[NO, NOT ACCURATE] ILS - ICLS airports

Padonis

I understand that many people wants a DCS F/A-18C as close to the real USN legacy hornet as possible. But I for myself would really love to see that ED implements a landbase ILS once the hornet is finished. DCS is a sim and as I like to operate the hornet also from air bases (and not only from carrier) it would be my biggest wish we would have the opportunity to enable landbase ILS as well. Yes I know the real USN legacy hornet doesn‘t have ILS (only ICLS) but all hardcore simmers can disable this function, all others (like me) can enable ILS :thumbup:

I understand that many people wants a DCS F/A-18C as close to the real USN legacy hornet as possible. But I for myself would really love to see that ED implements a landbase ILS once the hornet is finished. DCS is a sim and as I like to operate the hornet also from air bases (and not only from carrier) it would be my biggest wish we would have the opportunity to enable landbase ILS as well. Yes I know the real USN legacy hornet doesn‘t have ILS (only ICLS) but all hardcore simmers can disable this function, all others (like me) can enable ILS :thumbup:

Back to post 5 on page 1.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Mainboard: ASUS Maximus X Hero Intel Z 370

CPU: Intel Core i7-8086K @ 4.0 GHz

Memory: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-3000

Graphics Card: ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB

Monitor ASUS PA 329 32" @ 4K

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 256 GB

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 4 TB

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

CH Pro combatstick, throttle and pedals

If the hornet doesn't get standard ILS, why can't we instead get assets to place in the mission editor on the airfield that enables ICLS for that airbase?

As far as I gathered such equipment exists in the real world and would be reasonably employed if navy fighters had to land on land based air bases in bad weather.

This would both serve the realism of the simulation of the hornet not having ILS as well as give people the option to use ILS on airbases.

If the hornet doesn't get standard ILS, why can't we instead get assets to place in the mission editor on the airfield that enables ICLS for that airbase?

As far as I gathered such equipment exists in the real world and would be reasonably employed if navy fighters had to land on land based air bases in bad weather.

This would both serve the realism of the simulation of the hornet not having ILS as well as give people the option to use ILS on airbases.

Here, this very kind sir has provided, many thanks to him:

Gulf:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php...91&postcount=1

Cauc and NTTR

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.c...se_id=18561956

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

My 2 cents....

Most people here aren't going to do an ILS approach by the numbers using an approach plate. They also aren't going to do a non-precision approach using VOR/DME or TACAN properly. If you are one of those strange individuals who actually likes doing that stuff (like me ;)) then there is always the option to do a TACAN approach where the MDA (Minimum, Decent Altitude) is around 250 ft. If the FA-18 version modelled by ED has no ILS capability then IMHO they should not model it. In bad weather use TACAN approaches, if the field doesn't have TACAN and the field is IMC then you can't land there.. divert, simples... ;)

• Thanks 1

Windows 10 64 bit | Intel i5-9600k OC 5 Ghz | RTX 2080 |VENGEANCE® LPX 32GB DDR 4 OC 3200

Hotas Warthog | Logitech G Flight Rudder Pedals | Track IR 4

To solve this, since ED has allowed the skins of non-US users of the F/A-18 to be included in the base pack, having the ability to use a civilian based ILS/VORTAC/TACAN as an option. They've caved on many other non-real items, so why the push back now?

Just a point to note, RAAF F/A-18A Hornets (which are now pretty much upgraded to C standard) have ILS instead of ICLS. I believe RCAF ones may also do so. They're buying Australian Hornets anyway, so either way, if they don't, they're getting it soon.

To solve this, since ED has allowed the skins of non-US users of the F/A-18 to be included in the base pack, having the ability to use a civilian based ILS/VORTAC/TACAN as an option. They've caved on many other non-real items, so why the push back now?

Excellent question!

why the push back now?

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

Excellent question!

why the push back now?

Well You're talking about coding a system into an aircraft...that doesn't exist on the real aircraft. Personally...I don't want extra code wandering around in the game just because people don't want to learn to use the Navigation systems available to them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

Please forgive me for my lack of knowledge but can someone explain how to do a land based Tacan approach in IMC?

