DCS A-10C QUESTIONS

Peyoteros

Silly question, but since the new map is coming out, will it work in the nav mfd?

I hope they get access to some 1944 sectional charts of the area... will make navigation interesting for sure.

DCS modules are built up to a spec, not down to a schedule.

In order to utilize a system to your advantage, you must know how it works.

• 2 weeks later...

I stumbled across something when entering UTM coordinates into CDU. I've always done a 4 step process of entering info.

1. Toggle L / L to UTM

2. Enter coordinates

3. Name waypt. and click upper right button to enter

4. Click 3rd button down on right (?1) to enter/save info as that number waypt.

After I entered coord., I typed in waypt name (tgt1) and accidentally clicked the ?1 button instead of upper right button and it named and saved it correctly.

• 2 weeks later...

SSD for sure!

I remember the days couple of years ago when SSDs were available, but not as wide spread and cheap as they are now. I had a SSD, but only a small one with no space left for complete DCS. I was the only one with DCS on a reg HDD. I was still sitting at the loading screen when I could already hear the others flying over TS.

• 3 weeks later...

EXTERNAL VIEW DO NOT WORKS WITH MOUSE

Occasionally switch to an external view (F2) or order by vaicon command I can no longer move that view.with mouse neither with the scroll wheel to zoom. I thought maybe it was because command from vaicon but also happen when i do not use this order. I can use the mouse to click on cockpit switches and such, so the mouse works fine .

any help will be wellcome, thanks

Occasionally switch to an external view (F2) or order by vaicon command I can no longer move that view.

I've noticed that when the comms menu is open. In order to regain mouse control over external views, just close the comms menu or finish the one you're about to send. Hope that helps. :thumbup:

Should I use lat/long or MGRS? What are the adv. and disadv. of both? If I pick one, should it remain consistent across my CDU, TAD, TGP, F10 Map, etc?

Also if I use one type, will JTAC ever give me a 9-line using the other type?

Two quick questions:

(1) Is there a way to padlock the view to SPI, so the pilot's head turns to look at the SPI as you maneuver?

(2) When I point the TAD at a target, the target appears as a small diamond in the HUD. When the gun reticule is over the diamond, the diamond disappears, which makes it slightly harder to aim precisely at the TAD target with the gun. Is there a way to make the diamond visible under the gun reticule?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Should I use lat/long or MGRS? ?
MGRS is what JTAC uses and the benefit is its easier to remember and enter into CDU being only 2 letters and 6 numbers.

Two quick questions:

(1) Is there a way to padlock the view to SPI, so the pilot's head turns to look at the SPI as you maneuver?

(2) When I point the TAD at a target, the target appears as a small diamond in the HUD. When the gun reticule is over the diamond, the diamond disappears, which makes it slightly harder to aim precisely at the TAD target with the gun. Is there a way to make the diamond visible under the gun reticule?

Thought there was a "padlock target" view but didn't find one in control list. As you approach targets make mental notes of anything around you can use for reference in spotting targets or finding them again if you lose sight. After making a pass I like to look back at target to get a visual from the direction I'll be coming back from. Not the same as padlock but a couple views I like to use are "Arcade" and "Ground Hostile" view.

There are a few different Gun Reticules you can use. One is a small crosshair that doesn't block out target indicator until you're right on top of it. I do think it disappearing is a good thing though, so you can more accurately aim at target not a symbol that's much larger.

I do think it disappearing is a good thing though, so you can more accurately aim at target not a symbol that's much larger.

Yeah, during gun runs it's good to have the gun pipper block out other HUD symbology so you can see better

how to get QNH info ? is it sets to my altimeter automaticly when flight starts ?

Hi,

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/showthread.php?2927-QNH-and-QFE

"This is also the value that AI ATC will give you when you are about to take off ***, and it is the value that the AI ATC will give you when you request inbound to a particular airfield. So it has lots of value with respect to the particular airfield you are at, but nothing else."

*** Ask the ATC for TAKE OFF

how to get QNH info ? is it sets to my altimeter automaticly when flight starts ?

Several ways.

For starters, the weather information in the briefing screen now shows the QNH. But in my experience it's actually off by a bit, at least in Nevada.

If you start on the ground, you can check the charts for your departure field or just use the F10 map and read the actual elevation. Then simply adjust your altimeter until it reads exactly that elevation and you've automatically got QNH. :thumbup:

If you start in the air, I actually don't know a good way to get a proper QNH.

Here's to hoping we'll see an ATC overhaul and/or and ATIS that you can just tune in to not too far in the future. :)

Hi,

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/showthread.php?2927-QNH-and-QFE

"This is also the value that AI ATC will give you when you are about to take off ***, and it is the value that the AI ATC will give you when you request inbound to a particular airfield. So it has lots of value with respect to the particular airfield you are at, but nothing else."

*** Ask the ATC for TAKE OFF

but im asking about QNH not QFE i already know atc gives me QFE

Several ways.

For starters, the weather information in the briefing screen now shows the QNH. But in my experience it's actually off by a bit, at least in Nevada.

If you start on the ground, you can check the charts for your departure field or just use the F10 map and read the actual elevation. Then simply adjust your altimeter until it reads exactly that elevation and you've automatically got QNH. :thumbup:

If you start in the air, I actually don't know a good way to get a proper QNH.

Here's to hoping we'll see an ATC overhaul and/or and ATIS that you can just tune in to not too far in the future. :)

thanks i hope atc will give us QNH QNE and other important things like falcon bms

So I was recently watching a ralfidude video where DevilDog gets both his wings destroyed but still manages to fly home. During the video, DevilDog rolls inverted even though he has no ailerons.

I asked ralfidude about how he was doing this, to which ralfidude replied that his rudders were providing bank. My question is:

How does this work? Can someone explain to me how the rudders provided bank?

So I was recently watching a ralfidude video where DevilDog gets both his wings destroyed but still manages to fly home. During the video, DevilDog rolls inverted even though he has no ailerons.

I asked ralfidude about how he was doing this, to which ralfidude replied that his rudders were providing bank. My question is:

How does this work? Can someone explain to me how the rudders provided bank?

The outer wing (stub) moves faster when you kick the rudder. Also, when you induce sideslip with the rudders, the air hits the top of the stabilizer more than the bottom and produces an additional rolling moment in the direction of the rudder input.

The outer wing (stub) moves faster when you kick the rudder. Also, when you induce sideslip with the rudders, the air hits the top of the stabilizer more than the bottom and produces an additional rolling moment in the direction of the rudder input.

Sounds plausible.

My explanation would be that during a yaw-turn, the wing on the inside of the turn gets less air-flow (because the fuselage now blocks some of the air from reaching the wing) while the wing on the outside of the turn maintains airflow, thus generating more lift than the inside wing, hence inducing a rolling momentum on the fuselage.

But I'm not sure whether this is even correct, or if all explanations are true and work in conjunction.

Sounds plausible.

My explanation would be that during a yaw-turn, the wing on the inside of the turn gets less air-flow (because the fuselage now blocks some of the air from reaching the wing) while the wing on the outside of the turn maintains airflow, thus generating more lift than the inside wing, hence inducing a rolling momentum on the fuselage.

But I'm not sure whether this is even correct, or if all explanations are true and work in conjunction.

I think its all of them put together.

For instance, even on a glider with very wide wings, there is a very strong rolling moment with even a little rudder.