HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

Got a Reverb coming for a try from the local VR headset rental chap down here, is handy to be able to try these headsets out for a while before buying. I have been quite surprised how uncomfortable I have found a few in the past. Reverb looks good thou - keen to see the res improvement and performance.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The Reverb won't power up unless you have WMR portal up and running so you need to get it installed first somehow. It will only power up after WMR portal initializes the HMD.

Unfortunately, I'm nowhere near that step yet. Windows wont update to 1903, so I'm trying to repair it now. WMR wouldn't even install. It keeps stopping and says it cannot install. I'm hoping I can get 1903 installed without having to slick my OS ssd. I'm so tempted to order the components I've been putting off because I've been saving for the Reverb, among other things. Im kicking myself for buying an iBuypower instead of building my own like I used to. Ateast with fresh, higher quality components I stand a better chance at success. Looks like the majority of my night will be getting Windows updated and error free.

In other news, the Star Tech usb card I ordered wasnt seated fully in the PCIe slot, so at least Windows recognized it once I noticed it. Not sure how I let that get by me. I blame old age. Downside is Windows auto installed drivers, and I'm pretty sure to push 900ma through the card via a SATA power cable is to use the manufacturer's drivers. They wont install because of the Windows drivers and when I uninstall those the manufacturer's .exe driver installation wont detect the card.

Guys, grab some popcorn and come on over, cause this shit is so comical I gotta share the laughs.

Edited by msgreene77

Intel i7 8700K / ASRock Pro 4 / 32 Gb Patriot Viper 3200mhz DDR4 / Founders Edition RTX2080 / 250 Gb Westgate SSD for OS / 1TB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD / Win 10 - 64bit / HP Reverb / VKB Combat Stick & Thrustmaster WarthogThrottle / MFG Crosswinds Pedals / 32 Input Button Box / Saitek Throttle Quadrant

Got a Reverb coming for a try from the local VR headset rental chap down here, is handy to be able to try these headsets out for a while before buying. I have been quite surprised how uncomfortable I have found a few in the past. Reverb looks good thou - keen to see the res improvement and performance.

I own a Samsung Odyssey +, and can say the Reverb felt amazing comfort wise. Instantly reminded me of wearing CV1. Light, comfortable and snug to the face without pinching. Very pleased in that regard.

Intel i7 8700K / ASRock Pro 4 / 32 Gb Patriot Viper 3200mhz DDR4 / Founders Edition RTX2080 / 250 Gb Westgate SSD for OS / 1TB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD / Win 10 - 64bit / HP Reverb / VKB Combat Stick & Thrustmaster WarthogThrottle / MFG Crosswinds Pedals / 32 Input Button Box / Saitek Throttle Quadrant

So I'm getting close to punching the button on the Reverb, and I have 2 questions. Can you remove the Reverb's earpieces and use your own headset, and is 60 fps+ possible with reasonable settings with a 1700X/32G/1080ti?

Yes earpieces are removable and there is 3.5mm plug. Not sure if using the plug disables built in mic, but it might.

Ive got a 2080 ti and in DCS it pulls 45fps with quite high gfx settings. Ive seen it get the 60s with lower settings but I cant tell a difference so i dialed em back up. Non DCS games are routinely 90fps. My system specs are below.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Do we know if stock is to be better now? I won't be home soon but I do want to get one as long as it's a new revision. Debating if I should order one now or wait until the 21st as that's when I'll be back home.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Do we know if stock is to be better now? I won't be home soon but I do want to get one as long as it's a new revision. Debating if I should order one now or wait until the 21st as that's when I'll be back home.

I ordered mine from HP since they aren't even shipping theirs until the 21st. They are also only shipping out the new revision. If you buy from another reseller right now, you have no idea if you are getting a new one or older model since you don't know if their stock was pre-existing. Forget that! lol

Some think if they just got theirs it must be a new model, but that's not how it works, unfortunately.

Ark

------------------

Windows 10 Pro x64

9900K @ 5ghz

Gigabyte Aorus Master Z390

32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB CAS 14

EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Ultra XC2

256gb Samsung 869 Pro (Boot Drive)

1TB - Samsung 970 EVO Plus

Seasoninc 1000w Titanium Ultra PSU

34" ASUS PG348

I ordered mine from HP since they aren't even shipping theirs until the 21st. They are also only shipping out the new revision. If you buy from another reseller right now, you have no idea if you are getting a new one or older model since you don't know if their stock was pre-existing. Forget that! lol

Some think if they just got theirs it must be a new model, but that's not how it works, unfortunately.

