The green gates. How to add them to my mission?

WildBillKelsoe

Hello,

If you have P-51D, the campaign missions usually comprise green gates to certain objectives. How can I add them to A-10C missions? Can I control their height? azimuth? Any guides here for them?

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

I'm not an experienced mission maker, but the magic can be hidden in these lines>

mission =

{

["trig"] =

{

["actions"] =

{

[1] = "a_show_route_gates_for_unit(1, 1);a_out_text_delay(\"A favorite pastime of many virtual pilots, let's fly under some bridges. Follow the gates to reach the bridges and fly through the gates underneath them.\", 15);a_set_flag(3);a_out_sound(\"8-1.wav\"); mission.trig.func[1]=nil;",

It's from "misson" file, which you can see, if you unzip *.miz file. These lines are from mission called Mission 08 - Fly Under Bridges.miz

I'm just guessing :smilewink:

Edited by Suchacz

Thanks Suchacz. I'll take a look. I'm trying to build a gate-based system for Mk-82's with the A-10. Something to help the roll-in/roll-out phase. I constantly over/under shoot

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Thanks Suchacz. I'll take a look. I'm trying to build a gate-based system for Mk-82's with the A-10. Something to help the roll-in/roll-out phase. I constantly over/under shoot

Mk82s are best when used with CCRP "carpet bombing" :lol:

Mk82s are best when used with CCRP "carpet bombing" :lol:

O'Really :megalol:.... Gee I didn't know...

Show helper gates is the trigger action. I haven't messed with it much, but if you have the P-51D you can open up one of the missions in the editor to see what sequence of commands it uses. The gates are based on the route specified in the editor and the gate orientation will be based on the position of the next gate.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

.....eeeeer excuse me, but one little advice (or example) will be better than thousand words, please. A little tiny tutorial for us, ordinary BFU :helpsmilie:

:thumbup:

Edited by Suchacz

I'll check it out Grimes.

can these gates be removed from sim once you passed them?

• 5 years later...
They are called "helper gates" and to my knowledge you can't change their size. They are created two ways, both are actions in the trigger list:

Show Helper Gates for Unit, the gates correspond to the position of waypoints assigned to the specified unit. So you will have to have a ton of waypoints. When the unit passes through a gate the specified flag is set to true or increased by one, I can't remember which. This method is more commonly used because it is easier to work with.

Show Helper Gates: Defines the position of the gate in the world x, y, z coordinates plus aspect.

Once>Time More than 1> Show Helper Gates for Unit

Is all that is required. :)

Sorry Jeff but unfortunately I was not able to place gates in a mission.

Do those green helper gates still working in DCSW 2.5.0 ???

Does it need trigger zones as well ?

(IIRC in early DCS-Warthog (1.0.0.6-1.0.0.9) that was a static/fortification object)

Would you mind making me/us a sample mission using 2-3 helper gates ?

PLZ

TY

sign-pic4.jpg

• 1 year later...

I'm trying to use gates in a MP mission.

When I active the trigger, I'm seeing them as expected, but other flight don't see anything.

I've got:

- 4 flights with their own waypoints.

- 2 flights with GATES waypoints.

- Trigger enabled GATES on 2 previous flights uncontrolled

Gates are normaly displayed to everybody for selected unit flight plan or are normally displayed to controlled unit?

Thanks

• 9 months later...
I'm trying to use gates in a MP mission...

Gates are designed for use on SP only, as they are meant for training missions.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

• 3 years later...
21 hours ago, _Defi said:

But where in the mission editor did you turn this on?

It's not really well documented (anywhere?) - but the secret sauce is the trigger rule AT START that sets "SHOW HELPER GATES FOR UNIT" to 1

Remember that these gates only work on single player and cannot be turned off once enabled.

image.png

The gates follow the waypoints of the unit that it is enabled for (no zones required)

Edited by cfrag

26 minutes ago, cfrag said:

It's not really well documented (anywhere?) - but the secret sauce is the trigger rule AT START that sets "SHOW HELPER GATES FOR UNIT" to 1

Remember that these gates only work on single player and cannot be turned off once enabled.

image.png

The gates follow the waypoints of the unit that it is enabled for (no zones required)

thanks! is there  a way to make them disappear once passed through? or play a sound file every time a gate is passed? I can only see setting up trigger zones but they are vertically unlimited so one would need to set complicated altitude conditions to make this work for each and every gate. is there a better way?

29 minutes ago, _Defi said:

is there  a way to make them disappear once passed through?

Unfortunately, no.

29 minutes ago, _Defi said:

or play a sound file every time a gate is passed?

Yes, and that would be easiest if you resort to scripting. As you have noticed yourself, you'd have to place zones, and then check the altitude, probably also heading - but I think it can be done with just zones.

These gates have very little integration into DCS missions, and give off a distinct 'bolted-on after-thought' vibe to me. Which is bit of a bummer, as they could be great, and definitely fun for multiplayer. 

Edited by cfrag