Upgrade Steam Ka-50 for use with DCS World

Hello!

Hopefully this will be something simple; years ago I purchased the original Black Shark (on CD I'm pretty sure) and I loved it, then I got it on Steam as well (I can't remember why, I think I misplaced the disk), and then when Black Shark 2 came out I upgraded my Steam BS1 to that and all was well. Then I moved to Australia a couple of years ago and had to leave my computer at home in England, and have just finally managed to get a new rig for gaming and simming. Here is my new problem: I have BS1 on Steam, and I have my code for BS2 Upgrade as well, but now there is DCS World, which I've so far never used, and I am unsure how I am supposed to get BS2 on there without having to re-buy BS1 all over again as a standalone thing, which I'm not prepared to do.

I'm sure this must've come up numerous times and I've probably just missed the thread or something, but if anyone has any tips I'd be really appreciative!

Thanks guys!

Edited by Frakin' Toasters

I have BS1 on Steam' date=' and I have my code for BS2 Upgrade as well, but now there is DCS World, which I've so far never used, and I am unsure how I am supposed to get BS2 on there without having to re-buy BS1[/quote']

The old system required you to

• install BS 1 (any version, so steam will do)
  • install DCS World Standalone (AFAIK the steam version does not support BS2 upgrade keys)
  • install BS 2 upgrade
  • activate upgrade licence key when requested
  • uninstall BS 1 if not required (BS1 is only required to install, not to play or update DCS)

AFAIK the procedure has stayed the same and BS2 upgrades are still supported (but not sold).

If the Blackshark 2 Upgrade Module is not listed in module manager - navigate to "DCS World\bin", open a command window and type

DCS_Updater.exe install KA-50bs1

to download and install.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=114030

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

The BS2 Upgrade does not work on Steam. Steam has never sold the BS2 upgrade, so I don't have any idea how you upgraded it before. For use on Steam, you will probably have to purchase BS2 on Steam.

Edited by cichlidfan

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

[*]install DCS World ***Standalone*** (AFAIK the steam version does not support BS2 upgrade keys)

It appears he knew that already...

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

The BS2 Upgrade does not work on Steam. Steam has never sold the BS2 upgrade, so I don't have any idea how you upgraded it before. For use on Steam, you will probably have to purchase BS2 on Steam.

Blackshark 1 is a prerequisite to install "Blackshark 2 Upgrade". Blackshark 1 was sold on Steam as "DCS: Blackshark" and will be in an owners library, even though it is no longer listed for sale.

Blackshark 2 Upgrade was offered at a reduced price to existing owners of BS1, so checks for a valid BS1 install/registry keys. It does not care if the BS1 install is from a CD or from Steam

I own BS1 on steam and used it's install to validate and install the Blackshark 2 Upgrade (purchased from ED's E-shop) into DCS World Standalone in August 2012.

AFAIK the Blackshark 2 Upgrade will still work with DCS World Standalone (the last version that I installed it in was 1.2.16), it would be strange for ED to invalidate existing owners?

As you state, the Blackshark 2 Upgrade, will only work with DCS World Standalone.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

• 3 years later...
with the new BS2 DRM, this doesn't seem to work anymore.

ED will exchange your BS2 upgrade and BS1 licence keys for one "full" BS2 licence key.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=206574

Owners of the Steam version of BS1 "DCS: Black Shark" need a screen shot to show they have a copy in their Steam Account/Library as that version didn't have a CD key and IIRC uses Steam's DRM instead.

As a bonus, Steam owners get to keep access to BS1 and get a FULL licence for BS2 in exchange for their "BS2 Upgrade Key".

Edited by Ramsay

Owners of the Steam version of BS1 "DCS: Black Shark" need a screen shot to show they have a copy in their Steam Account/Library as that version didn't have a CD key and IIRC uses Steam's DRM instead.

As a bonus, Steam owners get to keep access to BS1 and get a FULL licence for BS2 in exchange for their "BS2 Upgrade Key".

Hi,

I'm a Steam owner of BS1. I didn't find where I have to send a screen shot to upgrade my BS2 key. Can someone help me?

Tks

I'm a Steam owner of BS1. I didn't find where I have to send a screen shot to upgrade my BS2 key. Can someone help me?

AFAIK you'll need to contact support.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/

ED will exchange your BS2 upgrade and BS1 licence keys for one "full" BS2 licence key.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=206574

Thank you! I will contact support to get it sorted out :)