Landing in DCS 1.5.6

jazz5150

Can anybody give some advice concerning landing the Mig in DCS 1.5.6?

Up to 1.5.5 I flew the plane to the runway and landed at 300 - 340 km/h.

If I try that now I bounce from the runway, loose my gear, or both.

If I try landing slower at 240/250 km/h I am unable to fly the glide slope I am used to and land with too high AoA and crash the plane.

Any pointers on how to land the plane with the new landing performance will be most welcome.

Unfortunately these are all tutorials from BEFORE DCS 1.5.6.

As I stated I landed comfortably up to (and including) DCS 1.5.5 .

This would suggest that I am not the complete newbe you take me for.

I bought the Mig about the time it became available. I love it, I fly it regularly. I had some issues with activations - all taken care off.

I am a happy LN customer but: I knew how to land the plane, now in DCS 1.5.6 I don't.

Subscribed, curious about this as well. I thought I had the landings down, but they've been a challenge. Love flying this bird!

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

To get the feeling back, maybe you should try some touch-and-go's with like 400kph and then work your way down, just as a suggestion

But what i can give you as a hint, as normally in the fishbed, try to flare enough so you touch down very gentle and not slam your nose gear into the concrete

Hello,

I had exactly the same landing problem. I have not figured the correct procedure yet, but it helps if you level the plane over the runway from a usual >300km/h speed, do not reduce trust or change AOA, let the plane gently sit down and, this is crucial, just as the main gear touch the runway or even a split second before deploy your chute to avoid bouncing back up.

Hope this helps.

My current technique is very similar to what worked in mid-2015 (landing practice in the MiG-21 was one of my favorite things to do in DCS at that point). The FM changed quite a bit in the interim, but since the 1.5.6 update my old tricks seem to be working well and landings are more challenging again (which I like).

I think the most important part is flaring at the right time, but here is a quick overview of my technique which is working well for me at this point.

I find that a nice approach in the MiG-21 means really staying on top of heading, glideslope, and airspeed. The nose wanders a bit in the approach configuration, but small, consistent corrections keep things on track. Throttle corrections should be small while in the groove, meaning that your speed and descent rate are consistent. I'm keeping N1 RPM in the mid/high-80s at ~50-60% fuel. For a glideslope reference, I place the runway apron at the junction of the lower and lower middle quarter of the combiner glass. AOA is usually between 10-14 units indicated (though I don't glance at it much).

Airspeed is most critical. I generally fly the approach at 320-340 kph (generally closer to 320), but you need to keep a consistent instrument scan to maintain a steady approach speed. If I don't, I end up making too many big corrections and my sink rate can become excessive right before touch down.

Right before touchdown, I flare and pitch the nose up ~10 deg. Timing the flare right is probably the most critical part for a smooth/damage free touchdown. It takes practice, but once you find it gear damage will be rare IMHO. After the flare, I retard the throttle ~2-3 cm (TM Wh throttle) and gently touch the runway. Don't retard the throttle too much or you may lose BLC and sink excessively. Touchdown usually occurs 1-2 seconds later around ~280 kph.

This technique works for me, but practice is probably the most important part. Also, smooth consistent approaches deliver much better touchdowns in my experience and timing the flare is critical. Hope this helps a bit.

-Nick

Edited by BlackLion213
  • Like 1

keep your throttle up to 80-90% and you can land anywhere up to 400kph, even on the current version, though around 320kph it's easier... the reason you break your gear is you're throttling down too much before all 3 wheels are on the ground...

My youtube channel Remember: the fun is in the fight, not the kill, so say NO! to the AIM-120.

System specs:ROG Maximus XI Hero, Intel I9 9900K, 32GB 3200MHz ram, EVGA 1080ti FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME, 27" Samsung SA350 1080p, 27" BenQ GW2765HT 1440p, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p G-SYNC

Controls: Saitekt rudder pedals,Virpil MongoosT50 throttle, warBRD base, CM2 stick, TrackIR 5+pro clip, WMR VR headset.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks again I have a successful approach now.

Approach at 320KM/h, flaps full, gently lower to the runway - if bounce up don't panic just keep the same settings and do again.

The moment the plane is stabilized with 3 wheels down deploy parachute.

Works every time now.

• ED Translators

Our MiG-21 squadron was fighting new flight model too :D

regarding landing we had same concerns but since last stable version I did thorough checks and looks like its kinda legit.

fefwP9kvZSI.jpg

eBj9PRUhvS8.jpg

So I took checkpoints, 200m above first beacon, 50-70 above inner beacon, and looks like it did put me in good glideslope (glideslope from RSBN is wrong I think)...

As you see I did touchdown at ~295 KPH (range for touchdown by this IRL manual 280-300) and didn't bounce.

So my conclusion is: something is definitelly changed but I can't say that current state is not legit if I can make this landing...

PS In same version I also did bounced a lot until I did my study and tried that approach from IRL manual

Edited by P61

AKA LazzySeal

Traffic always gets me in the streets, not the nose gear slammin'. :-) Nice thread.

My controls & seat

Main controls: , BRD-N v4 Flightstick (Kreml C5 controller), TM Warthog Throttle (Kreml F3 controller), BRD-F2 Restyling Bf-109 Pedals w. damper, TrackIR5, Gametrix KW-908 (integrated into RAV4 seat)

Stick grips:

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thrustmaster Cougar (x2)

Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS

BRD KG13

Standby controls:

BRD-M2 Mi-8 Pedals (Ruddermaster controller)

BRD-N v3 Flightstick w. exch. grip upgrade (Kreml C5 controller)

Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle

Pilot seat

I had also the feeling that landings are much more harder to perform since 1.5.6. According to the comments and the video just above, it seems OK.

But still, I wonder if the gear's suspensions are out of tune and stiff like rock. Even during take off, I pull the stick at the last moment because the MiG doesn't like AOA anymore and the main gear bounces violently along the roll axis.

Edited by Bogey Jammer

I'll buy :

МиГ-23МЛД & МЛА МиГ-27К МиГ-25 Mirage III F-4E any IJ plane 1950' Korea Dynamic campaign module