I fear for the future

Hi

The recent switch in 2.5.5 has shown us how mods could be become obsolete in just one update of DCS.

Some of authors have updated their mods to be usable in 2.5.5, some others had the kindness to take time to create mods to replace the objects that are no longer working in 2.5.5,( Dimitriov :smilewink: ) but despite that, we have today many objects that are not working anymore and their authors havn't given sign of life since months or years. Ok, all their work is absolutly free and they gave us their work just with kindness. But today, we all can see that the user's file section become poorer and poorer. Just now skins and missions, sometimes sounds and rarely mods are published today in this section. If we want to be aware of the new mods, we have to come on this part of the forum. And we can see that authors like Ranger79, Joe-Rowe, Uputaut, Hawkeye60, Grinnelli.... and all these persons having given, only by kindness, the possibility to enhance a lot DCS with items giving life in our missions, aren't present here anymore despite the fact that many people like me are using intensively their mods in the missions we're building. So, what will happen if the future 2.5.6 make these mods unusable ? I fear for the future !

CPU: I7-6700K 4Ghz, GC: nVidia GeForce Titan X Gigabytes, 32 Go DDR4, Motherboard: Gigabytes Z170X-Gaming 3. OS: W10-Family, 3 HD Samsung SSD 850 Pro 1TB + 1 Samsung SSD EVO 500 Gb. Oculus Rift CV1

That's just the nature of software and especially game development. It's the same with other games. If the game gets updated extensively, then mods need to be updated as well in order to keep working. That applies to user made mods the same way as it doesn to official modules. That's the reason why the Hawk (an official 3rd party module) can't be used in current DCS versions anymore, because their devs (VEAO) are gone. To prevent this from happening ED would have to stop updating DCS. I don't want that.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

To prevent this from happening ED would have to stop updating DCS. I don't want that.

I'd never said that. It's just an ascertainment.

It's little hard to say and certainly, some will surely think that I exagerate but when you create a mod and you share it with others by kindness and altruism and you receive lot of congratulations and thanks. Somewhere you feel pride when you see that your work is used intensivly by others and that means that you've done a good work. But you must think that if people are using your work and spending (a lot of) time to built missions using your work, you have henceforth the duty to maintain it updated. If you havn't time anymore or planned impossibility or the willingness to update your work for any good reason, this could be a question of respect to others, to share your models with the community to allow other devs to update the mods you'd created and that you can't update yourself anymore.

Edited by jef32

CPU: I7-6700K 4Ghz, GC: nVidia GeForce Titan X Gigabytes, 32 Go DDR4, Motherboard: Gigabytes Z170X-Gaming 3. OS: W10-Family, 3 HD Samsung SSD 850 Pro 1TB + 1 Samsung SSD EVO 500 Gb. Oculus Rift CV1

That's the reason why I will not update beyond 2.5.4. All the mods I have work in that version. I fly WWII only and since there has been no additional objects made available by the developers which I would use in WWII missions, I won't update further. I don't need additional 109's or 190's ( one of each is enough as there is only one 51).

I won't spend one more cent on DCS and if they stop supporting 2.5.4, I'll fly another sim. Plain and simple.

Very narrow-minded of you Deacon. The Anton would make a great adversary for the MkIX Spitfire. But hey, it's your choice.

I just accept that progress is progress, and you either commit to keeping stuff up to date, or it will just fall by the wayside. Such is the reality of software evolution. Or are you saying FS9 was the ultimate and we don't ever need anything better?

..., you have henceforth the duty to maintain it updated.

I dont agree with this at all.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

you have henceforth the duty to maintain it updated. If you havn't time anymore or planned impossibility or the willingness to update your work for any good reason, this could be a question of respect to others, to share your models with the community to allow other devs to update the mods you'd created and that you can't update yourself anymore.

Excuse me? Duty? respecto to others? Creating a mod involves tons of time, seeing how ED doesn't want us in their field and trys to restrict the mod creation is tiring. And no, I don't want to share my mods with others, simply cause I can't. Thanks.

Edited by Stratos

I don't understand anything in russian except Davai Davai!

Yep. Spending 1000 h on a mod is not to be underestimated. Sharing it is nothing else than a generous action. On my side I have my own squad, if I don't want to share something here, I use it in my squad. If I share it and that it dies, my best answer is : learn how to mod and make yours. I don't have any duty toward anyone, I'm already nice enough to share my work for free while I could spend this time to earn money.

