Easy to land - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 09-17-2020, 06:22 PM   #11
RodBorza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swagger897 View Post
I've read and viewed conflicting reports about flying the P47 and that's the first to say to come in low. Most I've seen have been about starting high and slow when on final and crabbing to have a runway picture.

Personally I find it easy to do either standard pattern work or the crab approach and kicking the tail back in line before a 3 point landing. I think however that the struts lack any sort of dampening and the aircraft bottoms out far too easily. I've tested this with a power on and power off approach and both end in the same result where the struts simply just collapse. The only way to grease a 3 point I've found is to continue to fly the aircraft all the way until lift is completely lost at a steady rate.
Yes, that's the technique. Fly it on to the runway. I do that with power on. It takes a lot of runway, but it is the way to do it. And, for me, coming in low, helps a lot to refrain that excess energy.

YouTube: SloppyDog
RodBorza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 01:27 AM   #12
freemind_fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodBorza View Post
Once at the runway threshold, roundout, don't flare
By this you mean don’t increase the AOA to much? if that’s what you want to say, I have the same impression with the P-51. By not pulling the stick to much the landings usually get smoother.
freemind_fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 04:14 PM   #13
GUMAR
NS 430 Tester

Send a message via ICQ to GUMAR

Quote:
Strangely enough I disagree with all the posts above. I guess piloting is a very personal and individual experience.

Anyway, landing for me is:
1) P47 is the hardest
2) P-51 was the hardest, but I've trained this to exhaustion now I can fly it;
3) Spitfire was always the easiest.

The Jug in particular was impossible for me until they've released the first patch. That changed everything.

As a general rule, for the three birds, I use this: 120 knots/mph on approach and in landing config, using throttle to maintain descent rate to -500 ~ -1000 fpm. And never, never ever cutting the throttle as crossing runway threshold, but maintaning the throttle at -500 fpm before touchdown...
Once at the runway threshold, roundout, don't flare, and let the bird touch down softly. Once on the ground, cut the throttle and let it roll down the runway filed.
No flare with 500fpm vertical - its not an airliner.

I try to make touchdown 300 ft down the runway threshold with acceptable v/s. Usually 3-point. In comparsion with P-51 its harder to determine hight because of poor forward visibility. So, wheel landing (if landing distance is not a factor) seems to be easier to perform. And yeah, steep approach to see where you're flying

Реальные хотелки к ЛО3 по Су-25 в основном...
ASRock PG9, i-5 9600KF, MSI 2080Ti, 32GB 3466

Last edited by GUMAR; 09-18-2020 at 04:17 PM.
GUMAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 09:04 PM   #14
Catseye

Quote:
Yes, that's the technique. Fly it on to the runway. I do that with power on. It takes a lot of runway, but it is the way to do it. And, for me, coming in low, helps a lot to refrain that excess energy.
An old video with Jeff Ethel flying shows just that.

Going from ancient memory, once lined up with the runway at approx 600 ft. alt., set flaps full and keep power on around 15% I think he said. Do not play with the throttle because of the torque. I can't recall the pitch settings but I do recall him keeping the approach around 130 knots. He leveled over the threshold and as the nose came up the speed dropped and he just flew it onto the runway gently cutting the throttle after wheels down.
Catseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 11:36 PM   #15
RodBorza

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemind_fly View Post
By this you mean don’t increase the AOA to much? if that’s what you want to say, I have the same impression with the P-51. By not pulling the stick to much the landings usually get smoother.
You don't pull to much. Just enough so you you are not able to see the horizon anymore.

Look at the picture below for a visual reference: This is the roundout after the threshold. Actually, the picture there is a bit exaggerated. A little less pitch up is fine.

Forward visibility is poor, so you will have to use the "Lindenbergh Line". Look out in YouTube for the Finer Points channel. The CFI there will tell you how to use the lateral references of the canopy to judge altitude and runway alignment. That's a big help on landing warbirds.

Last edited by RodBorza; 09-21-2020 at 11:42 PM.
Old 09-21-2020, 11:41 PM   #16
RodBorza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catseye View Post
An old video with Jeff Ethel flying shows just that.

Going from ancient memory, once lined up with the runway at approx 600 ft. alt., set flaps full and keep power on around 15% I think he said. Do not play with the throttle because of the torque. I can't recall the pitch settings but I do recall him keeping the approach around 130 knots. He leveled over the threshold and as the nose came up the speed dropped and he just flew it onto the runway gently cutting the throttle after wheels down.
Very nice. I'll look for it.