Helicopters on the supercarrier?

xvii-Dietrich

1024px-thumbnail.jpg

The new "supercarrier" module looks great, and I am really looking forward to it. However, I want to raise the issue of helicopters. If you look at pictures of Nimitz class (incl. the Theodore Roosevelt subclass) carriers, you will often see them with helicopters... typically a variant of the SH-60 Seahawk. Tantalisingly, some of the screenshots of the DCS supercarrier module have the odd SH-60 parked somewhere.

Now, to really make the carrier ecosystem come to life, having helicopters operating off deck, tagging along on station, and ferrying to-and-from shore and other ships would add so much. So, a few(!) questions if I may...

• What are our chances of ever getting a flyable SH-60 or HH-60?
  • Or, are there other flyable helicopters we could get which would suit the new carrier module?
  • If not, would the AI SH-60B models we already have in DCS at least get a bit of a re-work to make them look better?
  • Alternatively, could the (much better) AI UH-60A model get a Navy-grey paintscheme, so it could be used?
  • Will there be a spawn point (or several) on the crowded deck where a SH-60 could take off?
  • Will AI helicopters be able to take off, then "keep station" flying alongside the ship?
  • Will the carrier ATC / LSO recognise helicopter traffic?
  • Will landing AI helicopters get in the way of aircraft?
  • Would they be smart enough not to crash into things?
  • And when they land on deck, will then get secured, so as not to slide around?
  • Will there be some sort of "rescue ditched pilot" mechanism - the perfect helicopter mini-mission?
  • Are there any other helicopter interactions planned?
  • And, if there are no flyable SH-60s, would be able to spawn a Huey or an Mi-8 as an alternative for us helicopter pilots who would like to try the carrier?
  • And, could the Mi-8 module get a DCS official (fictional) US-Navy Grey paintscheme so it "fits in" as an SH-60 stand in?

It would be really great if there was some way for us virtual helicopter pilots to be able to use the supercarrier module. It looks really exciting, and I feel that the presence of helicopters would add to the experience of the fixed-wing pilots too.

Any tidbits from ED? Any ideas from others? Thanks!!

• Like 1

One thing I'd also love to see is an SH-3 AI model - great for old school carrier ops.

• Like 1

Modules: F-14A/B | M-2000C | AJS-37 | Mi-24P F/A-18C | A-10C II | F-16C | UH-1H | F-5E | Mi-8 | FC 3 | AV-8B | A-4E | Gazelle | Ka-50 | Yak-52 | CE2

Maps: Syria | Marianas | NTTR | Persian Gulf | Caucasus

Setup: Virpil WarBRD Base & VFX TM Warthog | Arozzi Velocita Stand | Monstertech Mount | MFG Crosswind | Cougar MFDs | VRInsight Panel | JetSeat 908 | TrackIR

SH-60 and S-3 AI units has planned to rework by ED.

We have a great flying paint of the Blackhawk by PorcoRosso to look like the SH-60 now:

s5.jpg

What would be so appreciated would be a AI Static SH-60 ASAP so we can have one folded up on the carrier for a realistic look.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Carrier Strike Group One(CSG-1) Discord

• 1 month later...

• What are our chances of ever getting a flyable SH-60 or HH-60?

I don't put my hopes too high on a flyable SH-60. However, I feel there instances when often-voiced wishes were quickly ruled out by moderators or Wags. With regard to the SH-60 I don't remember any ED official ever ruling out one for DCS. This may indicate just that, ED is not ruling it out. That is probably all we'd ever get to hear about it currently, if they let down to give an official statement regarding an SH-60. Maybe NineLine could investigate on this?

It would be so fantastic to have this naval helicopter in DCS. Looking at all the naval assets that are coming to DCS, it would only appear consistent to integrate the SH-60.

Why not some Kaman Seasprites? Historically appropriate as the predecessor to the Seahawk, not in active US Navy service, and able to fire Torpedoes and Guided Missiles including the Hellfires and Mavericks (granted they were the international versions). Even as far as Sidewinder and Sparrows on a test beds.

