R-77 for Sukhoi's

Come on guys, a video game render?

Please, look at the CAPTION....

This is a REAL PHOTOGRAPH from Vadim Savitsky, with photo ID (213336) taked in Russia in the Volga Delta in 2016 and posted in RussianPlanes.NET.

This web ONLY posts REAL PICS.

More RVV-SD, this time Su-30SM, same photographer. Also ingame render?

194475.jpg

201367.jpg

All this pics and more from the same set of pics are taken in Astrakhan Oblast, home of the 185th Center for Combat Employment and Retraining of Personnel. This is a test center for weapons training, combat training and even SAM training ( in Ashkuluk, different base than Astrakhan, a Range Training Test Facility for SAMs).

And contracts for the RVV-SD are signed in 2012 and 2015 for 13.175 billion rubles with deliveries starting in 2016.

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

It's the lighting in the previous picture that makes it look fake. Everything is so well lit that the terrain has no detailing, the water has no detailing. The aircraft body looks almost airbrushed.

The latter two look real because it doesn't have such perfect lighting.

All pics are from the same set, same artist, same place.

It´s only camera quality and photograph skill.

And of course ALL ARE REAL.

And the RVV-SD are the same, because that set is from the SAME DAY.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

They are the same RVV-SD, the only "R-77" in service right now in the VSS in some quantities.

The Astrakhan pics are from a Test and Training center where new weapons are tested in real life conditions with real armed weapons. VVS in 2016 received the RVV-SD in some quantities, more to come, and they where testing it in July 2016. This is why some parts are painted in red. For trials.

But normal operational RVV-SD where used in Syria painted in all white, six months later.

Edited by Esac_mirmidon

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The first image made me really appreciate how great DCS graphics really is because you can find same quality in image taken from DCS.

Thanks you Esac for clarifying and great images

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

As far as i know the RVV-AE is an export versión of the former R-77, less capable and with foreign parts and components.

Russia MoD never bought this version and they never equiped any VVS unit in service. The more advance and capable SD is entering service since mid 2016, but only in 2017 is beeing fielded in some quantities.

The VVS still lacks large stocks but the contracts where signed and is a question of time that this stock increases and more VVS units would start using It in normal service.

Take in count that the RVV-AE first training trails in Astrakhan are from July 2016.

This is from Rosobonexport.

RVV-SD AAM

The R-77, RVV-AE designation used for the export market and AA-12 Adder designation used by Western intelligence, is an extended medium range air-to-air missile featuring an active radar seeker to engage multiple airborne targets simultaneously. The RVV-SD, an evolutional development of RVV-AE features an increased maximum range of up to 110 kilometers and can engage fixed- and rotary-wing aircraft as well as cruise missiles and unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs). The weapon is also suitable for intense clutter and jamming scenarios with multiple air-to-air engagements simultaneously. The RVV-SD guidance system combines the inertial navigation system (INS) and active radar seeker with data-link target correction. It is fitted with a fixed thrust solid fuel rocket motor and laser proximity fuze. The rod type warhead consists of multiple hollow charges. Aircraft catapult launcher AKU-170E is used for suspension. The missile may be adapted for deployment on foreign carriers. This missile, with unique lattice controls, is a modern BVR weapon designed to kill 12G manoeuvring targets, and credited with an A-pole range of 54nm. As the R-77 has AMRAAM-like capabilities, it permits a Flanker to launch multiple rounds and guide these concurrently, engagement geometry permitting. The RVV-SD is a greatly updated and improved model with digital signal processing chips and all round improved performance.The RVV-SD features a heavier motor, which is at least part of what gives it a 35% greater maximum claimed range over the RVV-AE. It also uses a laser proximity fuse in place of the radar fuse of the RVV-AE. According to information released by the company, the missile is 15 kg. (33 lb.) heavier than the basic R-77/RVVAE, weighing 190 kg. rather than 175 kg. Maximum range claimed is increased to 110 from 80 km. (68 from 50 mi.). The missile is also slightly longer at 3.71 meters (12 ft.), rather than the 3.6 meters of the basic variant

Edited by Esac_mirmidon

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I would imagine that the RVV-SD is part of the intended armament for the PAK-FA when it enters service, and will doubtless be backwards compatible with more advanced versions of the Su-27 platform such as the Su-27SM, Su-30SM, Su-35 etc.

Slightly off topic, I wonder if the VKS intends to replace all their Su-27S with the -SM and -35, with additional squadrons of the PAK-FA? Also slightly surprised that the VKS apparently decided not to purchase a smaller fighter to compliment it such as the "MiG-35", in a similar F-15 / F-16 or Su-27 / MiG-29 mixture.

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

Russian MoD has order contracts for Mig-35

Ah you're right, apparently they plan to purchase 170 of them with deliveries starting next year. Makes sense.

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

I am confuse, people have been arguing about this missile for 10 years here, even on the old website before this one. Why isn't the missile in wide use? (any version of it) Why would it not fly on all aircraft that supposedly use it? (since so many supposedly carry it)

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

I've just talked about that.

