Simpit Ka-50 from Razorback

Hello Guys,

I am living in Belgium and since Aug 2007 I am building a Ka-50 simpit.

I have posted some pictures on a french LockOn forum and today I have also started with this DCS forum.

Anyway, My simpit will normally be finished in few weeks. I tried to have a realistic cockpit but most of the switches in my simpit are not effective.

I use 2 X-key to give command to my plane/helicopter. (I am really a bad electrician !!;))

I want still to play with the SU-25T of FC than my simpit must have a normal power throttle (X-52 Pro) for my plane but also an helicopter collective lever fur my future Ka-50. (some pictures soon).

Today I join some pictures of my simpit. I you have some questions...

Have a nice fly !:pilotfly:

Razorback

1189446814_06_18octobre(4).thumb.JPG.0edcc354ee0623afbcdef17cd533851a.JPG

705880827_09_18novembre(5).thumb.JPG.96120436945277bc863cadf2ad358ff0.JPG

504197351_13_21dcembre(2).JPG.b55856aaf1d60d346aed18e01eef8a7b.JPG

• Like 1

Hi Razorback, very nice set up. I think u are the only one that has the most complete KA-50 pit.

do u know how to accurately translate the russian letters into english? or at least i'm guessing u know what the switches' letters mean ?

i can only think of using some google tools, then get some russian members in the forum to double check, if they dont mind, it's quite a list. i'm also planning to build the KA-50 pit but would like (accurate) english text on the panels instead. it won't look as authentic but is more practical for me to be able to tell what each switch does by reading the english letters.

Iam also interested building pit, but how about costs and all this instrumental AOA, ShkvalTV, various others cocpit intrumentals will be expensive i guess :C

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

Iam also interested building pit, but how about costs and all this instrumental AOA, ShkvalTV, various others cocpit intrumentals will be expensive i guess :C

If you have the "urge" for pitbuilding you should just go ahead and start mate..! We always welcome one more mind in this community.. :pilotfly:

As far as instruments go, you can go several different ways.!

1. Build them yourself..! It's really not THAT complcated to make the simple gauges (like temperature, fuel, RPM and so on). And you can control them with standard servomotors like in a model airplane?

Here's a picture of the mechanics I have designed for the small 60mm Gauges:

210257855_instrument60mmfacepic01.thumb.jpg.db36d58663ace5ec979e0915d26300cd.jpg 1494944567_instrument60mmfacepic02.thumb.jpg.88cfe7770def069e8fbb9568f7f0b78e.jpg

2. you can use software and a second Pc to project the Gauges on a (or two) monitor(s). Software like "Simmeters" (www.simmeters.com) , "LockOn Virtuell Panel" (Freeware software) , and "Gauge Composer" are ready and available for all. The software from Simmeters is not free though, but they seem to turn out new gauges real quick when needed. So send them an e-mail and ask..!? "LOVP" and "Gauge Composer" does require some drawing and interface programming, but not more than anyone can master after reading the manuals. (my guess is that if you hold out a while, someone is going to do the work of drawing the KA-50 Gauge Faces anyway)

3. You can buy gauges from a manufacturer of flightsim gauges.! Or actually you CAN'T.. because none of them has shown much interest in adapting theyr product for LockOn yet, so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for them to notice DCS (Why this is has always been an enigma for me?)

.. As far as the rest goes, I guess we just have to wait and se what ED provides us with when they release BlackShark..!:music_whistling:

"But (504)Brewber said they were'nt friendly.. So I took'em out.!"

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hello Guys,

Anyway, My simpit will normally be finished in few weeks. I tried to have a realistic cockpit but most of the switches in my simpit are not effective.

I use 2 X-key to give command to my plane/helicopter. (I am really a bad electrician !!;))

Razorback

:music_whistling:... If you do my cockpit building for me of this standard.. I sure has H..ll will not mind doing the solderiing in yours..!

"But (504)Brewber said they were'nt friendly.. So I took'em out.!"

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hello simpiters,

First thanks a lot for your remarks, I appreciate :)

For Boberro : My ABRIS and TV shvalk are not effective. The Shkval screen are coming from an old portable DVD device and the ABRIS is hand made.

I have ordered most of the switches in a hudge french shop by internet. I don't want to pay too much for my simpit, that's why i haven't choosen for IO cards and so on...

For Roketeer : I have written all my switches letters in cyrillic like the real Ka-50. As you know my switches are not effective. I have a lot of pictures of the real Ka-50 cockpit than it's easier. If you know the command of the switches you can directly translate it to English (One of the latest BS video could help you ?). Maybe you can also take a contact on the russian forum to ask some help ! There are many "comrads" there ! ;)

For Wassefall : Some switches are indeed effective, they turn ON/OFF some lights and LEDs in my simpit like the Weapons Ctrl board, Gear lever,...)