Its an often overlook Naval Helo with many capabilities that should fit comfortably in the DCS realm, and also appropriate to operate from Frigates and Destroyers.

jw69-09.jpg

sprite6.jpg

800px-Kaman_UH-2C_Seasprite_in_flight_with_AIM-7_Sparrow_in_July_1972.jpg

Why not some Kaman Seasprites?

Sure, why not. Obviously the Seasprite is not the first choice of many naval helicopter-minded DCS pilots, but still a thousand times better than flying Hueys or Mi-8s off the deck. Out of active duty is not a mandatory requirement for American hardware in DCS though, looking at F-16, F-18, AV-8B... so an SH-60 might still be an option, and it would be the best denominator for everyone.

Or a flyable Sea King.

Yes, on the one hand it might be even better than the Seasprite, as much more air forces and navies employ the Sea King in reality world-wide. I'd definitely prefer it over a Seasprite.

On the other hand though the Sea King is too large for operations off frigates and destroyers in real life, as they don't fit into the hangars, whereas the Seasprite is not.

I'm not picky though, ANY (western) dedicated naval helicopter would be better than what we have now.

Personally, the only two naval helicopters I needed to be happy would be the Sea Lynx and the Sea King. Go Marineflieger :thumbup:

I guess the MI8 is about the closest stand-in for the foreseeable future.

Not really. The Mi-8 is even larger than a Sea King, so you can't make it take-off on ships smaller than carriers in DCS via Mission Editor. Also, with its russian-style cockpit, flight crew etc. it makes a bad substitute. I think the UH-1 is the best we have at the moment for western naval helicopter ops, with all the deficiencies it comes with of course.

Edited by Pilot Ike

• 2 weeks later...

With Poly hopefully dominating the helo sector of DCS, I really hope to sea more Naval Helo modules making there way to DCS. Especially with the new Pacific Maps coming out. A lot can be done with the SH-60, Sea Sprite and Sea King. Looking forward to future devs or ED picking one of these up.

With Poly hopefully dominating the helo sector of DCS, I really hope to sea more Naval Helo modules making there way to DCS. Especially with the new Pacific Maps coming out. A lot can be done with the SH-60, Sea Sprite and Sea King. Looking forward to future devs or ED picking one of these up.

Not so sure about them dominating (as yet).

I still prefer to fly the Huey or Mi8 over the gazelle.

Still, I’m very hopeful for the Kiowa and the statement from Poly that they’d update the Gazelle with learnings from the kiowa

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

• 1 year later...

It is amazing that I am thinking exactly the same thoughts as stated in this forum, and yet here we are: Q4 2021. I'll give it to ED, the super carrier and Marianna's are amazing terrains/assets and they set the perfect backdrop for the need of at least a reworked ai SH60. Would be great for a mod to drop in and fill the gap in the mean time. 🙂 

Regards GL

• 9 months later...
  • ED Team
1 hour ago, Mr.Scar said:

Bump this topic up. Wonder if there is anything going on here. I love rotorcraft and it would be great to get a heli equivalent of the tomcat/hornet, that works with the supercarrier. 

Looping in also @BIGNEWY @NineLine Thanks in advance for any feedback. 

Hi, I dont have any news to share about future helicopter projects currently, as soon as we are ready we will share. 

thank you

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2019 at 6:21 AM, Tomcatter87 said:

One thing I'd also love to see is an SH-3 AI model - great for old school carrier ops.

I think Razbam was actually seen working on an SH-3, not sure if as asset or module. Also there is a low detail 3D model in the game of an SH-3, but it's sadly not functioning in the game yet

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Planes: FC3, P-51, F-86, F-5E, Mirage 2000, F/A-18, F-14, F-16, Mig-19P :joystick:

ED pls gib A-4 and F-4 :cry: