Lighthouse for VR and Flight Sims

Looking at jumping into VR for DCS. Experienced VR at a few Museums in Europe and one VR Arcade here in Riga. Rift S mostly

Been looking at the Pimax however it appears that for tracking you will need the lighthouse setup. I also read for driving sims and flight simulators that you don't need lighthouse.

So which is it? My budget allows for either the top end 8K head set or the 5K version with accessories.

I wont be dancing around the room slicing fruit right away. Just at my Desk with DCS for now.

Want to get the best bang for the buck up front for the SIM.

All opinions welcome.

Pretty sure most will say HP Reverb G2 for the clarity and colors. (No external tablet needed). 600 bucks, make sure you pre-order. Check out YouTube channel "mixed reality VR" or something. He has some decent comparisons, and he loves the G2. He Doesn't really bother talking about the Pimax stuff all that much. Be he compares it. I thought about Pimax myself. Not anymore.

Cheers!

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Looking at jumping into VR for DCS. Experienced VR at a few Museums in Europe and one VR Arcade here in Riga. Rift S mostly

Been looking at the Pimax however it appears that for tracking you will need the lighthouse setup. I also read for driving sims and flight simulators that you don't need lighthouse.

So which is it? My budget allows for either the top end 8K head set or the 5K version with accessories.

I wont be dancing around the room slicing fruit right away. Just at my Desk with DCS for now.

Want to get the best bang for the buck up front for the SIM.

All opinions welcome.

It's HMD dependent. Pimax *requires* lighthouse. But if you're doing flight/car sim, one lighthouse is adequate. I ran P5K+ using the original lighthouse (picked it up from Ebay). Speaking of which, they never did send out my KS package of two controllers and two lighthouses. Hmmm.

But WMR based headsets do not require light house. It has cameras in the HMD and tracks movement using the built in cameras.

Also, have you considered Reverb Gen 2? My pitools experience was less than stellar. But that was over a year ago so maybe things have gotten better.

I loved the wider FOV of Pimax 5K+, but Reverb had better clarity so I went with Reverb.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

It's HMD dependent. Pimax *requires* lighthouse. But if you're doing flight/car sim, one lighthouse is adequate. I ran P5K+ using the original lighthouse (picked it up from Ebay). Speaking of which, they never did send out my KS package of two controllers and two lighthouses. Hmmm.

But WMR based headsets do not require light house. It has cameras in the HMD and tracks movement using the built in cameras.

Also, have you considered Reverb Gen 2? My pitools experience was less than stellar. But that was over a year ago so maybe things have gotten better.

I loved the wider FOV of Pimax 5K+, but Reverb had better clarity so I went with Reverb.

You provided the answer I was looking for about a single lighthouse, thanks. I never thought a lot about FOV, I guess once you get into play it's not noticed that much. I was reading about VR stuff, & someone said to them it looked like playing from a large sewer pipe, darn, now I'm more aware!:noexpression: Been thinking about the Pimax 8K cus of the wide FOV. If the FOV was more important, could a person live with a little less clarity trade off? Thanks again

Asus ROG Z390, I9 9900K, Win10 64, 32 GB DDR4, 1TB NVMe M.2, EVGA GTX 2080 Ti, Realteus ForceFeel Gaming Pad, HP Reverb G2

You provided the answer I was looking for about a single lighthouse, thanks. I never thought a lot about FOV, I guess once you get into play it's not noticed that much. I was reading about VR stuff, & someone said to them it looked like playing from a large sewer pipe, darn, now I'm more aware!:noexpression: Been thinking about the Pimax 8K cus of the wide FOV. If the FOV was more important, could a person live with a little less clarity trade off? Thanks again

Bobaz, not to worry. You get used to it pretty quickly. Because I started out at DK1 (to DK2, to CV1) I didn't know why people were saying "it's like looking out of a diver's mask"

Then I bought P5K+ and said...Ohhhhhh, that's a much nicer FoV.

When I went back to CV1, it was EXACTLY like looking out of a scuba mask.

But, after jumping ship to Reverb for better clarity, I don't even notice it anymore. You just get used to it.

Pimax 8K++ is supposed to address both. Better FoV and clarity that rivals or is better than Reverb. But again, the software (pitools) was a concern for me.

So I'll stick with my Reverb and G2 on pre-order.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

hansangb, Thank you very much for your comments, hard choices. I'm leaning toward the Reverb G2. About the pimax, I'm not a fan of using light houses, for one thing, & the pitools you mention turns me off. The final turn off, I don't care for the manufacturer.

Before I decide I have to learn more about "Windows Mixed Reality", always something needed I don't understand.:unsure:

Edited by bobaz

Asus ROG Z390, I9 9900K, Win10 64, 32 GB DDR4, 1TB NVMe M.2, EVGA GTX 2080 Ti, Realteus ForceFeel Gaming Pad, HP Reverb G2

Good information here. Thanks everyone.

I think I will wait on a Pimax. Perhaps they will in later versions get rid of the use of the Lighthouse modules or augment them with the onboard tracking cameras. The FOV is what I am attracted to.

For now I may go with the Oculus Quest 2. At the price point I can then afford to invest in a 3080 10 gb or 20 gb or look at the 3090. Currently have the RTX 2070 with an i9 64Gigs Ram. I may have to upgrade the Video card for this move. This is also my first set of VR goggles.

MRTV made some interesting points about the Quest 2 . He noted that there are many disadvantages compared to the Quest 1 , and how cheaply the 1 is selling used now with the impending release of the 2 .

Edited by Svsmokey

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

hansangb, Thank you very much for your comments, hard choices. I'm leaning toward the Reverb G2. About the pimax, I'm not a fan of using light houses, for one thing, & the pitools you mention turns me off. The final turn off, I don't care for the manufacturer.

Before I decide I have to learn more about "Windows Mixed Reality", always something needed I don't understand.:unsure:

It's not that complicated. It's just a "home" screen where you can launch games, calibrate things etc. It's like Oculus home that runs every time windows boots.

Then you need SteamVR plug in. But you do *NOT* need Steam version of DCS.

I did a quick tutorial. Keep in mind things have changed, but you'll get an idea of what it takes to configure WMR. It's not much.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---