Have a good WE

Regards,

Razorback

944716213_10_23novembre(1).thumb.JPG.d63ecbe3b01b3a60ab73577a506ac754.JPG

1594105453_10_23novembre(2).thumb.JPG.9fb8b377bb93a82748d8737fc30fe0e5.JPG

1046881897_13_21dcembre(5).JPG.43f27952a8623571ca0b64a3a2f13519.JPG

Hi Razor, greetings from a position about 50 miles north-east of you. Very nice pit you have there. Got a question for you. Are you by any chance using the X-keys on a Vista machine ? I'm trying to use X-keys with MacroworksII on my computer, but I'm seeing strange keypresses being generated when I check them with sticktest. For instance : shift-home get preceeded and followed by Num-lock-down and num-lock-up. Shift-L doesn't work well either : it shows shift-down, L-up, L-down, shift-up. Greetings from Limburg.

i7 6700k/GTX1070-8G/MSI-Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon/32GB DDR4 Kingston HyperX PREDATOR DDR4 3000MHZ Vengeance 1600/TM Warthog #6106/Samsung SB350_S27B350H/OCZ Agility3 SSD 128GB / Win10-64/TIR5

Hi Razor, greetings from a position about 50 miles north-east of you. Very nice pit you have there. Got a question for you. Are you by any chance using the X-keys on a Vista machine ? I'm trying to use X-keys with MacroworksII on my computer, but I'm seeing strange keypresses being generated when I check them with sticktest. For instance : shift-home get preceeded and followed by Num-lock-down and num-lock-up. Shift-L doesn't work well either : it shows shift-down, L-up, L-down, shift-up. Greetings from Limburg.

Hi Bengo,

Youpeeee, I am not the only Belgian guy on this forum ! So you must be Flemish and I am coming from Brussels but for our friends we will keep on talking English.

Don't worry about your X-key, I have the same problems (Windows XP). In fact I have two X-key models : The X-Key 20 Desktop and the X-key Button Panel (24).

The X-key 20 Desktop is working perfectly but I have had some problems during the configuration of my X-Key Button Panel (Macroworks II).

I have now resolved this problem, in fact I use my X-Key button Panel for single command (I, E, F1, 7, etc...) and my X-key 20 Desktop for the combination of commands (Alt-E, Ctrl-space, Ctrl-=, etc...). This combination of commands makes trouble only on my X-Key button panel and I don't know why ?

That's all I can tell you about the programmation of the X-key. I don't know why we have some problems with Macroworks II (With Vista and Windows XP).

Greetings from Brussels,

Razorback

PS : Ik woon bij Waver in Waals Brabant.;)

Hey Razor,

thanks for your reply. Something is definately wrong with MacroworksII then. I've set them a message through the PI-Engineering site about this, some two weeks ago, but not got reply.

I'll sent my findings to them again, but this time through e-mail. Would you please do that also, so they know for sure something is wrong.

I'm running an X-keys matrix board by the way.

Give my regards to the orange kangaroo :thumbup:

Cheers

PS : I'm from Beringen

i7 6700k/GTX1070-8G/MSI-Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon/32GB DDR4 Kingston HyperX PREDATOR DDR4 3000MHZ Vengeance 1600/TM Warthog #6106/Samsung SB350_S27B350H/OCZ Agility3 SSD 128GB / Win10-64/TIR5

I am still waiting the windscreen from my carpenter (1 month) Grrrrr:mad:

I have done the configuration of my 2 X-keys model.(You know that I am a very bad electrician or electronician than the IO-Cards and so one are not for me !)

Here are two pictures of my X-key.

Some commands are made for the SU-25T. There are still 14 free command. I am waiting BS to configurate them.

These 2 X-Keys will be placed above the windscreen and will replaced some boxes of the real KA-50. I have just to place some switches in order to have a good resemblance with the real Ka-50

Razorback

1486554942_X-key20.thumb.jpg.d8404d51e12ab0b75001ab96ceeab6c5.jpg

753500477_X-KeyButtonPanel.thumb.jpg.b69ffb1f0b73c895266dc802214a756f.jpg

• Like 1

Hey,

wrote the e-mail yesterday and already got an e-mail back.

