Online newbie / virgin.

Andrew u.k.

I've been using DCS on and off since the A-10 came out. But have never gone online. I'm pretty competent with the A10, Huey and F18 carrier landing.

• Do I need to join a group?
  • Is TS compulsory?
  • Are there any getting started guides with online play?

I've played other online games, but this seems a little more daunting.

Cheers

Andrew

You don't need to join a group but I think it is safe to say that the organized groups are where you are going to get more specialized, more realistic/authentic feeling missions on average. There are groups that hang out on public servers as well so there is that.

Some kind of voice communication is going to be preferred. Some communities will favor SRS and some will favor Discord. Teamspeak still gets used but Discord is kinda taking over.

As far as getting started guides go. I would suggest just making sure you understand the various systems, weapons, and sensors for each of the modules you wish to fly. The less of that you need to learn on the spot (or get taught to you in the heat of the action), the better for everyone, including yourself.

1) Nope, just jump on a public MP server of your choice. The trick is to find a server that suits your playstyle, but you have to try them to determine that. I guess the 104th Server might be a good start, as its missions are pretty straight forward (and boring :music_whistling:). Later you could try servers like Blue Flag which are running more complex operations.

2) That depends on the server, but mostly it is not compulsary, but encouraged to use voice comms. TS is one option, but today it is far more popular to use SRS, which simulates actual aircraft radios.

3) There are probably some, although I don't know one. For starters there's really not much more to it than just jump on a public server, read the briefing and go fly. It's not any different than other online games in this regard if you play on public servers. Flying with a squadron though is a totally different world than flying public. You should be somewhat capable in operating your aircraft though, unless you're jumping on a training server.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Welcome Andrew:pilotfly:

MODULES: A10C Warthog,AH-64 D APACHE,AJS Viggen,AV8B Harrier,BF109 K4,C101 Aviojet,F14 Tomcat,F15E Eagle,F16 Viper,F5 Tiger,F86 Sabre,FA18C Hornet,FW190A8,FW190D9,I16 Ishak,JF17 Thunder,KA50 Blackshark,L39Albatros,Mirage2000C,Mirage F-1,MI24P,MI8MVT2,MIG15BIS,MIG19P,MIG21BIS,Mosquito FB VI,P51D Mustang,P47D Thunderbolt,SA342 Gazell,SpitfireIX,TF51D,UH1H Huey,Yak52.

OTHER:Flamming cliffs,Combined Arms,WW2 Assets Pack,SuperCarrier.

TERRAINS: Nevada,Caucasus,Normandy,Persian Gulf,Syria,Channel,Marianas.