engine sound pitch change...Israel/Syria terrain maps

fitness88

When moving the throttles I don't hear a change of pitch from the engines at all except when it goes into afterburner.

Is this as it should be?

Also can the F-18 fly the Israel/Syria terrain maps, if so where can they be downloaded from?

Thank you.

Speaking of engine sound, it's fine for me EXCEPT when I pan around in external view so that i'm looking at the nose, then I get NO engine sound at all!

It's not a Hornet bug, I googled it and it's a known issue with Win 10 but apparently theres a fairly easy fix for it but I'm too lazy to do it because it's not really a big issue..:)

Edited by PoorOldSpike

Speaking of engine sound, it's fine for me EXCEPT when I pan around in external view so that i'm looking at the nose, then I get NO engine sound at all!

It's not a Hornet bug, I googled it and it's a known issue with Win 10 but apparently theres a fairly easy fix for it but I'm too lazy to do it because it's not really a big issue..:)

How fast are you going when this bug occurs?

Asus Z690 Hero | 12900K | 64GB G.Skill 6000 | 4090FE | Reverb G2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 + TM Grips  | Winwing Orion2 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals

How fast are you going when this bug occurs?

If you are flying supersonic and look at your nose from the front (F2 view) there will be no engine sound - and that is correct, of course.

If you change your viewpoint to look at the aircraft from the back you should definitely hear the engines though.

If you are flying supersonic and look at your nose from the front (F2 view) there will be no engine sound - and that is correct, of course.

If you change your viewpoint to look at the aircraft from the back you should definitely hear the engines though.

I've had this problem for a very long time, I just chocked it up as one of those DCS things. Not very high on my list of priority bugs since I spend 99% of my time inside the cockpit.

It's not a DCS thing, it's a physics thing.

If you're ahead of something that's travelling in excess of Mach 1, you won't be able to hear it.

Asus Z690 Hero | 12900K | 64GB G.Skill 6000 | 4090FE | Reverb G2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 + TM Grips  | Winwing Orion2 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals

I'm referring more to sitting inside the cockpit. I hardly hear the sound change from idle through to full mil...as mentioned I have no problem hearing the AB.

I would think at sub-sonic you should be able to hear more sound than what is generated.

Also I don't hear any noise for the landing gear or flaps when engaged...is this as it should be?

Edited by fitness88

Also I don't hear any noise for the landing gear or flaps when engaged...is this as it should be?

I certainly hear the landing gear deploying or retracting, but it's mostly a few deep "thud" kind of sounds. Which sound correct to me. I have a 5.1 speaker system for external sounds though, so that might be making a difference.

I remember reading one of the devs answering a similar question in the past, saying that according to their SMEs, you don't really hear the gear, you mostly feel it deploying. And you don't hear the flaps.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

I certainly hear the landing gear deploying or retracting, but it's mostly a few deep "thud" kind of sounds. Which sound correct to me. I have a 5.1 speaker system for external sounds though, so that might be making a difference.

I remember reading one of the devs answering a similar question in the past, saying that according to their SMEs, you don't really hear the gear, you mostly feel it deploying. And you don't hear the flaps.

Yes I do hear the beginning and ending sounds of the landing gear but nothing in between as for the the flaps nothing at all. I thought there would be a motor sound like you hear in commercial planes.

Yes I do hear the beginning and ending sounds of the landing gear but nothing in between as for the the flaps nothing at all. I thought there would be a motor sound like you hear in commercial planes.
Well, consider these:

1. Airliner flaps are massive compared to the Hornet's.

2. The pilot is wearing a helmet that's supposed to offer some soundproofing.

3. The ECS air pretty much drowns all other noises.

Of course, I can only speculate. But overall, I don't think a Hornet pilot would actually hear the flaps.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Well, consider these:

1. Airliner flaps are massive compared to the Hornet's.

2. The pilot is wearing a helmet that's supposed to offer some soundproofing.

3. The ECS air pretty much drowns all other noises.

Of course, I can only speculate. But overall, I don't think a Hornet pilot would actually hear the flaps.

Appreciate your perspective...thanks!

I have flown the F/A-18C and can say the sounds in DCS are spot on. The noise in the cockpit is almost 100% ECS. You can barely hear the engines once you close the canopy. The flaps are silent; you can’t hear them at all. The landing gear is just a bunch of thuds when the lock and unlock, plus increased wind noise.

Overall, I’d say the Hornet sounds are one of the most accurate parts of DCS.

I have flown the F/A-18C and can say the sounds in DCS are spot on. The noise in the cockpit is almost 100% ECS. You can barely hear the engines once you close the canopy. The flaps are silent; you can’t hear them at all. The landing gear is just a bunch of thuds when the lock and unlock, plus increased wind noise.

Overall, I’d say the Hornet sounds are one of the most accurate parts of DCS.

OK then I have heard enough to convince me...thanks.

I must admit though, I liked the sound I got from flaps and gear going through the entire range when flying the Mig or F-15.

It was an audio confirmation.