PointCTRL - Finger Mounted VR Controller

that's actually a good point to bring up. you can reset pointctrl by pressing the white button on the HMS at any time . if you lose your place during a procedure it's always good just to hit reset.

EDIT just to clarify, pressing the white button once just reboots pointctrl , compared to holding the black buttons and pressing the white button which resets all of your settings to the factory default Rift S

QUOTE==Panther=;3980910]Good old pc reboot solved the issue. I thought I rebooted after firmware update, but maybe I didn't. Either way it is resolved, sorry for the false alarm.

Edited by MilesD

Now shipping up to website Pre-Order Form date 2022/06/01

Pre-Order  Form Submission https://pointctrl.com/preorder-form/

PointCTRL Support Discord https://discord.gg/jH5FktJ

PintCTRL Website https://pointctrl.com/

PointCTRLsmall.jpg

Now, that is why having two cursors in DCS, one for each FCU, would be great! That video demonstrates the need bang on. ;)

SYSTEM: Mainboard MSI B360M Bazooka | CPU i7 8700k @ 3.2 GHz | RAM 2x8GB GDDR4 @ 2400 MHz | GPU Gainward GeForce RTX 2070 Dual Fan | 256GB SSD | Win 10 x64

DEVICES: MSI Optix 24" LED Curved | Thrustmaster Warthog | MFG Crosswind | TableMount MonsterTech

MODULES: A-10C | F-14 | F/A-18C | Spitfire | P-51D

Now, that is why having two cursors in DCS, one for each FCU, would be great! That video demonstrates the need bang on. ;)

Agreed, that's what I thought when watching. Although at the moment that startup is not yet in the ED F18C office:-)

Unfortunately very true. One day...

That video certainly makes my own office seem very depressing. Even putting the disks into the flight computer looks appealing!

SYSTEM: Mainboard MSI B360M Bazooka | CPU i7 8700k @ 3.2 GHz | RAM 2x8GB GDDR4 @ 2400 MHz | GPU Gainward GeForce RTX 2070 Dual Fan | 256GB SSD | Win 10 x64

DEVICES: MSI Optix 24" LED Curved | Thrustmaster Warthog | MFG Crosswind | TableMount MonsterTech

MODULES: A-10C | F-14 | F/A-18C | Spitfire | P-51D

Yes, center window ( have two stacked monitors)

Yes, cursor adjusted.

Yes, working with latest manual.

Hey Panther,

I missed your stacked monitors post. I wrote the code but didn't get a chance to test it with multiple monitors. did it work out as expected?

Miles

PointCTRLsmall.jpg

Hey Panther,

I missed your stacked monitors post. I wrote the code but didn't get a chance to test it with multiple monitors. did it work out as expected?

Miles

Yes, after that very important system reboot all is well.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

Hello Firecat. I reached out to MilesD about being put on the list to order a PointCTRL system for my HP Reverb VR headset . He advised me to post my request here in order to be put on the list. Thus this post. Please do so. Shipping will be to me in Avon, Indiana 46123, USA. Thank you and have a great day.

Miles...I followed the instructions on the first post (i am 45th in the list).

But I received only the automatic response via mail. Not the one with the invoice.

I am not in an hurry.

But I would like to know if everything is ok and you received my pm and email as instructed.

Thanks

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

Miles...I followed the instructions on the first post (i am 45th in the list).

But I received only the automatic response via mail. Not the one with the invoice.

I am not in an hurry.

But I would like to know if everything is ok and you received my pm and email as instructed.

Thanks

Your good Virus, I stopped shipping until I had the DCS center windowed view working and documented. Calibration was proving to be a bit of a challenge. I think its much better now.

I just started sending invoices again, yours should be coming soon,

Thanks for your patience,

Miles

PointCTRLsmall.jpg

Hello Firecat. I reached out to MilesD about being put on the list to order a PointCTRL system for my HP Reverb VR headset . He advised me to post my request here in order to be put on the list. Thus this post. Please do so. Shipping will be to me in Avon, Indiana 46123, USA. Thank you and have a great day.

Hi Phaze11111,

You have been added to the list link below.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3862014&postcount=690

Regards.

Just some helpful hints..

Sometimes you want to use the regular mouse in DCS. I do especially for anything 2d like the Mission Editor or maybe controls and options. Just reach up and push the left button on the HMS. The cursor will go from the middle of the screen up and to the upper left. When you want the 'finger pistols' to work, just push that button again.

I would recommend using a font size of 1.5 in the options and settings menu. It will make reaching up to select, especially during refueling, much much easier.

Usually, the mouse click on the Comms Menu will engage/press the highlighted selection but occasionally it will highlight it but the message isn't sent. Simply do it again. The 2D to 3D interface is probably to blame or the time the switch stays pressed (that would be mostly a me thing). Eventually this will be solved. Miles and Wags are talking about it in the Skunk Works, I'm sure.

I'm glad those that have received their units are finding they are an instant 'Can't fly without them' item as I have! So anyone wanting a 1:1 Tomcat cockpit, let me know! lol

i7-7700K, 32GB DDR4, 525GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080Ti 11GB, Liquid Cooling, Win 10, Warthog HOTAS, TPR Pedals, HP Reverb, Oculus Rift with Touch, Jetseat and bass shakers, PointCTRL, and Scale F-14B Cockpit

Gimme my finger pistols already!

giphy.gif

:thumbup:

So looking forward to these.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Critical Update

Critical Update Mariner3302 found a mistake in the calibration function, There was an issue with adjusting the cursor targets. You were unable to move the cursor targets left with the FCU during calibration.

Please update with Version 071919

Thanks and apologizes,

Miles

PointCTRLsmall.jpg

Critical Update Mariner3302 found a mistake in the calibration function, There was an issue with adjusting the cursor targets. You were unable to move the cursor targets left with the FCU during calibration.

Please update with Version 071919

Thanks and apologizes,

Miles

THANK YOU for being so responsive!!! :thumbup:

That keeps us :joystick: :pilotfly:

----------------

AKA_Clutter

Win 10 Pro, Intel i7 8700k @4.6 GHz, EVGA RTX 3080  FTW, Ultra 64 GB G.Skill DDR4 3600 RAM, Acer 27" flat screen, Oculus Rift S, HP Reverb G2, CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Rudder Pedals HOTAS, TM Warthog HOTAS, MFG Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5 Pro w/Vector Expansion, PointCTRL.

Just some helpful hints..

I'm glad those that have received their units are finding they are an instant 'Can't fly without them' item as I have! So anyone wanting a 1:1 Tomcat cockpit, let me know! lol

Thanks for the hints, mariner3302.

I am not one of the "instant "Can't fly without them" crowd" but they have certainly peaked my interest. I tend to be more in the "wait and see" camp. The first two weeks I had Track IR3, I hated it. After that I couldn't live without it. Similar thing with my Rift CV1. first couple of weeks , it seemed like a neat novelty but wasn't sure I wanted to fly with it all the time. Haven't flown flat screen in over a year.

So far I have used them about two hours in DCS. From that I can tell it will take some time for me to get used to it. I found a few times I wanted to go to the mouse because it was more efficient as I know how to use it. I stuck with it and it got a little easier. Also I haven'[t gone through the Edge Calibration yet, and I know that will help. It will take time to know what button to press when without thinking about it. And to develop a pattern on how to re-engage the FCU. If you are like me, then give then take the time to learn to use them.

I also agree with what mariner3302 said in an earlier post. when you get them, go through the first calibration part and then start using them, just to get the feel of them, determine which button you want for the left and right, and get the feel of the mouse wheel emulation. It will be well worth your time.

Any way, if they don't make you feel instantly like "I can't fly without them", then make sure to take the time to learn how to use them.

my 2 cents worth.

----------------

AKA_Clutter

Win 10 Pro, Intel i7 8700k @4.6 GHz, EVGA RTX 3080  FTW, Ultra 64 GB G.Skill DDR4 3600 RAM, Acer 27" flat screen, Oculus Rift S, HP Reverb G2, CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Rudder Pedals HOTAS, TM Warthog HOTAS, MFG Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5 Pro w/Vector Expansion, PointCTRL.

I am not one of the "instant "Can't fly without them" crowd" but they have certainly peaked my interest. I tend to be more in the "wait and see" camp. The first two weeks I had Track IR3, I hated it. After that I couldn't live without it. Similar thing with my Rift CV1. first couple of weeks , it seemed like a neat novelty but wasn't sure I wanted to fly with it all the time. Haven't flown flat screen in over a year.

So far I have used them about two hours in DCS. From that I can tell it will take some time for me to get used to it. I found a few times I wanted to go to the mouse because it was more efficient as I know how to use it. I stuck with it and it got a little easier. Also I haven'[t gone through the Edge Calibration yet, and I know that will help. It will take time to know what button to press when without thinking about it. And to develop a pattern on how to re-engage the FCU. If you are like me, then give then take the time to learn to use them.

I also agree with what mariner3302 said in an earlier post. when you get them, go through the first calibration part and then start using them, just to get the feel of them, determine which button you want for the left and right, and get the feel of the mouse wheel emulation. It will be well worth your time.

Any way, if they don't make you feel instantly like "I can't fly without them", then make sure to take the time to learn how to use them.

my 2 cents worth.

without edge calibration (and my monitor/rift configuration) it was very exhausting to keep the head steady enough while interacting, after doing EC it got so much easier, now i am changing switches, frqs and so on while low level or in the break intuitivly.

i know, its suggested to start without, but u wont get a good experience without doing it . IMO

my 2 cents worth.

Absolutely well said! I have had mine since the beginning and it is easy to forget that. So it may take a bit but it is SO worth it!

i7-7700K, 32GB DDR4, 525GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080Ti 11GB, Liquid Cooling, Win 10, Warthog HOTAS, TPR Pedals, HP Reverb, Oculus Rift with Touch, Jetseat and bass shakers, PointCTRL, and Scale F-14B Cockpit

without edge calibration (and my monitor/rift configuration) it was very exhausting to keep the head steady enough while interacting, after doing EC it got so much easier, now i am changing switches, frqs and so on while low level or in the break intuitivly.

i know, its suggested to start without, but u wont get a good experience without doing it . IMO

Hi Foxdelta,

I didn't seem to have that issue and could do thinks like program the countermeasures program in the FA-18.

I did do the edge calibration this morning and it does help to stabilize things. Mine still moves some, so I will probably have to redo. In reading through the pdf my impression was that it was VERY involved and would take a lot of time. AS it turns out it isn't all that complicated and took about 5 minutes. I also suspect my time will improve as I run through the calibration again.

So I guess my new bottom line is, do it which ever way you think will work for you the best. the Edge calibration is not all that involved and doesn't add that much time to the initial calibration. BUT bottom line is get it set up and start playing with it.

----------------

AKA_Clutter

So I guess my new bottom line is, do it which ever way you think will work for you the best. the Edge calibration is not all that involved and doesn't add that much time to the initial calibration. BUT bottom line is get it set up and start playing with it.

All great points, and I am happy to see everyone sharing. Just a note, edge calibration enables fine tuning if you were not pointing directly at the cursors during normal calibration. It is not a separate algorithm and only allows adjustment to where your finger was pointing during the calibration procedure after the fact. A good initial calibration may not require any edge calibration.

Please don't forget the practice video and procedure that corresponds to the picture at the end of the manual.

PointCTRLsmall.jpg

Questions and Random thoughts

Miles can you explain the idea behind the calibration? Is it to find the edges and then scale the hand motion to that distance. Seems to me that "point to a cursor", without any feedback as to where you are pointing, has a lot of variability that can not be accounted for. IMHO it would be better to say point to OSB1 on the left MFD and then point to OSB1 on the right MFD with a visible cursor. Knowing the geometry of the front panel would help scale better. again IMHO. Maybe a different scale for each cockpit? For me personally I do not like to stretch out my arms to push a button but just move my hand left/right to align the visible cursor over a button.

Sometimes the cursor is a little twitchy, would a "Dead Zone" help this?

Can a scale factor be added to slow down how fast the cursor moves?

Again all of this IMHO, just food for thought..We are all good:)

PC is designed and allows you to simulate actually pushing buttons and flipping switches in the VR cockpit. It also allows you to push/pull levers too as in the defog lever in the Hornet. So reaching out towards a panel is actually a large if not the main part of what we asked for in the beginning. It is a major part of what makes PC as cool a gadget as it is.

Calibration is necessary to align the cursor to your finger in different VR HMD's. It also allows you to fine tune the interaction. It works the same regardless of what aircraft you are in. It is also vital in getting a 2D device (the mouse) to interact in a 3d (VR) environment.

If you are only using it as a finger mounted mouse then you aren't getting as much as there is to this out of it and, in fact, are not using it in the manner it was designed. The twitchiness is caused by not reaching out in front of you.

This has been discussed ad nausem in this thread. I'm sure by searching through it you will find a lot of the answers to your questions. At this juncture, any change in how it works and what it gives you isn't practical since production has begun and the instructions and procedures have been worked out to fit nicely with what PC began and is marketed as.

Miles will want to jump in and discuss this, I guarantee, but hopefully it will be enough to realize it is what it is supposed to be now. I was the first one to get a paid for version and have been working with this long enough to tell you that getting to this point has been a long, long process. It has been rewarding though.

I went through the video and practice page of the Manual last night and everyone who is new at this or having trouble needs to do it. It will make the calibration easier. A lot is made about the calibration. It really is simple after you do it a few times. It seems to overshadow what PC is and does. As has been put out here before, do a quick calibration and USE PC. After you see what itn does and how much it gives you THEN start getting into the weeds of personalizing it.

Mariner3302, Please don't get defensive, please. I am just discussing different approaches. PC Is a 2D device. There is no 3D info available to PC (that I am aware of). We should treat it as a 2D device. To get a true 3D info, a stereo camera or additional info is required. I am not here to start a war. But we must be honest with each other if it is to improve..