Yea I plan on ordering directly from HP but since I won't be back or near a PC anytime until the 21st I was wondering if they would sell out and I would have to wait another month or so. I will definitely not order from a third party even not from Amazon at this point since like you said who knows if they have old or new stock.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Yea I plan on ordering directly from HP but since I won't be back or near a PC anytime until the 21st I was wondering if they would sell out and I would have to wait another month or so. I will definitely not order from a third party even not from Amazon at this point since like you said who knows if they have old or new stock.

I was in the same boat as you and figured......it isn't exactly going to be cheaper in 6 days. LOL

Ark

------------------

Windows 10 Pro x64

9900K @ 5ghz

34" ASUS PG348

I finally tried my Reverb! Just before I boxed it back up ( Have a REV2 on the way)

There has been numerous reviews and I'm late to the gate, but I still wanted to relay my first thoughts as many may be ready to buy with REV being released.

Well......

I like it. I like it quite a bit. There are issues, but there are NO current alternatives in my opinion. As we all know it's all about the resolution! From my first moments with DK2, and right through CV!, this was complaint number1 for me. Resolution, and clarity!

Others have complained about comfort, FOV, colors, black levels, and more. All these being important but none as important as clarity and rez. I'm not a Gamer, but prefer either VR experiences, and realistic simulations, and the rez made everything kinda suck.

No More! Though I won't be happy until true photorealism, resolution is no longer a serious issue. because of this I'll go as far as to say this is the first and only Gen 2 HMD available, and the best option for those into VR experiences, and sims.

Comfort - Everything is perfect, just like CV1. Well done! Nothing else to add.

The bad. Yep, just as you guys have said, if you look slightly off to the side, the clarity drops. Well, I guess that's currently the price we have to pay for that fantastic front view. I'll just keep my eyes forward if that's what's required. FOV? Yeah that suck pretty bad. Just 20 more degrees would have been nice, but if using these same screens, that would have cut into the precious resolution, and lowered it horizontally. No thanks! Controllers? Usable I guess but that's about it. I'm not a gamer so who cares.

Lastly I compared it to my barely used 5K+. That FOV is fantastic, but the visuals. Ugg. I'm surprised the 5K looks so bad compared to Reverb. and I'm not sure it's much better than CV1? ( BTW No super sampling, this was just a basic raw compare.) The 5K FOV could be useful for sims, but I need to decide if it's worth keeping now?????

In conclusion. I'm happy I've gone Reverb. I picked the right one. I FEEL It is the absolute minimum acceptable resolution for sims, and eliminates the Index, Rift S, and pimax from my choices

This is the headset that should start bringing over monitor simmers in droves. It's not 1080, but it's now close enough.

Finally!

Edited by Wmacky

I was in the same boat as you and figured......it isn't exactly going to be cheaper in 6 days. LOL
Yea im not worried about price. Just concerned if HP will have stock when I get back as I don't have access to a PC or internet until I get back on the 21st. Right now I'm getting ready to leave for vacation but I figure I'll have a chance as soon as I get back to get one and finally replace my original odyssey.

Unfortunately, I'm nowhere near that step yet. Windows wont update to 1903, so I'm trying to repair it now. WMR wouldn't even install. It keeps stopping and says it cannot install. I'm hoping I can get 1903 installed without having to slick my OS ssd. I'm so tempted to order the components I've been putting off because I've been saving for the Reverb, among other things. Im kicking myself for buying an iBuypower instead of building my own like I used to. Ateast with fresh, higher quality components I stand a better chance at success. Looks like the majority of my night will be getting Windows updated and error free.

Back on some Win 10 18XX version, it would not update. Turned out a 3rd party virus protection program (NOT Norton) was making update throw a hissy fit. After uninstalling the program Win 10 updated normally. Just FYI.

Back on some Win 10 18XX version, it would not update. Turned out a 3rd party virus protection program (NOT Norton) was making update throw a hissy fit. After uninstalling the program Win 10 updated normally. Just FYI.

I appreciate it, but I didnt have any of that going on. I think I had a corrupted file. I tried every trick I know, but ultimately used a media tool to re-install. I'm good to go now. Everything is working perfectly.

So my Reverb came from ShopBLT, as I mentioned previously. Mine has the clip, but no idea if it is or is not a v1.2, or whatever some might dub em. I will keep my thoughts short.

One stop thought: I'm happy with it.

