So hard to acquire a Target

Havoc04

I have started using and getting to know for what is available at the moment with mavericks. And 99% of the videos on youtube are with the WH/BH sensor head and the litening pod.

Now that the screens have changed to a Green sensor trying to acquire a target that is some what black on a green back ground that is NOT on a concrete surface is difficult at best. I understand that this version of the Harrier is a night Ops fight. But i have to give HATS OFF to the real pilots that can acquire a target with a black target on a green background.

Or the other question am i doing something wrong that can be simply altered in order to pick up a target easier with mavs?

Regards

Eh, I’m not so sure it’s easier. Real life FLIR has a lot more factors to contend with than we have in DCS, one that stands out is IR crossover. Hours of staring through an IR camera will have you thinking you’re looking at the moon, especially in desert climates; a phenomenon I’ve yet to experience in DCS.

Edited by Britchot

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CPU - Intel 8088 @ 4.77 MHz; Memory - 128KB; 360KB double-sided

5 1/4" full-height floppy disk drive; 10MB Seagate ST-412 hard drive

JG-1 MiG-21bis Checklist

You could try bringing the TGP along for your ride and use that to scout out your targets. The screen is still green, obviously, but you get a few more options in regard to zoom factors and switching back and forth between visual and infrared.

You can also use the DMT to mark your targets prior to Mav engagement, but that is a little less flexible as it doesn't have a variable FOV, sometimes making it very easy to look right past your target.

Are you using Mav-D's or K's? K's are the better way to go for target visibility and there's no warmup time either.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

Ds are IRMV and have a 126lb warhead, Ks are CCD and have a 300lb warhead. Sort of like comparing apples to watermelons.

Not when your in early access and you can actually see targets with one of them.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

I have started using and getting to know for what is available at the moment with mavericks. And 99% of the videos on youtube are with the WH/BH sensor head and the litening pod.

Now that the screens have changed to a Green sensor trying to acquire a target that is some what black on a green back ground that is NOT on a concrete surface is difficult at best. I understand that this version of the Harrier is a night Ops fight. But i have to give HATS OFF to the real pilots that can acquire a target with a black target on a green background.

Or the other question am i doing something wrong that can be simply altered in order to pick up a target easier with mavs?

Regards

It's all WIP. I assume, it will be getting easier, once, when contrast/gain/etc. settings of the MPCDs can be adjusted

Are you using Mav-D's or K's? K's are the better way to go for target visibility and there's no warmup time either.

Odd. In my experience both in the AV8B and the A10C it's the other way around. I find it much easier to acquire and lock targets using the IR seekers.

Odd. In my experience both in the AV8B and the A10C it's the other way around. I find it much easier to acquire and lock targets using the IR seekers.

When it comes to the A-10C I agree. The D's have always been magic. The Harrier however is not the same for me depending on the map. In 1.5, its fine, in 2.0 maps it is not.

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet