AI behavior - CAS for the 109?

Dino Might

I am trying to set up some AI 109s to do a strike against a truck convoy. I cannot for the life of me get them to actually engage the trucks.

I have tried:

Perform task: Attack Group

Perform enroute task: CAS

Perform enroute task: Search and engage in area

The targets are on the opposite coalition, the 109s have adequate fuel and ammo. The AI 109s simply get to the final waypoint over the trucks, then pitch up, gain altitude and immediately head home.

Not sure what's going on here. Anybody had luck assigning AI 109s to CAS roles?

Okay, finally figured something out - need to have plenty of fuel on board or they go home for "bingo fuel."

HOWEVER; I put "return on bingo fuel = no" on all waypoints, and nothing I do can prevent them from staying out there. I'd like to keep them around 40% fuel for maneuvering and to give them a 250lb bomb to start with, but I can't get them to stay out there even with unlimited fuel option checked.

I also can't figure out how to get the convoy to keep rolling after getting attacked - no "dispersion under fire" unchecked options seem to work.

Lastly, what settings are best for AI ground attack to not hit perfectly every single time - good? excellent seems to be a bit too precise.

Edited by Dino Might

I am trying to set up some AI 109s to do a strike against a truck convoy. I cannot for the life of me get them to actually engage the trucks.

Same for all / most AI aircraft is to have your attack commands on a waypoint approx 10-15km from your targets waypoint, so as to give the AI time to spot it and lineup on an attack run, any closer and they might not detect them and engage.

Regards, Ian.

Asus p877v-pro, Intel I7 3770k 4.2ghz, 32gb Ripjaw X ram, Nvidia RTX-2070 Super, Samsung 32" TV, Saitek x52 pro Joystick and Combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Win8.1 x64 with SSD and SSHD protected by (Avast AV).

DCS Tech Support.

Okay, finally figured something out - need to have plenty of fuel on board or they go home for "bingo fuel."

HOWEVER; I put "return on bingo fuel = no" on all waypoints, and nothing I do can prevent them from staying out there. I'd like to keep them around 40% fuel for maneuvering and to give them a 250lb bomb to start with, but I can't get them to stay out there even with unlimited fuel option checked.

Pilot just wants to live, no point going down due to lack of fuel. (Yes the option to not RTB doesn't do anything)

I also can't figure out how to get the convoy to keep rolling after getting attacked - no "dispersion under fire" unchecked options seem to work.

I've found setting it to 1 second works pretty good, turning it off doesn't work at all.

Lastly, what settings are best for AI ground attack to not hit perfectly every single time - good? excellent seems to be a bit too precise.

Called trial and error, try the different setting to try and get a result your happy with, average setting has him miss by a small margin and makes his eye sight worse, so he can't pickup targets quite as well in the first place.

Regards, Ian.

Asus p877v-pro, Intel I7 3770k 4.2ghz, 32gb Ripjaw X ram, Nvidia RTX-2070 Super, Samsung 32" TV, Saitek x52 pro Joystick and Combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Win8.1 x64 with SSD and SSHD protected by (Avast AV).

DCS Tech Support.

Thanks, Ian! Will try some more of this tomorrow.

By the way, were you on Blue Flag tonight? Callsign rings a bell. We were trying everything to keep you all from taking back Soganlug and Tblisi.

That or you were on the ACG WWII server? I can't remember where I was half the day - seems to be a common occurrence with me.

Thanks, Ian! Will try some more of this tomorrow.

By the way, were you on Blue Flag tonight? Callsign rings a bell. We were trying everything to keep you all from taking back Soganlug and Tblisi.

That or you were on the ACG WWII server? I can't remember where I was half the day - seems to be a common occurrence with me.

Definitely not me, but there are a few different maddogs about.

I almost never play multiplayer anymore, only with a fly buddy on my own server setup.

I did make a test mission to try out your requirements with my suggested options and it was working ok.

Cheers, Ian.

DCS Tech Support.

I got it working. Thanks for the help. Now for some fine tuning to get some nice scenes. The goal is to film two 109s attacking a truck convoy in the desert.

Regardless of historical relevance, I think it will help make a neat video, but I'm also looking for some historical data on JG27 and their ops in Africa vs. British Spitfires, if there were any.

My scene is going to be convoy attack by JG27 with response by British Spitfires. If there's any history of Spits engaging 109s (obviously not K-4s) in Africa, then I may change the setup, and I'd like to do a historical fiction on that.

If anyone has some background to provide or links, let me know! I'll post any research I find myself.