What g limit in DCS?

D4n

Hi, when pulling stick fully back at high speed, is there an auto g-limit to not rip off wings? What's the limit, and does the flight computer set different g-limits at different stores-configurations (weight)?

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

No, there is nothing in the aircraft that enforces a set G limit. There are limits to the max attainable load factor, but they're mostly related to practical limitations of the control surfaces and the related systems - maximum force the hydraulics are capable of exerting on the elevons, max elevon deflection angle, that sort of thing. That means it varies a lot with airspeed and altitude, of course. See here for an old post of mine with more details.

As per the diagram in that post, the theoretical max possible load factor is 12 G (if the wings don't rip off before that), around Mach 0.8 and below ~1000 m MSL.

Edited by renhanxue

(if the wings don't rip off before that)

That's what I wonder, how Saab engineered the wings, how they are modeled in DCS currently, can they break?

Edited by DanielNL
DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

Okay, thanks! :)

• 1 year later...

Recently tried Viggen again after a long time away. Noticed that it is impossible to load it more than 8 G. Almost seemed like their was some FBW limit like in the F/A-18 or F-16.

Is this a bug or just a shortcut in the development of some kind?

i7-7700K @ 4.9 GHz | Gigabyte Aorus Geforce GTX 1080 Ti | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 2400 MHz (2800 OC) | Asus Strix Z270E Gaming | Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD 1 TB | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD 500 GB | WD NAS Red 2TB SATA3 | Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H80i v2 | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog | Saitek PRO rudder pedals | Valve Index

Recently tried Viggen again after a long time away. Noticed that it is impossible to load it more than 8 G. Almost seemed like their was some FBW limit like in the F/A-18 or F-16.

Is this a bug or just a shortcut in the development of some kind?

Not sure what you're doing, but it's definitely possible to go higher than 8G.

Viggen is love. Viggen is life.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7-10700K @ 5GHz | RTX 2070 OC | 32GB 3200MHz RAM |

The g-meter in the DCS module is currently not able to show more than 8g.

Ok, that makes sense since I actually ripped the wings off and that happens with a load far higher than 8g now that I think about it :music_whistling: (although the meter didn't go further than 8g)

i7-7700K @ 4.9 GHz | Gigabyte Aorus Geforce GTX 1080 Ti | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 2400 MHz (2800 OC) | Asus Strix Z270E Gaming | Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD 1 TB | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD 500 GB | WD NAS Red 2TB SATA3 | Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H80i v2 | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog | Saitek PRO rudder pedals | Valve Index

• 3 weeks later...
It depends on on-set. The airframe is strong enough for 12Gs. Both in real and in the game.

But you can rip the wings off at 8G too if you don't manage the on-set

[ATTACH]237345[/ATTACH]

Ok but is the G-meter in the cockpit still not breaking 8G?

Ok but is the G-meter in the cockpit still not breaking 8G?

Yes, the guage still has a limit of 8G, so it won't go above that. Even though the aircraft can go above that.

Viggen is love. Viggen is life.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7-10700K @ 5GHz | RTX 2070 OC | 32GB 3200MHz RAM |

• 3 weeks later...