations (which is what FC3 is meant to be anyway).