On my side this is exactly because of this kind of feeling, where people here think that they "deserve" what I give them and that I owe them something, that I won't be sharing any of my other creation on this section (And god knows that I have many). Call this the way you want, truth is that at the end of the day : I spend lot of time on producing something, you 5 minutes to download it. By thinking like this, you simply loose talented people, but on our side, we've got our discords/websties/TS/Mumble and we keep making fun things in our cave. And we have fun. That's the main point of modding : have fun. People who want to put financial consideration in it, or who think that we owe them something once we released the stuff simply obtain that loads of talented modders, yesterday as today, leave this place and do their stuff on their side, for themselves. Because no, there is no pride in getting our mod downloaded, we're simply happy to get people to have fun with our creations. We've got lifes aside where we have many more valuable occasions to be proud.

And this is a reason not to be neglicted which explains why some very famous modders don't appear here anymore ;)

Modders are not 3rd parties or ED devs. We don't get paid for what we do. We're generous, you're not our customers, you're nothing else than lucky children. And there is only one way to act when a lucky child makes his whim. Deal with it :)

And no, we are not going to share models as they are ours and some very high poly ones could be sold at high price on 3D markets.

Nicolas

Edited by dimitriov

So, what will happen if the future 2.5.6 make these mods unusable ? I fear for the future !

Modders are on the hook to update their mods to remain compatible with DCS. If mods were abandoned long time ago, they will become obsolete unless somebody else starts to maintain them to keep them current.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Excuse me? Duty? respecto to others? Creating a mod involves tons of time, seeing how ED doesn't want us in their field and trys to restrict the mod creation is tiring. And no, I don't want to share my mods with others, simply cause I can't. Thanks.

As I said, sharing a mod isnt't obligatory at all. You don't want to share the mods you're making with others, it's your absolute right and no one can say nothing about. But what will happen after the bad experience of the 2.5.5 switch?

Surely that many people will think that it's useless to download mods anymore since they risk to not working one day and crashing down hours and hours of work to built missions. That's what happened for me with the 2.5.5 and even if Dimitriov had gently made some items to replace some Ranger pack items, I spent hours and hours to try to correct the missions I've made. Nobody is forced to share a mod but if you do it, think a little to people using these mods. You're working hard to make a mod, I'm absolutly aware about that, but people using it can work hardly too to elaborate triggers and sophisticated missions using your mods. If you share it, and have no intentions to update, and that you don't want to share your models with the community, just say that the MAJ for the future versions of DCS will not be supported and I will not download the mod to not have a bad surprise later. Read the forum and see how many users are complaining with mods not working anymore since the 2.5.5. It's available for the mods using objects or planes. I don't speak about terrain mods like Mustang's mod. This kind of mod don't involve user's work, just a big big work for the modder. If, one day, it doesn't work anymore, it will not crash down hours and hours of building missions for the users.

Dimitriov, see C6, the topic about F1. I don't absolutly minimize the work of a modder. Especially your work and you give us, tons of hapiness using your mods. All that I want to say is that modders must be aware that not following the updates of DCS can make a mod unuseful involving the lost of hours of work downstream your work.It's like if someone offers a present but say that you willn't can use this present anymore in some months.

- DCS will be updated in the future

- Mods will brake because of that

- ED is NOT responsible for user made mods

- some will not update them (understandable and fine with it)

- some will update their mods (thanks a lot!)

comes down to this, maybe sad for some mods, but having an evolving DCS is more important.

However, it WOULD be nice to have the user mod section on the website cleaned up.

PS:

Thanks to all modders for their work.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"There's nothing to be gained by second guessing yourself.

You can't remake the past, so look ahead... or risk being left behind."

Noli Timere Messorem

"No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always been there first, and is waiting for it."

Terry Pratchett

Have I said somewhere that ED is reponsible of mods not working anymore ?

Have I said somewhere that ED would stop to upgrade DCS ?

its a general statement not directed to a specific person, a short fact list if you will.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"There's nothing to be gained by second guessing yourself.

You can't remake the past, so look ahead... or risk being left behind."

Noli Timere Messorem

"No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always been there first, and is waiting for it."

Terry Pratchett

aye constant updates miff me off too yous aint alone get it working right, then build the,new planes to suit the build and stop to change the build to suite new planes ¬¬

nice to see thing sliek the harrier f14s etc

but am also appreciative of al the mods and i feel for the poor buggers that spend hurs on them only to be fubard by eagles updates and another gripe i have DCS (DIGITAL COMBAT SIMULATOR) when the f(*&!!) hell do we have things liek the christen eagle ffs wana fy arobatics buy flight sim x or fs9 something to leave more space in the game and n ur systems for COMBAT planes just my gripe didnt get DCS to see cack civilian machines

Hi

The recent switch in 2.5.5 has shown us how mods could be become obsolete in just one update of DCS.