Details: The sharpness isnt as good as I expected. Screen door is not gone, however, it is barely perceived. You literally have to focus on it to see it. In my humble opinion, the sweet spot is about as big as any other HMD, and as others have said, the sharpness drops off quickly. FOV reminds me of CV1, or is roughly comparable. Smoothness is increased over my SO+, and that is instantly noticeable with high settings, 190% SS in Steam and 1.5 PD. The heat output is also comparable with my SO+. It gets warm, not hot. Now, it does get "stuffy." The unit is snug, but comfy, and it makes your face feel the warmth, and stuffy is the best description for sure. Lastly, headphones are garbage. They're on par with CV1, or SO+, but the left ear on mine cuts in and out, and that's even after tightening the screw.

Again, I'm happy with it for sure. DCS looks fantastic in it. Some pains to get it up and running, but a little effort goes a long way. If I had to describe it in one sentence, I'd say imagine an upgraded SO+, that is lighter, more comfortable, sharper and runs more smoothly. It isnt gen 2 for sure, but I think it's worth upgrading.

My HP order said shipping on 21st but I just got thr shipping notice tonight.
When did you place your order? I ordered today and it still says processing.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Ark

------------------

Windows 10 Pro x64

9900K @ 5ghz

34" ASUS PG348

Yea im not worried about price. Just concerned if HP will have stock when I get back as I don't have access to a PC or internet until I get back on the 21st. Right now I'm getting ready to leave for vacation but I figure I'll have a chance as soon as I get back to get one and finally replace my original odyssey.
You might want to wait since the guy above said their shipping date was listed as the 21st and he just got an Order has Shipped email already. :/

Edited by JG27_Arklight

Ark

------------------

Windows 10 Pro x64

9900K @ 5ghz

34" ASUS PG348

Well, my Reverb arrived from ShopBLT. It included the clip, but def says V1000, not V1000.2

I've tried running through setup, and the lenses won't power up. I checked and Windows 10 wants to update, but stops halfway through and won't finish. As a result, WMR won't install either. Fun. To top it off, Windows won't recognize the USB PCIe card I bought, so I cannot be sure my mobo is sending enough power to the HMD.

I'm going to have to pick it apart piece by piece, and figure out what's the problem. This is steering me toward a direction I've been trying to avoid, which is upgrading my mobo and doing a clean install of Windows. I really don't want to go through all that, cause if I'm getting a new mobo, I'm going to upgrade my case and cooling fan, too. That's pushing $400 - $500 after already sinking close to $650 for the unit. Geesh...

You need to swap your drivers. Pick from a list on your PC and install any ending in (Microsoft).

Edit... I see you are now good to go.

Edited by Tinkickef

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

Well my new Reverb arrived 24 hours ago. The Rift CV1 got mailed to a happy buyer today, sorry Rift, it’s been lovely but I’ve met someone else, she is soooo smooth and you’ve got to go ������

I want to know if the heatproblems are gone and the flickering? So please give some feedback. I am switching next week my reverb to a new one... :D

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

1565952627-voodoo.jpg

Thanks, I am curious, how it will end up. :D

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

Ordered from HP yesterday and it said, "Shipping 8/21", but I got my, "Your package is on its way", email today.

That was fast!

Hope it's the newer model. LOL

Ark

------------------

Windows 10 Pro x64

9900K @ 5ghz

34" ASUS PG348

I am sure they are the fixed ones short of HP lying. lol The main thing surprising me is they seem to have a lot more of them than the original release. Please let us know how it is ASAP. So far all I hear are Pro models shipping. HP said Standards are too and I am waiting for Best Buy to relist them so I can get mine replaced.

Ordered from HP yesterday and it said, "Shipping 8/21", but I got my, "Your package is on its way", email today.

That was fast!

Hope it's the newer model. LOL

I-7 8700K 5 Ghz OC, Trident Z RGB 32GB DDR4-3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming, ASUS RTX2080 8GB OC, NVMe PCIe M.2 1 TB SSD, EVO 1TB SSD, WD 1TB HD, WD Black 2 TB HD image, Corsair H150i Pro Cooler, HOTAS 16000FCS, Corsair Crystal 570X RGB case, Corsair RM750x Gold PSU, Razer Cynosa Chroma RGB keyboard, Razer Mamba Wireless Gaming Mouse, Samsung QLED 4K 82" :) TV/monitor. HP Reverb. Lenovo Explorer. IRL Private Pilot.