Johnny Johnson's Spitfire IX ?

Basco1

Skinners could someone please create this as a skin for the Spitfire IX,it's Johnny Johnson's Spitfire IX.

Tamiya-Spitfire-Mk-IXc-1-32.jpg

Chillblast Fusion Cirrus 2 FS Pc/Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake CPU/Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1070 G1 8GB/Seagate 2TB FireCuda SSHD/16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory/Asus STRIX Z270F Gaming Motherboard/Corsair Hydro Series H80i GT Liquid Cooler/TM Warthog with MFG 10cm Extension/WINWING Orion Rudder Pedals (With Damper Edition)/TrackiR5/Windows 11 Home

Thanks Rock.....this would be very much appreciated :thumbup:

Chillblast Fusion Cirrus 2 FS Pc/Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake CPU/Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1070 G1 8GB/Seagate 2TB FireCuda SSHD/16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory/Asus STRIX Z270F Gaming Motherboard/Corsair Hydro Series H80i GT Liquid Cooler/TM Warthog with MFG 10cm Extension/WINWING Orion Rudder Pedals (With Damper Edition)/TrackiR5/Windows 11 Home

A few more pic references :smilewink: The tiny serial number reads EN 398,camo scheme is ' A '.

Spitfire9.jpg

Close up of Green Maple Leaf decal

spitfire-mk-ixc-wg-cdr-johnnie-johnson-no-144-rcaf-wing-1943.jpg

jejen398.jpg

Edited by Basco1

Thanks Friedrich,this was really appreciated buddy,nice read :thumbup:

Great read Friedrich. :thumbup:

If only H. Bath & Son Ltd knew how much that aircraft would be worth now!!! and they bought it for scrap.... :sad_2:

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

No problem Jocko....what i would say is,if anyone has any further picture references for Johnson's EN398,please feel free place on this thread :thumbup:

No problem Jocko....what i would say is,if anyone has any further picture references for Johnson's EN398,please feel free place on this thread :thumbup:

A very useful article on EN398 can be found on here, The Spitfire Site. Note that one reader has commented on the Maple Leaf insignia:

However, the maple leaves you depict are not correct. You show the 1965 heraldic maple leaf from the modern Canadian flag. Johnson would have used the type of leaf insignia common to the times, more naturalistic in its design, whether red or green.

According to Canadian researchers from an outfit called Aviaeology, it would seem that Canada supplied maple leaf decals to its overseas RCAF units, which would surely have included Johnson's Canadian squadrons.

All of the decals were red maple leafs, not green, so I would argue that EN398's maple leaf was red.

Below are some of the "1st generation" (14 & 14a) and "2nd generation" (15 to 15d) maple leaf insignia styles used by RCAF aircraft (NB:from one of Aviaeology's decal sheets AOD48005 Canadians in Fighter Command #1: RCAF Mosquitoes, featuring Mosquitoes of 418 Sqn.)

1-Doe005_zpsoxdqiemm.jpg

A close look at the photo in Basco1's post shows that Johnson's maple leaf was similar in style to 14 or 14a. (There also seems to be some wear/light exhaust staining.)

Also note that EN398, being a very early Mk IX, retained the teardrop shaped upper ID light behind the aerial mast.

• 2 weeks later...

Friedrich.....are you aware that there were a number of variants of Johnson's Spitfire IX with the code JE J ?.....because he was a Wing Commander he was entitled to sport his initials in the code.

The Spitfire IX I have been uploading pic references for definitely sported the Green Maple leaf,it has been well documented,this was when he was OC of Kenley Wing during the Spring of 1943,however on later variants his Spitfire did sport the Red version.

This is probably why you are questioning my references,his Spitfire IX which sported the D-Day black/white stripes had the Red Maple leaf for a start,and this is when he was OC with No 144 Wing stationed at Ford in June 1944,so there were different versions,with different Maple leaf emblems on,but all with JE J as the code.

Edited by Basco1

• 3 weeks later...

Yes that's the red one,just to show those interested the two aircraft that were generally used by Johnson,I have dug around my books and can now show you the two together.

