VPC Constellation ALPHA-R

sobe

Is the VPC Constellation ALPHA-R good for airplane sims as I do not play any space sim games?

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

While questions like this are always a bit subjective, in my case I'll answer with a strong "yes".

I have one and another on the way (and a left for Star Citizen). It's a great all round stick, in fact many like it as their primary "go to" Virpil stick for their bases. It's comfortable for the majority, has a good number of buttons/hats, and most of all, it has an analogue mini stick. That's important for this sim for slewing pods/etc, and some throttles either don't have an analogue mini stick, or it's a case of it being more accurate with your primary hand (right handed people and left handed people benefit here as they make l/r Alphas).

You'll get lots of opinions on this here, just read them and see what you think.

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1

I forgot to mention that I am currently using a WarBRD base with my WH joystick and that is why I am thinking about the VPC Constellation ALPHA-R instead of my WH joystick.

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

If you are not space simming the CM2 grip might be a better choice ,

the trigger config (flip down) on the alpha is more suited to space stuff that normal aircraft,

the CM2 flip trigger is more useable

No more pre-orders

Click here for tutorials for using Virpil Hardware and Software

Click here for Virpil Flight equipment dimensions and pictures.

While I like the CM2 grip, it states: "Not Suitable for Desktop Use" so it is not an option as I am a desktop user. that is why I bought a WarBRD base.

Yeah I first tried the CM2 + warbrd on a desktop.... too damn tall sadly

luckily to cover all options I bought a deskmount + mount plate as well in the order

So using the VPC deskmount made it very useable

The CM2 grip is about 40mm taller than Alpha

No more pre-orders

Click here for tutorials for using Virpil Hardware and Software

Click here for Virpil Flight equipment dimensions and pictures.

I forgot to mention that I am currently using a WarBRD base with my WH joystick and that is why I am thinking about the VPC Constellation ALPHA-R instead of my WH joystick.

Well, I've got a Alpha on pre-order and I'm hoping that it will replace my Hornet stick (which I love) and my WH stick.

Swapping between sticks is a bot of a pain, even with 2 WarBRD bases.

If it doesn't suit, then I can easily sell it on, but I've got high hopes.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Sobe if you aren't going to use a desk mount and prefer to use your Warbrd as a desktop (that's where my Warbrds are too, desktop), if you want something different than your WH metal stick, IMO the Alpha is the best, almost the only other choice for an "all rounder" stick. The F14 and F18 stick options out there for the Warbrd are great, but a bit too type specific IMO.

Also the Alpha again gives you an analogue ministick, which even if the T50CM2 was shorter, isn't worth the trade for the flippy trigger and analogue brake axis. I find I use the analogue ministick a lot more than both those other doohickies put together, but again, subjective.

Swapping between sticks is a bot of a pain, even with 2 WarBRD bases.

This. This this this. I didn't think it would be nearly as bothersome as it is, but getting the little pins lined up every single time without bending them, then messing about with the VPC software, etc etc, for every.single.plane.switch.in.game. It becomes tiresome, and fast. My solution was to accept the associated wife ack/AAA (and ooooh did she fire a lot of it over this), and buy a base for every stick pretty much for the Virpil line of compatible sticks I have in mounts and the Warbrds. Again, subjective and YMMV depending on the setup - I already had a couple of the first gen T50 bases and Warbrds, so getting a couple more T50CM2 on top of the 2 I had wasn't a real big deal to permanently mount/flash a base/stick combo for all planes/sticks concerned.

Starting out right now/all over again, or $/wife approval/etc limitations being the case, I think running desktop Warbrds with Alpha grips is a great all rounder solution for every plane/sim/space game out there right now.

Edited by Gman109

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1

I've upgraded from t16000m to Constellation alpha and i'm dissapointed to say the least. First of all t16000 turned out to be pretty good product despite being 8 times less expensive. Second of all while Alpha has insane ammount of buttons, hats and switches all these damn buttons are impossible to press reliably. I constantly press more than one directon. Also twisting to the right and using any buttons at the same time is nearly impossible task.

I've upgraded from t16000m to Constellation alpha and i'm dissapointed to say the least. First of all t16000 turned out to be pretty good product despite being 8 times less expensive. Second of all while Alpha has insane ammount of buttons, hats and switches all these damn buttons are impossible to press reliably. I constantly press more than one directon. Also twisting to the right and using any buttons at the same time is nearly impossible task.

I sort of get what you mean re buttons. It was the same on my CM2 throttle, mainly with the 5 way switches. I found that pressing buttons in inevitably meant another direction was also pressed, etc.

I think 90% of that is getting used to the way the buttons work. After a couple of months of using my throttle, I hardly ever double press now.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

• 3 weeks later...

Can the ministick on the Alpha be configured as buttons instead of axis ?

i7 6700k/GTX1070-8G/MSI-Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon/32GB DDR4 Kingston HyperX PREDATOR DDR4 3000MHZ Vengeance 1600/TM Warthog #6106/Samsung SB350_S27B350H/OCZ Agility3 SSD 128GB / Win10-64/TIR5

Can the ministick on the Alpha be configured as buttons instead of axis ?

Yes, it can in the VPC software. Use the 'Axis to Button' section.

How is the feeling of it in your hand? With such a strong hunch, I'm wondering if my hand will fit the grip. The breadth of my hand is 3.5" so would be great to get some feedback. I'm trying to choose between the Alpha and the CM2 grip also.

i5 9600k/RTX2070/32gb RAM/Oculus Rift

Stick - Logi 3D Extreme

Rudder - Fanatec Clubsport v3

Rig - TrakRacer TR160

FC3/F14/F18/F16

Nevada

SuperCarrier

Are you concerned that your hand is too big or small?

All I can say is that my hand is 4.5" across at its widest, and I have no issues at all.

I was concerned about my hands being to big. I measured on my palm across my knuckles but if that’s how you measured imacken then I won’t have any issues. :thumbup:

i5 9600k/RTX2070/32gb RAM/Oculus Rift

Stick - Logi 3D Extreme

Rudder - Fanatec Clubsport v3

Rig - TrakRacer TR160

FC3/F14/F18/F16

Nevada

SuperCarrier

Ah no, I measured widest point, i.e. from thumb across palm.

I'm about 3.5" across the knuckles of my 4 fingers. So, seems pretty similar to you.