[RESOLVED]severe pitch & roll/yaw oscillations at high IAS

bbrz

Same here, but since it took only a few seconds of acceleration after showing the severe pitch oscillations (starting above 600kias) I simply kept max pwr to show the yaw/roll 'problem'.

i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 16GB, GTX 1070 

Make sure you are not flying in landing gaines. I experienced this when I had the air refuel door open.

I experienced this as well ~400 KIAS, and I think I also had the air refuel door open.

i5-9600k @ 5.0 GHz| Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | 32 GB Trident G.Skill RAM @ 3200 MHz | Thermaltake Floe Riing 360 AIO | Samsung EVO 860 500 GB SSD | Crucial MX500 500 GB M.2 | SanDisk 1TB SSD | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Ultra Gaming | EVGA G3 850W Gold PSU | Thermaltake View 71 TG Snow Edition | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFC Crosswind pedals | Oculus Rift-S

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Make sure you are not flying in landing gaines. I experienced this when I had the air refuel door open.

+1 flying at ~400+kn at ~18000ft everything is ok until i use the AAR switch, slight movement on the throttle results in up and down oscilation, using the switch agian stops it immediate. I had this down and fast also yesterday, i believe i used the AAR switch too. Attached is a short track showing the behaviour.

F16_shaking.trk

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

Not sure if it modeled correctly in DCS, but the real aircraft has a speed limit for the door in transition from close to open (and vise versa) and open. The limit is 400 knots or mach .85 ( which ever is less) for transition and 400 knot or mach .95 for the door open.

Maybe this is ED's ways of simulating what happens if door is open above the limit, since the manuals never say what would happen.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Not sure if it modeled correctly in DCS, but the real aircraft has a speed limit for the door in transition from close to open (and vise versa) and open. The limit is 400 knots or mach .85 ( which ever is less) for transition and 400 knot or mach .95 for the door open.

Maybe this is ED's ways of simulating what happens if door is open above the limit, since the manuals never say what would happen.

True statement. But also be aware that when the Air refuel door is open the Viper is in landing gains...those gains are not made for speeds above 400kts. But now that I remember the Digital FLCS will cycle from Takeoff and landing gains to cruise gains whenever speed is above 400kts and the air refuel door is open or ALT flaps extended. The analog FLCS had the problem going over 400kts and doing funky stuff. So this is a bug and should not happen with DFLCS

Edited by Bouli306

I'm experiencing the pitch problem only above 600kts and the refueling door is definitely closed.

Talking about take off and landing gain.....Hope the correct the FLCS gain trigger soon.

Presently the changeover happens only at the end position of the gear, which means that you can't perform any airshow like pitch up or rapid roll into a turn immediately after unstick.

Edited by bbrz

i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 16GB, GTX 1070 

Had the pitch oscillation happen once in a 770+ steep dive before the patch as well. Cat I, clean bird on an acrobatics server, refueling door definitely closed.

Thought it might have been just me.

Win10 Pro | i7-9700K @5.0GHz | 2080 Super @2160MHz | 32GB DDR4 3600 | DCS on 1TB M.2 NVME | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswinds V2 | HP Reverb | Huion 640P | Jetpad FSE | PointCTRL

Had this last night. (post patch) at 500 ft and starting about 490 kts (becomes more extreme as airspeed increases) the rudder starts overcompensating after any type input (especially roll) and causes Yaw oscillation until I reduce airspeed back below the onset speed.

I went to external view looking up the tail pipe and watched the rudder doing this.

I've done some tests in different weather and different altitudes. My suspicion is that the FLCS is overcorrecting it's yaw inputs when there are external forces acting on the aircraft. So when you're (too) fast at sea level and the aircraft starts buffeting the rudder starts freaking out. Same thing if you're flying below 400 knots at low level with turbulence and wind. The FLCS seems to be seems to be constantly overcorrecting with it's yaw inputs. However, in bad weather as soon as I climb above roughly 3000 ft ASL it seems to just fade away. Then if I start descending below 3000 ft again it starts jerking around again. I know how turbulence is portrayed in DCS and it's definitely not caused simply by turbulence. If anyone else can confirm that this is infact the case and not just the ramblings of a mad man, that'd be much appreciated.

-Col. Russ Everts opinion on surface-to-air missiles: "It makes you feel a little better if it's coming for one of your buddies. However, if it's coming for you, it doesn't make you feel too good, but it does rearrange your priorities."

DCS Wishlist:

MC-130E Combat Talon   |   F/A-18F Lot 26   |   HH-60G Pave Hawk   |   E-2 Hawkeye/C-2 Greyhound   |   EA-6A/B Prowler   |   J-35F2/J Draken   |   RA-5C Vigilante

Usually between 400-430 Kts IAS my F16 will oscillate severally in pitch. If I look at the stabilizer it is fluctuating up and down rapidly. Outside of this airspeed window it stops. I always have bombs and cat 111 switch set. Any ideas?

Not experienced any problem with yaw.

I just had this problem for the first time today, I was around mach 1 low with 500lbs of fuel, and had fired all my weapons, just had empty pylons, and it began to oscillate in pitch, and it got so bad that my pilot blacked out and then I crashed into the ground.

I'll check the tacview with here in a bit but I'm almost 100% sure I wasn't hit by anything.

*edit* yea just checked tacview, I wasn't hit, oscillations start at low altitude around mach 1, I decreased speed to try to recover, but it got worse and around 0.83 mach my pilot blacked out from the oscillations and soon after crashed into the ground.

Edited by Kazansky222

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

64th "Scorpions" Aggressor Squadron

Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron

TS: 195.201.110.22

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a short video showing the pitch oscillations <800kias, up to over 9.5 G when the player blacks out.

As you can see, only slowing down isn't enough to get out of the situation, the pilot even has to input pitch up to get out of it. (today exactly 1 month since it was reported)

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

This pitch oscillation happens at low fuel. It may have something to do with an altered centre of gravity and the flight control computer and flight model. If the C/G moves aft towards instability with fuel consumption it make a plane hunt in pitch. It also makes control of the longitudinal axis in pitch, difficult. If the flight control computers or more specifically the tailerons lacked fidelity or speed they would effectively lag behind attempting to control an unstable longitudinal axis.

Also if the C/G is moving aft with fuel consumption it effectively puts more aircraft ahead of it. There is more mass ahead of the C/G. Try throwing a dart tail first.

Since this is only a video game my explanation bears no consideration.

Edited by backstab

• 3 weeks later...

Side-to-side wiggle still occuring after short rudder input at 500 lbs fuel at Mach 1.2, is this realistic behaviour?

SelfIncreasingSideWiggle.trk

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence