How "alive" will the deckcrew be?

Keks

Just watched the Launch Operations video on youtube and uh boy, that looks promising.

But I have to ask what happens when you diviate or something happens?

Will random failures on have an impact? Will something like

for example happen for example?

What happens when you do something stupid? Like going back to idle after saluting. Will the deck crew just shoot you into the ocean or are they able to react?

What will happen when you for example dont proced while being guided? Will the guy just be stuck in his animation, or will he try to get your attention after a while?

Like yea I know its a game and there wont be any consequences for having your speedbrake out while saluting but things like your deckcrew leaving due to getting tired or your BS after aborting takeoff twice or so could be implemented :music_whistling:

I'd like to see the pilot kicked if he does not follow instructions from the deck crew after so many attempts, especially in multiplayer. There could also be a box we could check for the option or it could just be a default whatever the majority of players think is best. Having jokers fool around while others are trying to launch from the cats holds up the game for those trying to play the right way. Just my opinion.

Take a look !

Great clip.

What goes up, must come down !

Intel Core i7-8700, 16 GB-RAM, Nvidia GTX 1060, 6 GB GDDR5, 1TB HDD, 500 GB 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD, Windows 10/64, A10-C, Rhino X55, Persian Golf, F/A-18 Hornet

Take a look !

Great clip.

Yea thats why I am asking. While it looks very nice, and better than everything done so far, you can also clearly see that there still is a lot of room for improvement. Dont get me wrong its still wip. go to 9:30 for example. Thats not what I would call alive or think will be in the final product.

Not very if I'm landing...

I believe Wags has said the deck crew will be collisionless. I'm not sure if anyone has sand anything about complex/simple launch/recovery sequences. I can see where having to constantly mouse over communications options would be less rather than more immersive. Maybe if all of that could be bound.

Also haven't seen anything about recovery. I'm pretty blown away by launch, to be honest. Using directors to get from parking to cat would be awesome, but this is still in an early stage.

I could see a need in MP, which is supposed to be cooperative, a setting where failure to follow commands gets you booted. One player, out of spite or ignorance, can mess up a large number of other people's enjoyment.

Looking at what they have, and knowing it's not good enough to release, is mind boggling.

No matter what we get... it is never enough

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

No matter what we get... it is never enough

Even if you are looking forward to something, for some people you are still not doing your part, because you ask questions and if you apply enough twisted logic, it might seem like you dare to believe that something might not be perfect.

Edit: Sorry if I sound triggered, but I really hate this subtle way of pointing the "you are just a hater who cant get his mouth full enough" finger. I understand that as of now we have not seen the final product. However if everything would be good enough all the time, there would be no progress no going forward, no improvement. So yes, part of what defines us as a species is in fact that it never is enough, that we strife for progress.

Being ignorant towards mistakes, failures or room for improvement is a slippery slope that leads downwards at best.

Edited by Keks

TL;DR Too much AI, not enough benefit.

It seems like a lot of extra animating, coding, and development for very little benefit. I'm personally not interested in this.

Here is my opinion:

Will random failures on have an impact? Will something like

for example happen for example?

From watching that segment multiple times, it appears they aborted the launch because some sort of panel opened on the back of the aircraft. This sort of failure doesn't strike me as particularly interesting, and I don't think it should be modeled. From the pilot's perspective, all you see is a hand signal to idle down, and then you wait until given the signal to run the engines up again. It would be a lot less code and time on ED's part for the user to just roll a dice next to their computer, then idle the engines for 2 minutes before repeating the process... think of all the effort required to replicate the same thing within the software.

What happens when you do something stupid? Like going back to idle after saluting. Will the deck crew just shoot you into the ocean or are they able to react?

I absolutely think they should put you in the water, for several reasons.:thumbup::megalol:

1. It's funny.

2. Being able to experience the consequence of these failures is one of the benefits of using simulators. Perhaps you want to see what happens if you catapult with idled engines. Or you want to experience an engine failure on the catapult shot, so you have one engine turned off.

3. New users will have a very difficult time with the ground crew not authorizing a launch, and the user having no understanding why. The forum could be filled with relentless bug reports about how "the Supercarrier is a broken piece of junk" because they didn't set the flaps correctly or something. If the ground crew assumes the Pilot is GOD, and that they should never question him, they will happily launch him into the ocean. At least the user can have a hint that something is wrong, while knowing that the carrier module did it's job. There will still probably be relentless bug reports, but now they may be a little closer to the actual problem. Also that's still funny for anybody else in the server:music_whistling::thumbup:

4. It gets people off the Catapults instead of clogging them for experienced users....

5. ED already has a substantial amount of code with the deck crew checking various aircraft configuration states (wings, launch bar, deck position) and this would just add another pile of stuff the pilot should have accomplished anyways. Just dunk us if we mess up. There's barely any benefit to this from my perspective.

6. Your computer gets to process all that extra code, for every launch, even if you do everything correctly.

What will happen when you for example dont proced while being guided? Will the guy just be stuck in his animation, or will he try to get your attention after a while?

Again that's just extra animations and aircraft state checking. Just have an admin kick them back to spectator.

This also doesn't work in the context of the simulation. The carrier environment is highly regulated with specified launch times for missions. The pilots are professionals, as are the ground crew. A pilot isn't going to waste everyone's time on the deck. This situation is specific only to the computer game.

Like yea I know its a game and there wont be any consequences for having your speedbrake out while saluting but things like your deckcrew leaving due to getting tired or your BS after aborting takeoff twice or so could be implemented :music_whistling:

I disagree, but have some extra thoughts as well:

1. The pilot (and the simulator) should consider the aircraft airborne after salute. Thus, anything that happens after that command is given should be treated as an airborne emergency.

2. I think, as a standard, we should assume that the ground crew are perfect in their jobs, as was the pilot in doing the preflight inspection. I think it's fair to limit the failure simulation to scenarios that occur in flight.

3. Insufficient catapult power would be a great failure situation for the Supercarrier, and would be interesting to try and recover from, as would cable snaps after substantial deceleration.

4. I still think a set of animations for an aborted launch should be available. These could be activated when the pilot elects to abort the launch. I don't think ground crew initiated aborts are a good feature.

Edited by randomTOTEN