Severe Critical Bug in ALL Windows, patch it TODAY..

..once the patch has been released later today.

As it is under a NDA for the military and key infrastructure who got the patch first, not much is known other than it's a crypt bug and affects ALL Windows versions.

Some more info, tho not much is here:

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/rumor-microsoft-might-share-information-on-extremely-critical-vulnerability-later-today.html

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

This would be same the day Windows 7 leaves support....

Whoops.

It was the last patchday that Windows 7 still received updates (barring any future updates, like the one for XP a while back even years after the official end of life). What's the problem?

Of course for all users who're still on Win 7, some time between now and 11 February would be a great time to upgrade to Win 10. Beginning 11 February, Win 7 will not receive any more updates, so that is the date people should be afraid of.

Personally, I think the upgrade is relatively simple and straightforward. I haven't run into any major problems on a bunch of PCs. But of course it's always a good idea to keep an offline backup of all important data, just in case things do go south.

Still running a few 150,000+ dollar machines on XP lol. Still going strong and are networked with 7 and 10 machines from the office. Would like to upgrade them sure, problem is the machines would need replacing also, as the software they run is for XP / Win 7 only.

Local and offsite cloud backup.

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

So it's NOT for all Windows; just Windows 7?

Rig: Alienware Aurora R9 - 9th Gen Core i7 9700K 4.6GHz 8 Cores | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GDDR6 | 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD | 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL DDR4 3200MHz XMP 2.0 | LG Series80 QNED 50in 4K 120hz | TM Warthog HOTAS w/F-18 grip | Logitech G Pro RP | TM Cougar MFDs | TrackIR 5 Pro | VR: Oculus Quest 2 |

Modules: FC3 | F/A-18C | F-16C | A-10C II | F-14 | M-2000C | AV-8B | F-5E | JF-17 | P-51D | KA-50iii | UH-1H | AH-64D | Supercarrier | Combined Arms | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Syria | Normandy | Chanel |

It depends.

The most recent (last couple of years) "critical updates" for Ransomware and RDP applied to all versions of windows up to Win10 1607 (first release). Later versions of Win10 did not need patches.

crypt32.dll has been patched more than once over the years (various Windows versions). It is a core component, and there is a high likelihood it could be all versions. We will have to wait for more details.

As far as I've heard, this is relevant for *all* Windows versions.

My previous Win 7 ramblings were in response to a post that seemed to indicate that Win 7 would not be receiving patches against this particular vulnerability. To the best of my knowledge, Win 7 will be patched against it, just like any other supported Windows version (8.1, Win 10, and several server versions).

In any case, if you get a notification about Windows Updates, just hit Install and reboot as soon as possible, no matter which version of Windows you run.

From what is known know after disclosure it's a WIn10 and Server 2016 and Server 2019 bug only.

Still, hit PATCH asap on any windows that still receives updates, maybe 7 is affected too and the info just doesnt mention it as it is EOL.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X