DCS WWII OBJECT WISH LIST - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-30-2017, 07:01 AM   #1
michelip

Reputation power: 0
michelip is on a distinguished road
Default DCS WWII OBJECT WISH LIST

It seems from recent posts (my own included) that it might help the developers to gather in one thread a wish list of Mission Editor objects of the WW II era. Many of the existing M.E. placeable objects are too modern to fit the D-Day atmosphere which the Normandy map creates. There are many missing objects which would greatly enhance that atmosphere. I'm sure that the developers will already have many such objects in mind for future updates, but it can't hurt to let them know which ones we think most important. In listing our wishes it would help to specify if they should be A.I. or stationary, and also any added comments such as weathering would help. As an example, I would suggest something like this: (1) WW II era British, German and French civilian motor vehicles - A.I. - Weathered, (2)Small group of airfield ground personnel - standing and sitting - Stationary, (3) Bomb tractor - Stationary - Weathered.
Looking forward to your thoughts and ideas.
Regards,
Mich.
michelip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 08:23 AM   #2
Hawkeye60

Reputation power: 8
Hawkeye60 is just really niceHawkeye60 is just really niceHawkeye60 is just really niceHawkeye60 is just really niceHawkeye60 is just really niceHawkeye60 is just really niceHawkeye60 is just really niceHawkeye60 is just really niceHawkeye60 is just really niceHawkeye60 is just really nice

Great idea!

Our Team is working on additional objects.
A central list of all WW II related assets would be very nice!
Perhaps a sticky thread?
With links and pics.

"WWII Assets Database"

Administrators?
"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."
Hawkeye60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 02:21 PM   #3
michelip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye60 View Post
Great idea!

Our Team is working on additional objects.
A central list of all WW II related assets would be very nice!
Perhaps a sticky thread?
With links and pics.

"WWII Assets Database"

Administrators?

Thanks Hawkeye - not much other response to that suggestion, but I have another item for the wish list:
At the moment all shipping, static or moving is limited to the ocean. Fair enough for large ships, but Mission Ed. wont let us place any vessel in inland waterways (i.e.canals or rivers). Allied strafing/rocketing of small canal/river transport boats and barges was common in WW2, especially in northern France. Surely a couple of simple cargo barges and perhaps a barge-tug could be added to the assets. Ideally, these would be mobile and damageable, but if that is too hard, then as stationary objects placeable on such waterways. They would make interesting and realistic targets.
Any feedback on that?
Regards,
Mich
Old 07-17-2017, 08:28 PM   #4
AG-51_Razor

Reputation power: 9
AG-51_Razor is a jewel in the roughAG-51_Razor is a jewel in the roughAG-51_Razor is a jewel in the roughAG-51_Razor is a jewel in the roughAG-51_Razor is a jewel in the roughAG-51_Razor is a jewel in the roughAG-51_Razor is a jewel in the roughAG-51_Razor is a jewel in the rough

How about a variety of ready made revetments for AAA? Sand bags in a circle or horse shoe for the Bofors or quad 20's? Anything like that would be a great boon to just being able to ID a target from a few thousand feet up. Right now, it's really difficult to see anything until it's already shooting at you!

Camouflage netting on poles for aircraft parking?
Old 07-18-2017, 01:15 AM   #5
Hawkeye60

Hawkeye60 is just really niceHawkeye60 is just really niceHawkeye60 is just really niceHawkeye60 is just really niceHawkeye60 is just really niceHawkeye60 is just really niceHawkeye60 is just really niceHawkeye60 is just really niceHawkeye60 is just really niceHawkeye60 is just really nice

Quote:
How about a variety of ready made revetments for AAA? Sand bags in a circle or horse shoe for the Bofors or quad 20's? Anything like that would be a great boon to just being able to ID a target from a few thousand feet up. Right now, it's really difficult to see anything until it's already shooting at you!

Wow!

All great ideas!

Most allied troops did not have buildings to rest in while in the field. They used tents or nothing at all. Even fires were discouraged for fear of being pinpointed by the enemy. The book "Dog Company The boys of point du Hoc" showed what it was really like in the early days of the invasion. Dam those Rangers were good!

For WW II how about campfires that burn and/or emit smoke?

That would help target acquisition!

Let me see what I can do.........
"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."
Old 07-18-2017, 06:52 AM   #6
FlyingPhotog

Reputation power: 2
FlyingPhotog is on a distinguished road

Pilots and Co-Pilots in the B-17G "Ghost Ships" ?

Perhaps at least a torso in the tail gun and a head in the upper turret?

The turrets should be "scanning" for bandits any time the bombers are within 50 miles or so of the French coast.

Otherwise, I think the B-17G you've crafted is a certified gem of modeling.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:33 AM   #7
michelip

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG-51_Razor View Post

Excellent idea Razor. Perhaps placeable objects of short lines of sandbags, one curved to give us a way to compile circles/semi-circles, and one straight to place around tents etc..
Old 07-24-2017, 10:30 AM   #8
michelip

Default NORMANDY OBJECT WISHLIST so far:

Following earlier posts and thanks to Hawkeye, Razor and Flying Photog we have some ideas for placeable, damageable objects in Mission Ed. for Normandy:

STATIONARY:
Sandbag revetments (straight and curved segments). Weathered.
Camo. netting on poles.
WW2 style tents (small, to complement the large F.A.R.P. tents)- weathered.
Small group of Airfield personnel (e.g. in flying suits and overalls) some standing, some squatting.
Bomb Tractor with trailer(s) - weathered.
Smoking campfires.
Cargo groups - e.g. Loose oil drums, boxes, crates. Weathered.

AI & STATIONARY:
Some WW2 era British, French and German civilian motor vehicles -weathered.
Cargo barges (some loaded) that can be placed on rivers / canals, with a barge tug. Weathered.
German infantry. ( the present ones don't work yet).

EXISTING MAP OBJECTS:
I would also like to see some of the native objects in the Normandy map available for Mission Ed. placement. These are already made, and perhaps could easily be added to the M.Ed. object lists. These include: French civilian vehicles, motor cycle or bicycle, wheel barrow, threshing machine (?), hay cart, barrels, a few of the village buildings and a small selection of trees and bushes which could be used to relieve the sparseness of the airfields.

Please post your thoughts/ ideas. Keep in mind that objects are difficult to create and render, especially mobile ones, so simplicity is the best policy.
Regards to all,
Mich.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:59 AM   #9
Hawkeye60

Quote:
I would also like to see some of the native objects in the Normandy map available for Mission Ed. placement. These are already made, and perhaps could easily be added to the M.Ed. object lists. These include: French civilian vehicles, motor cycle or bicycle, wheel barrow, threshing machine (?), hay cart, barrels, a few of the village buildings and a small selection of trees and bushes which could be used to relieve the sparseness of the airfields.
I have made barrels, sandbags and trees already!
They are in the WW II and WW I asset packs posted in the mods forum.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:53 PM   #10
michelip

I looked in DCS Mods forum. Can't find them. Can you tell me what date they were uploaded?

Post Script Edit: Ignore the above - have now found and installed them. Already make a big difference to airfields.
Thanks
Mich

Last edited by michelip; 07-26-2017 at 02:28 PM.