[CANT REPRODUCE] BIG FPS DROP WITH FLOOD LIGHTS

JTFF - Raph

Hi, noticed this aswell, around 30fps quite a big drop.

So i definitely understand if people with lower end hardware having issues.

(Level flight, single aircraft in editor)

8700k @4,8ghz, 32gb ram, RTX 2080ti

2560x1440, 4xmsaa, Shadows High, Cockpit global illumination off, SSAA off

What's the delta in GPU/CPU (per core) utilization between floodlights on and off? That should be a good place to start narrowing down the source. I haven't noticed the issue myself, but that might be because I play at a 4K panel locked at 60FPS.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Im also running my panel limited to 60fps using RTSS. But it's easy to spot when i turn v-sync off and let the frames rise as high as possible, when the frames are stable i turn on all instrument + flood lights and on my end my frames drops from around 160-130 (depending on graphics settings).

Im also running my panel limited to 60fps using RTSS. But it's easy to spot when i turn v-sync off and let the frames rise as high as possible, when the frames are stable i turn on all instrument + flood lights and on my end my frames drops from around 160-130 (depending on graphics settings).
Sorry, I was unclear. My monitor is 60Hz, can't go more. Anyway, so what you're saying is that it's GPU related? What's the difference in GPU usage with floodlights on and off? I'm not at home, otherwise I'd check myself. It might be useful to get a screenshot of your settings and give your GPU model as well.
Edited by Harker

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-

What's the delta in GPU/CPU (per core) utilization between floodlights on and off? That should be a good place to start narrowing down the source. I haven't noticed the issue myself, but that might be because I play at a 4K panel locked at 60FPS.

sorry you can not notice anything because you have a super computer, graphics card, etc. Your comment does not contribute much in my opinion, except fill the thread of useless comments that do not help anything to those who do not have a super equipment like you. Good afternoon

sorry you can not notice anything because you have a super computer, graphics card, etc. Your comment does not contribute much in my opinion, except fill the thread of useless comments that do not help anything to those who do not have a super equipment like you. Good afternoon
Looking past the irony of your comment, I was just saying that since my monitor can't display more than 60 FPS, I can't notice a drop from 100 fps to 70 fps, for example, because I can't have 100 fps in the first place. I cap my FPS to 60, because that's what my monitor displays, meaning that my GPU could be going from 70% to 95% with floodlights enabled and I wouldn't know. And I can't test, because I'm not home.

I was asking for full performance metrics for the CPU and GPU, alongside the hardware used (a screenshot of the settings used is also useful), because it's more useful to the devs than "xx fps drop", without knowing anything else. You have a nice afternoon yourself.

-

You are wasting your time please don't leave comments without a track or anything else that can help ED

Modules: Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Normandie, FC3, CA, Super Carrier, A-10C, A-10C II, F/A-18C, F-16 C, F-14 B, SA342, and WWII stuff.

Hardware: I7 8700K, Geforce GTX 1080Ti 11Go OC, 32Gb RAM, screen resolution 2K

Devices: Hotas Warthog, Cougar MFDs, Saitek rudder pedals, Track IR

My squadron: http://jtff.fr/SITE/

Ok on the ressources monitor I see CPU and Drive hight value of usage. I can't see anything about the GPU because the device is used at 100% every time.

Flood lights activation is in the red square

194442294_Sanstitre.png.3d2b47fd4f23c28e5a2cbd86121976fb.png

Modules: Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Normandie, FC3, CA, Super Carrier, A-10C, A-10C II, F/A-18C, F-16 C, F-14 B, SA342, and WWII stuff.

I'm confirming the FPS drop for floodlights in VR:

GyyrFuVhlPw

It also happens in the daytime.

Edited by DerekSpeare

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

An update to report that I checked this during the daytime and the same issue happens. Off = 90, On = 45 :/

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

In an effort to help ED change the "[CANT REPRODUCE]" to "[iNVESTIGATING]" perhaps it would be good to provide the type of VR hardware being using.

I am using the Oculus Rift and I DO HAVE the fps drop with floodlights.

If others come in who are having the same issue, include your VR hardware as well. Since there are three distinct ways to VR in DCS - i.e. Steam VR, WMR and Oculus - let's help ED by indicating the type to determine if it's all of the VR methods or if it's more isolated.

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

I tested this again on a second PC, this one running WMR/SteamVR. I can report that it also has the same issue. The floodlights drop the frame rates by about 25%.

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

• 2 weeks later...

+1, I noted this primarily in the Batumi area with the F16. When I am stationary on the ramp/runway looking 360 no problem. After takeoff I turn north over the town towards the harbor I get this FPS dro, but only towards the land and not towards the sea. It then goes away until I pass the two unused runways (X) and then it starts again in the Kubeleti area where there are large forest areas with trees.

I get the same effect in the M2000, F18 & Harrier when the flood lights are on. No drop with any other light settings and only in cockpit view.

1080p Non-VR, I7 & 32 GB ram with 1080ti, settings high.

Hi there,

There is a conflict between consoles and instrument flood lights.

It's maybe one of the causes of performance loss in this other thread https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=252272

Notice that this thread has still the status "can't reproduce" but there is a 20-25% of FPS loss for most of the users. Should be a verified issue now I think :)

Here is a screenshot of the cockpit glitch, it makes black squares spinning all arround the consoles:

[ATTACH]222016[/ATTACH]

I noticed that when turned on all the cockpit light dials at the same time. Especially noticeable when you turn on both cockpit and instrument flood lights. I noticed it also went away when, starting from all dials to max, I reduced the instr. backlight dial to ~20-30%.

-

I noticed that when turned on all the cockpit light dials at the same time. Especially noticeable when you turn on both cockpit and instrument flood lights. I noticed it also went away when, starting from all dials to max, I reduced the instr. backlight dial to ~20-30%.

Oops sorry I did a mistake, I think with the link of this thread in the message! I'll create this one in another :)

edit: this one now https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=4122362#post4122362

Edited by FrM | Raph
wrong place

Hi! Do you guys have any news about this one?

it is still available and ...

it is not a problem of the F-16 only !!

my workaround - i let the flood lights off while i have FPS problems

little test :)

I openend the canopy in flight ...

the canopy disapeared and the FPS came back :D

but another suggestion ...

when it is not reproducable, what may the reason for this behaviour ?

metashaders and fxo are deleted with every update (for me!)

NVidia driver on newest version ...

no mods for grafics ...

i have no idea why :(

an usb port that was to slow ? no :D

Edited by caponi

too much ...

Now with Datalink + Flood lights my 100 FPS drops to 1-3 per second so I cannot fly by night with. It's worst than it begun, when I was closing SA I was recovering perfs, now it is not working so it's unflyable :/

i havent had flood lights issue in vr, butF16 suffers from terrible frames... and it has to be the module.. i get pretty much 45 fps in any other module in the air on the deck whatever at whatever speed.... f16 try to fly... 22 at best but mostly jumping between 11/22 fps... leterally unplayable because it makes me sick.... no tracks to give.. most time on MP and hours upon hours....

(grumpyfinn)

vanilla install except moltars sound pack (tried running without no difference)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]GrumpyFinn

• 3 weeks later...

Just switched to RTX2070 card form an AMD. fired up DCS jumped in F-16 cold and dark at Nevada in VR. All was fine, except when I then turned on the lights. Firstly turned on all of the panel lights which was fine.

Still getting 23fps (Need to find some good settings for VR). Then, when I turned on the flood lights. Everything went weird. It's like the game had frozen the image and the textures basically looked like the roughtmet inside the canopy. The game hadn't crashed as I managed to pause and exit to the menu. Did this a couple of times to confirm that indeed this does happen to the F16 floodlights. F18 was no issue and neither was the F14