Grid-based Campaign Generator - Page 6 - ED Forums

Notices

View Poll Results: Does GCG interest you?
I'm interested in hearing more about it 128 99.22%
Not interested but good luck 1 0.78%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-20-2016, 03:16 PM   #51
Haukka81

Reputation power: 11
Haukka81 is a jewel in the roughHaukka81 is a jewel in the roughHaukka81 is a jewel in the roughHaukka81 is a jewel in the roughHaukka81 is a jewel in the roughHaukka81 is a jewel in the rough

Really "simple" and nice solution, Keep up good work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haukka81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 05:37 AM   #52
kontiuka
ED Translator

Reputation power: 15
kontiuka is just really nicekontiuka is just really nicekontiuka is just really nicekontiuka is just really nicekontiuka is just really nicekontiuka is just really nicekontiuka is just really nicekontiuka is just really nicekontiuka is just really nicekontiuka is just really nice

Hi, guys.

It's been a long time since I gave an update so just firing off a quick one. Despite the silence, I've been working hard on getting something ready to show you for the concept demo which should happen in the next few months.

In the meantime, I've just attached a couple of screens to give you a better idea of the grid layout. The first screen is just a small portion of the grid points that will eventually be in GCG. You might have noticed that the naming convention has changed. I'm no longer using the x-y coordinate system. Instead, I'm going by the MGRS coordinate system. This might seem like a cosmetic change but, under the hood, the old system had some debilitating restrictions regarding group movements which I won't get into. I've tried to place the grid points over strategic areas such as cities, airfields, and choke points like road way junctions or mountain valleys. The distance between grid points can also vary greatly (anywhere between 8 km to 40+ km) so some missions will be longer than others but that just adds to the variety.

In the second screenshot, I've placed vehicle groups simply to illustrate the possible paths between grid points. Note, these are not the actual routes that vehicle groups would take! In reality, groups would travel a combination of on-road, off-road, and formation to get to their destination depending on the terrain. This actually leads into what I've been up to the last 5 or so months. In my last update, I mentioned the use of placeholders for ground groups and so, the past few months, I've been fleshing out this idea. This was actually a ton of work in itself that I'll cover in a later update. But suffice it to say, I'm pretty satisfied with how groups are assigned routes or put into defensive positions and I think it's a good starting point for future enhancements.

I'm hoping I can play a little CAS campaign soon with the A-10 or the Su-25 just to put what I've done so far through the works. If nothing really ugly jumps out at me, then I'll share something more substantial with you.

TTYL. kon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GCG grid.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	705.6 KB
ID:	153434   Click image for larger version

Name:	GCG routes.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	749.9 KB
ID:	153435  
kontiuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 06:37 AM   #53
Haukka81

Haukka81 is a jewel in the roughHaukka81 is a jewel in the roughHaukka81 is a jewel in the roughHaukka81 is a jewel in the roughHaukka81 is a jewel in the roughHaukka81 is a jewel in the rough
Default Grid-based Campaign Generator

Nice to hear , Keep up good work.

How about logistics side? Maybe both sides should have 20 +/- 10 fighter planes and same for helos etc.. so it would be limited war , i just hope that you Keep it simple for now. (We get something to test / play sooner ) and dcs engine cant handdle 1000x units same time yet so "small wars" are good start.

Last edited by Haukka81; 12-15-2016 at 06:58 AM.
Old 12-15-2016, 03:32 PM   #54
kontiuka
ED Translator

kontiuka is just really nicekontiuka is just really nicekontiuka is just really nicekontiuka is just really nicekontiuka is just really nicekontiuka is just really nicekontiuka is just really nicekontiuka is just really nicekontiuka is just really nicekontiuka is just really nice

Hi, Haukka.

The grid will eventually extend to the 4 corners of the map so it will be possible for groups to move, for example, from Anapa to Tbilisi or Batumi to Beslan. So, the distances possible might tempt a campaign designer to put in a large number of groups with a large number of units. But as you pointed out, DCS has trouble handling a large number of units. There are probably a few ways around this. First is what you suggested with "small wars". The campaign designer can choose to limit the war to just a portion of the map and have just a modest number of units. Another possibility is to have only certain groups active in any given mission. Maybe another possibility is some version/hybrid of a bubble system. Stuff I'll have to consider as things mature.

As for release plans, I'd like to give you guys something in 2017. It will be very modest in scope but I'd like people to play around with it and give their feedback and suggestions.
Old 12-15-2016, 05:50 PM   #55
Haukka81

Ready to be beta tester

Old 12-15-2016, 06:17 PM   #56
kontiuka
ED Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haukka81 View Post
Ready to be beta tester
Old 03-20-2017, 06:16 PM   #57
kontiuka
ED Translator

Hi, guys.

This is not really an update. Still just working away on the ground forces logic. Seems never ending.

Just wanted to say though that, after Wags’ live stream this weekend, I’m excited about the Normandy map and looking forward to eventually implementing GCG in a WWII scenario. I’m going to focus on Caucasus for most of this year but I’ll probably change gears down the line and see what I can do in Normandy.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:11 PM   #58
Haukka81

Just get caucasus done first

Sent when im drunk with my iphone near me