If no Tacan, how do I land at an airport in IMC? (Or, do I?)

The Hornet is best at killing things on the ground. Now, if we could just get a GAU-8 in the nose next to the AN/APG-65, a titanium tub around the pilot, and a couple of J-58 engines in the tail...

Please forgive me for my lack of knowledge but can someone explain how to do a land based Tacan approach in IMC?

Depends on how bad the IMC is. If the ceilings are lower than 300-400 ft, you’re going to need a PAR to get safely below the weather and land.

If they’re above that, then you fly a 3-degree descent based on distance from the TACAN. If you want to be at 0 ft at the runway, then you want to be at 300 ft one mile out, 600 ft two miles out, etc. So depending on where you intercept the final approach course, you’ll either descend or maintain your altitude to hit those checkpoints. Let’s say you intercept the course at 5 miles and 1000 feet. Hold your altitude until you hit about 3.2 to 3.3 miles out. At that distance, start descending at a 3-degree descent gradient. The technique I use is half the groundspeed and add a 0 to determine the desired VSI.

That’s how you essentially build an instrument approach from scratch. You should try to fly a published approach whenever possible. You can find those on Skyvector.

Well, if there’s an approach plate, you fly the procedure as published.

If there’s no published approach you divert to an airport where conditions are VMC.

(In the real world, you could maybe get a PAR or Radar-Guided approach)

• Thanks 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/flight_info/aeronav/digital_products/aero_guide/media/editions/cug-tpp-edition.pdf

Answers the first question...

The second question would be found in regulations that dictate what visibility is required for different approaches for different weather conditions. For different skill level pilots...but the long and short of it...if you can't fly an instrument approach and don't have the required minimum weather conditions to land...you don't land. You got to your alternate.

Edited by Sierra99

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

You would need the approach plate. This is the approach plate for the HI TCN 21L at Nellis. You can fly this in game as the tacan is already there. You’ll need to pay close attention to the descent rates and the distances to the tacan at each step of the approach.

https://aeronav.faa.gov/d-tpp/1908/00227HTZ21L.PDF

Airnav.com has the US airports.

Without tacan, you’d have to figure out how to get below the clouds and acquire the field visually, basically scud running.

Thanks, guys. I got my work cut out for me! But, that's the fun of it all. :)

The Hornet is best at killing things on the ground. Now, if we could just get a GAU-8 in the nose next to the AN/APG-65, a titanium tub around the pilot, and a couple of J-58 engines in the tail...

Thanks, guys. I got my work cut out for me! But, that's the fun of it all. :)

I would add that DCS isn't really set up for this kind of flying training, you have to remember pilots train for hundreds of hours to become IMC rated, doing a step-down approach in a fighter is actually quite difficult, GPS makes it easier if you have the relevant waypoints (approach fix etc.) programmed but it still relies on you being able to fly with no visibility very accurately. It is FUN when you get it right on a simulator though, not so sure about the real thing ;)

Windows 10 64 bit | Intel i5-9600k OC 5 Ghz | RTX 2080 |VENGEANCE® LPX 32GB DDR 4 OC 3200

Hotas Warthog | Logitech G Flight Rudder Pedals | Track IR 4

• 2 years later...

Hi guys!
ILS and IСLS differ only in the set of equipment. The aircraft carrier does not have a long-range and short-range radio beacon.
The radio frequency ranges are the same as for ILS.
Therefore, I see no problem adding IСLS to airfields.

2 hours ago, Dan922 said:

The radio frequency ranges are the same as for ILS.

No. ICLS operates in the 15 GHz range. ILS = 108.1-111.95 MHz (LOC) / 329.15-335 MHz (GP). ICLS uses pulse-coded scanning beams (similar to MLS), while ILS uses space modulated AM. TL;DR: while they appear similar to the user, the systems have very little in common.

That being said, deployable ICLS beacons do exist, and hopefully ED will include this in the sim at some pont in time, like they did with the portable TACAN.

• Like 3