Piston engine training

Seaside

Hey : Would someone be able to provide a link for some piston engine, engine management training ?

There are dozens of takeoff and landing videos but I'm looking for something more to a "How to get the most out of and not break your engine at various altitudes" video. I've gathered some info (2700ish rpm) etc, but things like mixture/prop pitch, manifold pressures, radiator etc.

I typically break my engine before I get shot down.

For some reason my searches haven't quite found what I'm looking for.

Thanks for any help.

For which aircraft?

But usually there is a manual in the Doc folder for each aircraft that tells you the limits and powersettings that you need to watch out for. And Mixture/Prop pitch is usually automatic for the warbirds in DCS currently.

For which aircraft?

But usually there is a manual in the Doc folder for each aircraft that tells you the limits and powersettings that you need to watch out for. And Mixture/Prop pitch is usually automatic for the warbirds in DCS currently.

Right now P-51 & Spit. Soon (Hopefully )P-47 & Mosquito.

I tend to absorb things better from a video.

Guess that's why I couldn't find things on mixture etc. :)

Thanks

You don't really need a video to be honest. Look at the table which is located on the right side somewhere on which you got the engine settings.

Use continuous power for level flight. Climb/combat power for climbing/combat, and if you really need it, emergency power for emergency/combat. And of course always look from time to time on the temperature to make sure you don't overheat your engine.

Hey : Would someone be able to provide a link for some piston engine, engine management training ?

There are dozens of takeoff and landing videos but I'm looking for something more to a "How to get the most out of and not break your engine at various altitudes" video. I've gathered some info (2700ish rpm) etc, but things like mixture/prop pitch, manifold pressures, radiator etc.

I typically break my engine before I get shot down.

For some reason my searches haven't quite found what I'm looking for.

Thanks for any help.

I would suggest that you consult the link to the Tutorial Library in my signature, especially the P-51 and Spitfire guides. In the engine management sections, I do explain what engine limits to respect at all times and what to do if you exceed momentarily these limits. The truth with warbirds is that there is no single engine setting that will suddenly make you outperform everyone else. Each power setting needs to be used in a specific situation (combat, takeoff, climb, cruise). It's useless to go for max power when you are cruising unless you are pursuing a target you've already acquired.

Sure, some people try to milk every additional mph of their aircraft by manually closing their radiator just enough to gain 5-10 mph more... but the lack of radiator position indicator on either aircraft makes it more a safety risk than anything the second you need to manoeuver.