Problem during landing - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 11-07-2019, 09:09 AM   #11
iFoxRomeo

Okay, I checked your Track.

It is not you fault.

(I would recomment to not let the engine run at that low power setting for such a "long time", 5 Minutes+)

Short version:
Below the tail wheel lock lever is a switch. Flip it to "MW Stoff".
Engine won´t die anymore.

Long version:
At first I thought it was spark plug fouling. So I took over the aircraft before the engine died. Throttle to Combat power, but still the engine died.
So I restarted the replay, took over control immediately, went to combat power, but still - the engine died.

I noticed that the engine was rough when applying emergency power and the MW50 indicator didn´t show any boot increase. So no MW50 for the engine despite the MW50 Switch in the on position(at mission start already). So I checked the "MW Stoff - Kraftstoff" switch and it was at "Kraftstoff" position. These switch positions are dangerous, especially in a training situation. Typically new K4-Pilots fly this mission.
So I checked the mission itself and the additional tank was set to MW50.

This means that the engine is running on MW50 till it is dies.
If you flip this switch a moment before the engine dies, it won´t die and you can use the extra power; so the MW50 tank is not empty.

Fox
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	K4_MW50.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	463.2 KB
ID:	220710  

Last edited by iFoxRomeo; 11-07-2019 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Image added
iFoxRomeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 11:22 AM   #12
jfri

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFoxRomeo View Post
Okay, I checked your Track.

It is not you fault.

(I would recomment to not let the engine run at that low power setting for such a "long time", 5 Minutes+)

Short version:
Below the tail wheel lock lever is a switch. Flip it to "MW Stoff".
Engine won´t die anymore.

Long version:
At first I thought it was spark plug fouling. So I took over the aircraft before the engine died. Throttle to Combat power, but still the engine died.
So I restarted the replay, took over control immediately, went to combat power, but still - the engine died.

I noticed that the engine was rough when applying emergency power and the MW50 indicator didn´t show any boot increase. So no MW50 for the engine despite the MW50 Switch in the on position(at mission start already). So I checked the "MW Stoff - Kraftstoff" switch and it was at "Kraftstoff" position. These switch positions are dangerous, especially in a training situation. Typically new K4-Pilots fly this mission.
So I checked the mission itself and the additional tank was set to MW50.

This means that the engine is running on MW50 till it is dies.
If you flip this switch a moment before the engine dies, it won´t die and you can use the extra power; so the MW50 tank is not empty.
Fox

Thank you for the help. I will try again later. Regarding flipping switch moment before engine dies. The problem is I don't know when that moment occur. Can I not flip it right away at start of tutorial ?
jfri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 11:49 AM   #13
iFoxRomeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfri View Post
Thank you for the help. I will try again later. Regarding flipping switch moment before engine dies. The problem is I don't know when that moment occur. Can I not flip it right away at start of tutorial ?
You´re welcome.

In the configuration of the aircraft for this mission (MW50 in the additional tank), this switch has to be flipped to MW Stoff before engine start.

So yes, flip it to MW Stoff as soon as you take controls. Don´t wait.

Fox
Old 11-07-2019, 04:42 PM   #14
Art-J
Veteran

Allright, but this still doesn't answer the question why the switch was in "fuel" position in the first place, because I've just checked the mission and sure enough, switch is in "MW" position, as it should be by default for all DCS players and why noone else has ever reported the same issue.

@Jfri - It clearly still is the individual problem of your hardware/game setup and the only reason why you didn't notice it in instant landing mission is because it's very short with plane already lined up for landing, while fuel contamination with water leading to engine failure takes some time. Landing tutorial mission is just long enough for it to happen.

Re-check your control assignments again. Commands for selector are named "MW/Fuel selector switch [...]". Do you use TARGET or any external software which could mess up your controls beyond DCS in-game settings?
Old 11-07-2019, 05:02 PM   #15
iFoxRomeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art-J View Post
Allright, but this still doesn't answer the question why the switch was in "fuel" position in the first place, because I've just checked the mission and sure enough, switch is in "MW" position, as it should be by default for all DCS players and why noone else has ever reported the same issue.

@Jfri - It clearly still is the individual problem of your hardware/game setup and the only reason why you didn't notice it in instant landing mission is because it's very short with plane already lined up for landing, while fuel contamination with water leading to engine failure takes some time. Landing tutorial mission is just long enough for it to happen.

Re-check your control assignments again. Commands for selector are named "MW/Fuel selector switch [...]". Do you use TARGET or any external software which could mess up your controls beyond DCS in-game settings?
You are right. Unfortunately I can´t change the view of his track before it starts. But I checked my mission and it was set to MW.

jfri, as Art-J suggested, check the following bindings to your hotas. It is actually not really necessary to have it on any button, as it is only set once, if at all, during a flight.

Fox
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mwfuel.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	220721  
Old 11-08-2019, 07:41 PM   #16
jfri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art-J View Post

When I tried the landing tutorial again that switch was indeed at MW position at start. Don't ask me why it was not so earlier. And now I have switch assigned to it if it is needed.
jfri is offline   Reply With Quote