Some of authors have updated their mods to be usable in 2.5.5, some others had the kindness to take time to create mods to replace the objects that are no longer working in 2.5.5,( Dimitriov :smilewink: ) but despite that, we have today many objects that are not working anymore and their authors havn't given sign of life since months or years. Ok, all their work is absolutly free and they gave us their work just with kindness. But today, we all can see that the user's file section become poorer and poorer. Just now skins and missions, sometimes sounds and rarely mods are published today in this section. If we want to be aware of the new mods, we have to come on this part of the forum. And we can see that authors like Ranger79, Joe-Rowe, Uputaut, Hawkeye60, Grinnelli.... and all these persons having given, only by kindness, the possibility to enhance a lot DCS with items giving life in our missions, aren't present here anymore despite the fact that many people like me are using intensively their mods in the missions we're building. So, what will happen if the future 2.5.6 make these mods unusable ? I fear for the future !

Most of the Mods no longer working are using an EDM Format that's at least 3 years old.

As the Graphics Engine Evolves and Even more so when it moves from DiriectX to VULKAN, older EDM Formats and Materials will be Phased out of support.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Advancement has to happen. This is the most amazing sim and gives myself and others such enjoyment. My only problem is that I wish I was wealthy enough to get all the latest kit to make this really sing. I try to put so much into my missions and have to remove some stuff as it starts to pack up and that's the same for a lot of people. If a mod doesn't work, I just keep my eyes out for something new or save a little money to get a module or two in the sales.

That said, I will do my best to keep it going. Tallyho

Cheers

Edited by tmansteve

However, ED should add a property to every files added to the upload section where the modder would say on which version the mod was tested. They could also update it with the edit function.

If not, the section will get filled with legacy mods that no longer work and people would lose trust to download from there.

However, ED should add a property to every files added to the upload section where the modder would say on which version the mod was tested. They could also update it with the edit function.

The Modder can already do that on the description field. Also, if a user finds an outdated Mod, they could state that on the Mod's comments section.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

I just had some explanations by Dimitriov. Honestly, I thought that updating a mod with the new plugins standards given by ED, was a few minutes affair.

That's why I didn't understand that mods weren't updated. On a french site, in our language, Dimitriov has just explained me that updating a mod wasn't a few minutes affair but needed some hours of work, even if the moder own the models. I thought that only the creation of a model needed a big work and not the updating.

Now, I feel drastically less enthusiastic to use, in my missions, the mods which I'm not sure to have an update following DCS updates but the official library of ED is so poor....

Now, I feel drastically less enthusiastic to use, in my missions, the mods which I'm not sure to have an update following DCS updates but the official library of ED is so poor....

On my case, I will keep using Mods on the missions that I edit and I will enjoy them, no point in expecting the missions to last for a lifetime ... as the DCS updates can break any mission, even those that dont use any Mod at all.

This thread has actually served no useful purpose, other than upseting many Mod authors .. we already lost the fabulous Star Wars Mod because of petty minds that expressed mean comments on that Mod's thread, instead of enjoying what the Mod author had freely shared with us ... I wonder how many more Mod authors do you want to lose :(

Edited by Rudel_chw

I wonder how many more Mod authors do you want to lose :(

I don't want to loose nobody and we agree that this thread is only about mods adding objects and vehicles in the library. All mods enhancing DCS graphics or terrain or sounds or cockpits aren't concerned by this thread. Why? Because they needn't a work from users after and if one day, they wern't updated, that will only return DCS to its graphics, terrain or sound by defaut.

On my case, I will keep using Mods on the missions that I edit and I will enjoy them, no point in expecting the missions to last for a lifetime ... as the DCS updates can break any mission, even those that dont use any Mod at all.

This thread has actually served no useful purpose, other than upseting many Mod authors .. we already lost the fabulous Star Wars Mod because of petty minds that expressed mean comments on that Mod's thread, instead of enjoying what the Mod author had freely shared with us ... I wonder how many more Mod authors do you want to lose :(

I agree 100%

aye luckily i got the s tarwars pack before hand and am very much enjoying it

im gutted weve lost all the vnc planes tough loved flying that tornado

i think if this continues and dcs doesnt think of the modders when it does 5000 updates a month

i wont spend any more cash on on them ill roll back to a version where the mods worked and stay there all i see is one update that destroyed hundres of hours of moders work ,,,gutted for them