July 2016 where the first "Life" operational trials of the RVV-SD in Astrakhan combat-training center. Think of this like Lypetsk for new aircraft entering service in the VVS.

Trials and training with new weapons takes time until operational approved steps taken. Also the production rates and deliveries are at relative slow, but steady pace, MoD dixit, and Syria was the first real operational deploy in combat for the RVV-SD.

So is entering service and we are going to see more pics or the missiles fielded more often. Before MoD never bought R-77, neither RVV-AE, so its imposible to see any operational unit with them beyond tests.

Edited by Esac_mirmidon

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

While there is at least data for the R-77's rocket motor, RVV-SD is all guesses.

According to Chizh, R-77 is a sort of AIM-120A equivalent.

I'd thus venture to guess that the RVV-SD is more of an AIM-120Csomething equivalent, whatever that may mean.

The heavier weight and longer fuselage indicate a larger rocket motor - but that's still just educated guessing. 15kg more could give you some 8kg of motor. Maybe all of the 15kg, but this really depends on what's been done with the seeker, fuze, warhead, etc in terms of miniaturization.

I would love to read any information about how this differs from the original RVV-AE.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Right now its to early to know but all specialized readings i have searched talks about the RVV-SD as an equivalente of the AIM-120C more or less.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I've just talked about that.

July 2016 where the first "Life" operational trials of the RVV-SD in Astrakhan combat-training center. Think of this like Lypetsk for new aircraft entering service in the VVS.

Trials and training with new weapons takes time until operational approved steps taken. Also the production rates and deliveries are at relative slow, but steady pace, MoD dixit, and Syria was the first real operational deploy in combat for the RVV-SD.

So is entering service and we are going to see more pics or the missiles fielded more often. Before MoD never bought R-77, neither RVV-AE, so its imposible to see any operational unit with them beyond tests.

Thanks. So the last 10 years of arguing here was for nothing, this missile are actually new and just now entering service. Got it, moving on.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Well Russia had some R-77 for sometime but never went into operational regular service. You know 1992 economic collapse.

Some confusion came IMHO because R-77 was operational with other countries like China for example, making some people think if other countries has the R-77, Russia for sure also.

But first economic collapse burnt out the R-77 option and after that the RVV-AE was really underperforming to be the main BVR missile for PAK-FA, Su-35 or Mig-35.

So more time consumed until the RVV-SD, (and the short range MD) is fielded at last.

Edited by Esac_mirmidon

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

According to Chizh, R-77 is a sort of AIM-120A equivalent.

More like an AIM-120B equivalent - the R-77 has a reprogrammable seeker, the AIM-120A didn't.

The heavier weight and longer fuselage indicate a larger rocket motor - but that's still just educated guessing. 15kg more could give you some 8kg of motor. Maybe all of the 15kg, but this really depends on what's been done with the seeker, fuze, warhead, etc in terms of miniaturization.

If its using the new 9B-1103M seeker by AGAT(which sounds plausible), then that at least cuts about 6 kg compared to the R-77/RVV-AE - i.e. 16 kg for the 9B-1348E vs. 10 kg for the 9B-1103M.

JJ

Well Russia had some R-77 for sometime but never went into operational regular service. You know 1992 economic collapse.

There is something to suggest that it actually "entered service" officially in 1994, but that Russia never actually bought any - at least not many, which in turn may have had more to do with not having any aircraft compatible with it back then.

JJ

Nice photos. At the moment it looked like rendering probably because of increased vibrant coloring.

So then why MiG29S has R77 but Su27 doesn't in DCS and how come it took so long to transfer pylons and fire control system from Fulcrum to Flanker in RL? Was there some version of Su27S that was R77(domestic version) capable in the meantime?

More like an AIM-120B equivalent - the R-77 has a reprogrammable seeker, the AIM-120A didn't.

I was told 120A. There was no explanation unfortunately. The seeker being re-programmable is only a small part of the missile as a whole being re-programmable though. Anyway, not a big deal :)

If its using the new 9B-1103M seeker by AGAT(which sounds plausible), then that at least cuts about 6 kg compared to the R-77/RVV-AE - i.e. 16 kg for the 9B-1348E vs. 10 kg for the 9B-1103M.

Makes sense. A smaller warhead could also free up a lot of weight.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

It was all politics and economy. R-77 also used foreign components, and statements from Russian sources were already made that it didn't perform as well as they had hoped to. What all this means, I don't know - but what is 'commonly known' is that you shouldn't be seeing any R-77's on Russian jets before RVV-SD. Jet upgrades made the jets capable of launching those missiles but the missiles themselves weren't purchased.

I don't have the best sources for dates, so maybe someone with better sources will be able to correct this:

A single Su-27SM squadron began delivery in 2004, another was signed for in 2006. So you'd have a very small number capable of launching R-77's and that's beginning in the mid-2000's. That's not an issue for us (a server can make 1000 of them available after all), just saying that's the history.

So then why MiG29S has R77 but Su27 doesn't in DCS and how come it took so long to transfer pylons and fire control system from Fulcrum to Flanker in RL? Was there some version of Su27S that was R77(domestic version) capable in the meantime?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]