In order to make a 'shift' command work, you need to split up the command completely :

First create an "on release"-section for that button/switch, by clicking the specific button clicking the specific button on MacroworksII-screen and clicking 'On release' on the 'Insert'-pulldown. Set the cursor in the top window, press and release the shift-key, click 'Key down' in the 'Insert'-pulldown, now press and release the lettre (A to Z), followed by another 'Key down' from the 'Insert'-pulldown.

In the bottom window, do the opposite : keypress (A-Z), 'Key up', shift, 'key up'.

Et voila...ça marche.

A lot of work for a simple thing, but at least it works.

And I'm not a good electrician either, but hooking up the matrix board isn't that hard.

Thanks for the information. As you say, a lot of thing for a simple command !

But anyway, if it's works !!

I will try this for the other 14 free buttons with BS, we have just to wait the release of BS!!

Have a good week.

Razorback

PS : By the way, wednesday I have one hour on a A-109 Agusta simulator ! (Pictures later)

Razorback

You lucky b*st*rd !!!:pilotfly::smilewink:

Hello guys,

Like I said last Thuesday, I was yesterday on the Belgian Helicopter base in order to receive a course on the A-109 Agusta multirole helicopter.

It was really great. After one hour in the helicopter (With the exploanations on the cockpit), I have passed 85 minutes in the real A-109 simulator.

It's really hard to control all the things but it was really interesting. It's very difficult to fly an helicopter and afterwards a plane, the control of the helicopter is completely different and you have to check a lot of things.

(I crashed during the landing on a Belgian airfield at St-Hubert :smartass:)

Don't forget to give power just before the landing !!!!;)

Here are two pictures, the first one is the Tactical simulator and the other is the real simulator.

I will post others pictures soon because I can go back wen ever I want ! ( mmm I like the friendship between the men of the Ground and Air Componand !! :D)

Raz

1195010795_Simutactique.thumb.jpg.968368a2e24c189324f991279f58f28c.jpg

1874947443_Simuvol.thumb.jpg.c046a2bdd978b19df8d673e909b4a164.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Finally !!!

Yes, I have received the last wooden part of my Ka-50 from the carpenter.

The windscreen is not totaly finished but I have now the most part of them.

The rounded flank will be added during next days.

After that I will place my 22' flatscreen inside.

I have also received my new computer :

MB s775 Asus Striker Extreme

CPU Intel s775 Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.66Ghz 4X2Mb

3 Gb DDR2 memory

2X HDD Stata 160Gb

Nvidia Asus GForce 8800 GTS 512 Mb

FC is running with the biggest graphics option and everything is very smooth (Even with Track IR 4 Pro) It's a pleasure to flight with the SU-25T.

I have still to wait my seat and his support from the ironworker. (5-7 days)

Of course pictures soon ! ;)

Here are the first picture of my simpit with the windscreen...

Have a nice flight

Raz

812712382_15_30janvier08(1).thumb.JPG.9881e9338996d927dfb30e6c0943730e.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Hey razorback, i don't have access to real photos of the KA-50 cockpit. From the producer's notes video and some pics at the DCS website, I can't see all the cyrillic letters clearly. It seems that you have labelled all switches with cyrillic. Is it possible to send me the cyrillic for the switches and panels that you have, then I find a way to translate them?

Hi Roketter and Cat 101st,

For your information some of the labels above or under my switches are real cyrillic legend.

But some of other are only words made with cyrillic letters and even one of our russian "camarades" could not translate it ! lollllll

But anyway if your are still interested, I have made these legends with Powerpoint and if you send me your e-mail adress in my private message, Its not a problem to send you that.

Best regards

Raz

Hello guys,

I am back with new pictures !!

My carpenter and ironman have finally finished the work and I can finally begin the latest part of my simpit.

I will post a lot of picures during the next day then be prepared !!!:D

My seat is not yet finished (maybe tomorrow) then pictures soon.

I have also to paint the outside part of my simpit.

As you seen on pictures still a lot of work.

Enjoy !

Raz

cockpit1.thumb.jpg.55e1c056d9381e6dd5804a57e2849e4c.jpg

1876316094_cockpit2.thumb.jpg.aadb7326f0d50590852e3a5347182e70.jpg

Awesome! Wish I could pay you a visit. And thanks for the powerpoint slides.

Have you thought of using some interface cards besides X keys? That's a lot of switches you've got! Maybe opencockpit's IO cards? They seem to be cheap and comprehensive in features. I'm thinking of switching to OC. It'd be able to handle the LCD you've got, and also servos for the gauges, ie. any output stuff, besides your input switches.

By the way, have you watched Justine Henin play in Belgium? She's my favourite female player. Really impressive being small in size yet able to outplay so many big and strong females to be number one.