There's the one he used in 1943,we will call this the Green one,and the other one that he used in 1944,we'll call this the Red one,I hope these will explain the confusion over the Maple leaf emblems.

These are going to make beautiful skins :)

skins%20001.jpg

skins%20002.jpg

Could the forum Moderator please move this thread into the Liveries/Skinning section of the Mods/Apps section please.

It was my mistake that I didn't start this thread in that,the correct section to begin with,thank you.

Sorry to cause any inconvenience :doh:

Friedrich.....are you aware that there were a number of variants of Johnson's Spitfire IX with the code JE J ?.....because he was a Wing Commander he was entitled to sport his initials in the code.

I have long been aware that Johnson used two or more IX's with his initials JE-J, and that MK392, in particular had several variations in its colour schemes and markings during it's lifetime.

The Spitfire IX I have been uploading pic references for definitely sported the Green Maple leaf,it has been well documented,this was when he was OC of Kenley Wing during the Spring of 1943,however on later variants his Spitfire did sport the Red version.

"Definitely" is the wrong word to use when there is still a great deal of contention among aviation historians and other enthusiasts as to the colour of the the maple leaf on EN398:

What specific documentation(I'm not talking about art work), apart from Johnson's account in Wing Leader, supports the Green maple leaf?

I'm not saying Johnson was wrong; all I'm saying is keep an open mind when it comes to

the specifics of aircraft colour schemes, particularly the smaller, personal emblems.

This is probably why you are questioning my references,his Spitfire IX which sported the D-Day black/white stripes had the Red Maple leaf for a start,and this is when he was OC with No 144 Wing stationed at Ford in June 1944,so there were different versions,with different Maple leaf emblems on,but all with JE J as the code.

I wasn't questioning your references, I was pointing out that other researchers have a different POV and that I tend to agree.

I have also pointed out that the red maple leaf was by far the most popular emblem used by Canadian units, and that the Canadian government issued specially made decals to RCAF squadrons.

This, I would have thought, is useful information for those wanting to develop Canadian themed skins for the L.F Mk IX.

Friedrich...........I am in not in a position to argue with you about this,as I was not around during the years 1943-44 to witness the said aircraft for myself,and I'm sure the red maple leaf was the most popular emblem with the Canadians.

However,this was my thread,that I started,and the pictures given were how I would like my choice of Johnny Johnson's skin depicted,with a green maple leaf,and at the end of the day that's all it is,an aircraft skin for a PC simulator.

I do not want to rewrite history here,and yes your information is useful,no one is denying that,but I rather think your taking this far too literally friend.

This forum is for requesting skins,and all I am doing here is just that,requesting a Spitfire skin as the pictures depict.....simples :)

Friedrich...........I am in not in a position to argue with you about this,as I was not around during the years 1943-44 to witness the said aircraft for myself,and I'm sure the red maple leaf was the most popular emblem with the Canadians.

However,this was my thread,that I started,and the pictures given were how I would like my choice of Johnny Johnson's skin depicted,with a green maple leaf,and at the end of the day that's all it is,an aircraft skin for a PC simulator.

I do not want to rewrite history here,and yes your information is useful,no one is denying that,but I rather think your taking this far too literally friend.

This forum is for requesting skins,and all I am doing here is just that,requesting a Spitfire skin as the pictures depict.....simples :)

:yes: Okay, you've got me there; one of my hobbies is model building, which means I can be a pain in the neck when discussing colour schemes and markings...old habits, etc etc :smilewink:

No worries :)...........and who knows,we may have both of our versions created.

:yes: Okay, you've got me there; one of my hobbies is model building, which means I can be a pain in the neck when discussing colour schemes and markings...old habits, etc etc :smilewink:

There can be just as much rivet counting, etc, in making liveries :)

(BTW, ED, I think there's too many cam lock fasteners along the aft edge of the upper cowling. Should be 7 for a late war Mk.IX I think) :music_whistling:

No, I'm serious.

And you may want to check the orientation of the slot in the cam locks when they are locked.

:D

Edited by jocko417

• 1 month later...